World Cup Qualifying General Talk

maqroll

Lets just agree to disagree and move on - I think it is a shock result and I think most people would agree with me on that. A 1 off result against Slovakia who are not all that 2 years ago does not mean much.

Anyway Colombia currently sitting pretty in the conmebol group after their 2-0 win tonight. They are awesome, Ecuador will join them too.

they came 3rd in their group in last qualifiers and could have got play-offs if keeper hadnt been redcarded vs Ireland in last game ;). That was a Slovakia team that won in Russia not many teams do that

we can move on but that was a pretty good Slovakia team

Well using your argument, Denmark beat the Netherlands in the Euros. Netherlands are one of the best teams in the world, and have world class players throughout. Netherlands have won every single world cup qualifier so far, they are the country in the world which has done this. :P

And in those 2012 qualifiers, Denmark beat Portugal, and came ahead of Portugal in the group. Portugal eventually got to the semis. I would argue that the Netherlands and Portugal teams that Denmark beat are a lot better then Slovakia. :D

Uruguay won away in Venezuela last night and are now back in contention for the playoff spot. They have overtaken Venezuela with only 4 games left. I think the top 4 are home and dry now. There is a 5 point cushion between 5th place Uruguay and 4th placed Chile. Peru are not out of it, but I think they have too much to do to get into 5th place.

Mexico seem to be really struggling to score goals. Only 1 win in 6 matches but the other 5 are draws. Surprised that a team with only 1 win can still be in an automatic qualifying spot. 

Chicarito has been quite poor lately. They desperately need Carlos Vela but he no longer wants to represent his nation after he got the boot a few years ago for a party. 

Edited by Czechlad

The Armenian national team is usually very talented when it gets to the attacking side, but their back line is just  horrible. Still, they made some progress in recent qualifying tournaments. If I recall correctly, there were in contention to qualify to the last Euros till the last group match. 

In general, the minnows are closing the gaps. Leaving San Marino aside, the progress made by teams as Liechtenstein, Azerbaijan or Kazakhstan makes playing them a very tricky encounter.

The Armenian national team is usually very talented when it gets to the attacking side, but their back line is just  horrible. Still, they made some progress in recent qualifying tournaments. If I recall correctly, there were in contention to qualify to the last Euros till the last group match.

They certainly did. We were in that group and they ran us close. We scraped a win in Yerevan and people were complaining at the time. It turned out to be a very good result in hindsight.

In general, the minnows are closing the gaps. Leaving San Marino aside, the progress made by teams as Liechtenstein, Azerbaijan or Kazakhstan makes playing them a very tricky encounter.

Yep, similar to how sides like Lithuania & Latvia used to be when they first broke away from Russia. They just parked the bus. Albania are another side that can have dangerous players going forward and upset some bigger sides.

Ok let me put this another way. Before the game last night if I had asked you to predict the score of the game between Denmark and Armenia in Copenhagen, what score would you have gone for? I guarantee none of you would have said anything close to 0-4 ....Say no more. But as has been said freak results do happen in football occasionally.

Some important African qualifiers coming up.  Although looking at the respective tables, the usual candidates will be in the playoffs. All 5 of Africa's places will be decided with a play off this time. I really hope the Ivorians qualify, so many talented players

Edited by Voinjama

I probably wouldn't have said 0-4 but I would not have ruled out an Armenian win. Probably owing to the games ROI played against them in the Euro qualifiers.

How do you rate Czech Republics chances of qualifying? I guess the Denamrk result would of pleased you yesterday. Do you think you can catch Bulgaria?

Czech will over take Bulgaria. We have to play Italy, Armenia, Bulgaria and Malta still. Bulgaria have exactly the same opponents in their last 4 matches. It will really come down to who wins in Bulgaria and who will do better against Italy. Czech should have beat Italy. Italy didn't even have a shot on target while we hit the post and have numerous chances. 

The Iran manager is pretty pissed off that South KOrea manager said he wants any team to qualify instead of Iran over how he got treated in Tehran.

could be tasty as Iran are in Korea and need a point to qualify

Czech Republic are strange in the fact that they always qualify for the Euros, but hardly ever qualify for the world cup. Denmark are now out of it after that Armenia result. If Bulgaria qualify will Berbatov suddenly come out of international retirement so he can play in a world cup like Dwight Yorke did.

Â