The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Little bit i heard yesterday, lerner was in birmingham at the time of last weeks cup game with spurs, buy didnt bother attending the game, he was expected but disnt show, the word is that the guy has completely lost his interest in football.

The money city, spurs, liverpool ect have now pales us into insignificance in respect as to what lerner could do for us, he saw us becoming like man city are now when he came in, but the revolution at city and spurs put stops to it... As soon as the club is back in the black, i think he will be actively looking for a buyer.

I did allude to this at the time.

Aircraft departed BHX 2 minutes prior to kick off

Obviously we can only surmise what RL's long term plans are but it is a fair assumption given our spending under PL, that he has decided we must trade within our means. I believe he wants out but what would he have to sell for to avoid any losses?

With the extra SKY funding AVFC must now worth a lot, lot more than the £64 million he paid. If the club still owes him £100 million plus lots of interest, would any of the financially astute members like to hazard a guess as to what the club is now worth and what the club's value would need to be if RL wanted to sell and avoid losses? Would £200 million be about right? And are we worth that much?

Blandy took an educated guess at this way back in the thread. I can't remember the figure, but it was silly money (iirc); especially for Randy to make a profit on the club (when you account for initial outlay and money ploughed in thus far).

I thought Lerner paid a lot more than 64m for villa. I thought the 64m was initially for dougs 53%?

I seem to remember that £ 64 million was the price for 100% ownership of AVFC. I think in the end he actually ended up with approx 97/98% ownership of Villa (because a number of fans wouldn't sell their individual shares), but that didn't matter to RL because AVFC then ceased to be a plc. Doug got a fair bit less than £30 million for his shares. (didn't he hold about 40% in shares?)

He'll sell within three years...but the grass is not always greener. Hopefully Lerner doesn't just sell to any old punter, but to someone with integrity, credibility and resources.

• Like 1

He'll sell within three years...but the grass is not always greener. Hopefully Lerner doesn't just sell to any old punter, but to someone with integrity, credibility and resources.

Just because there have been a few bad owners in the prem (Lerner, Venky's etc) it doesn't mean the next one will be as bad. The mismanagement of the club over the past few years is something that will take time to clear up though. This is the fault of one man.

Edited by dodgyknees

I still like Lerner and appreciate the constant and steady funds he makes available for players.

It is also important to note Lambert likes Lerner and talks him up a lot. Lambert is not a man to give out false praise to his chairman as we know.

I hope Lerner sticks around, he is a good owner we could do worse, much much worse.

• Like 1

You can give Lerner some credit for sprucing up the stadium and restoring the Holte Pub. But he hasnt improved us on the pitch, which is the most important area.

We've had three relatively good seasons in eight years, all of which were acheived through financial backing. His legacy will be one of expectation and hope followed by mediocrity and disappointment.

I just hope he doesnt leave us in a worse state than Doug (i.e relegated) by the time he does the good thing and sells up. I have a feeling he'll be off within the next two years anyway.

Lerner hardly counts as a "bad owner" if we're talking about the history of the Premier League as a whole. If you're mentioning him in the same breath as Venkys then you really need to get some perspective on how bad owners can actually be.

Debt, three relegation fights in a row, the appointment of McLeish and the unwanted records under him, our worst defeat in recent memory under his tenure too, some that can be put down to having to bed in young players as we reduce debt, HIS debt, he no longer comes to games, he gave just 10m net to spend this window and he doesn't care any more.

If we had indeed been relegated under McLeish, his 'record' as an owner would be very comparable to the Venky's and isn't too far off it now.

I still like Lerner and appreciate the constant and steady funds he makes available for players.

It is also important to note Lambert likes Lerner and talks him up a lot. Lambert is not a man to give out false praise to his chairman as we know.

I hope Lerner sticks around, he is a good owner we could do worse, much much worse.

I might walk outside and get hit by s bus tomorrow.

I might walk outside and get hit by s bus tomorrow.

Dont do that, you will miss the Hull game.

We could do worse...

but that doesn't make him a good owner!

Debt, three relegation fights in a row, the appointment of McLeish and the unwanted records under him, our worst defeat in recent memory under his tenure too, some that can be put down to having to bed in young players as we reduce debt, HIS debt, he no longer comes to games, he gave just 10m net to spend this window and he doesn't care any more.

If we had indeed been relegated under McLeish, his 'record' as an owner would be very comparable to the Venky's and isn't too far off it now.

If you genuinely believe that Lerner is as bad as Venky's then you either need to do more reading on what they did to Blackburn Rovers, or you need your head examined. I'll assume it's the former, but your argument is so laughable I can honestly barely believe you're actually trying to justify it...I assumed it was hyperbole you were using for effect, so I thought I'd call you out on it. You really believe it though?

The Lerner hatred on here is a bit OTT imo.

He had a right good go at spending us up the table, but he simply isn't wealthy enough to continue doing so.

I say judge him by who he sells to, simple as that. Hopefully he's spending his time hobnobbing with Arabian royalty.

• Like 1

If you genuinely believe that Lerner is as bad as Venky's then you either need to do more reading on what they did to Blackburn Rovers, or you need your head examined. I'll assume it's the former, but your argument is so laughable I can honestly barely believe you're actually trying to justify it...I assumed it was hyperbole you were using for effect, so I thought I'd call you out on it. You really believe it though?
If we had gone down under McLeish, RANDY's debt would have led to financial problems like Leeds.

His debt has suffocated the club and could have cost us our place in the premiership and has left us with a great deal of problems, meaning we cannot compete with clubs who are much much smaller.

What Venky's have done is bad, this doesn't excuse Randy for being one of the worst owners in the country.

Hyperbole, isn't that EXACTLY what cane out of the Randy PR campaign for the first 4 years?

Edited by dodgyknees

Â