The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I still have a big dislike for Randy Lerner for his near catastrophic mismanagement of this club. It would take actual investment on his part in the playing staff to change my views. Every penny he's put into the clum has been in the form of low interest loans. Lets not forget that.

I don't know the exact details of his investment here, but I know that is wrong.

You don't know the details of his investment but know that's wrong? Go figure.

As Risso will remember a few years back all the details of his "investment" in the club became public. All money he has put in was in the form of low interest loans paying 2% + Libor interest. 

Sorry mate, but you've got this a teensy bit, (OK, a lot :) ), wrong.  Lerner has put money into the club split roughly 50:50 between equity and loans.

Lerne has made his fair share of mistakes but seems to be putting them right with Lambert and backing him in the transfer market. 

I stopped right there.

Why?

Re-reading what i wrote i guess it could be misconstrued. I was more trying to point out that lamberts transfers (for the most part) are low fee's/low wages and potential where as in th past it has been the complete opposite. If Lerner was as stupid as some make out then we would have mark hughes or someone of that ilk in charge blowing money on sub par premiership players. All indications are that Lerner has learnt from that approach hence the massive change over the last 2 years in the way the club is being run.

Its to early to tell one way or the other at the moment. The only definitive answer will come when the Window slams shut, so im happy to wait and see. Im only basing my ideas on Lambert s quotes and the way the club has been run for the last couple of seasons, and the fact his lost interest since the divorce.

Its no coincidence our fortunes changed at the same time. But who knows?

I still have a big dislike for Randy Lerner for his near catastrophic mismanagement of this club. It would take actual investment on his part in the playing staff to change my views. Every penny he's put into the clum has been in the form of low interest loans. Lets not forget that.

I don't know the exact details of his investment here, but I know that is wrong.

You don't know the details of his investment but know that's wrong? Go figure.

As Risso will remember a few years back all the details of his "investment" in the club became public. All money he has put in was in the form of low interest loans paying 2% + Libor interest. 

CV, I think you're missing the point - yes Lerner put money into the club in the form of loans and yes they were at the rates of interest you've listed - but at the same time he also put money directly into the club. No one's saying he didn't make the loans, it's just not the only thing he did - and, he's now written off the interest on those loans.

He may have wasted just about all of it, but he's put a lot of money into the club.

Is there any up to date account info Risso? Seems odd the only thing I can find is from 2008 accounts. 

My gut says he's getting the club back on a financially attractive footing for a sale. Especially as the new tv deal etc.. will be putting our accounts into the black. 

Edited by CVByrne

Is there any up to date account info Risso? Seems odd the only thing I can find is from 2008 accounts. 

My gut says he's getting the club back on a financially attractive footing for a sale. Especially as the new tv deal etc.. will be putting our accounts into the black. 

I suspect there's nowt wrong with your gut. :)

At the end of the day we'll all have our own opinions of Lerner. I just can't get over his mismanagment of the club and the appointment of McLeish. 

We've come to far, I don't think it's a relationship that can be healed. I'd like him to go and just do right by us and find the right new owner. 

Opinions are opinions. That is my one. 

• Like 1

If the future becomes as bright as it is looking at the moment and Lerner shows he cares and can put right his past mistakes I don't see why the majority of Villa fans wouldn't forgive him. Only those with an agenda will continue to put him down.

• Like 1

Some people will have formed their opinion of Randy and no good he does in the future will make a difference. They'll want him out purely, for example, because he hired McLeish in the first place.

If the future becomes as bright as it is looking at the moment and Lerner shows he cares and can put right his past mistakes I don't see why the majority of Villa fans wouldn't forgive him. Only those with an agenda will continue to put him down.

I'm still with CV on this one.  We've had three successive years of battling relegation and selling our best players.  If Lambert hadn't found the gem of the year in Benteke, we'd have been relegated.  We have to hope that the policy of only buying cheap, young players proves successful where it's failed for the likes of Wigan.  Lerner's got a long way to go until he's back in the black financially, and also for making up for past mistakes when running the club as far as I'm concerned.

That's fine. I know he's made mistakes, but I'm also open to him proving over the next season or so with Lambert that we've turned a corner, he's learned from his mistakes and we're moving forward.

• Like 1

Staying up gives us/him a chance of turning things round, going down would seriously have scuppered us.  There can't be many industries where you can make such a catalogue of mistakes and then a third party over which you have no sway comes along and chucks a skipful of money at you.

And those with a different agenda will have no problems with the performance of the club, or if they do, lay a small portion of the blame on the man who owns the club.

Lerner has put money into the club but let's no forget how cheap he purchased us for. Around £40 million for a club like us is ridiculous. While putting in money he'll know full well the value of the club will be a lot higher than £40 million when he comes to sell it.

Edited by Big_John_10

It would be nice to think that Lerner has somehow transformed into an entirely different person, who suddenly understands how to run a football club and not waste his money in the most alarming fashion. But it is hard to believe this will actually come true. If what's being said in the Bent thread is correct, he is just about to write off £12m capital at least on selling Bent for a song. This is a bellwether for the lack of sensible and sustained investment strategy that he has presided over.

He got lucky with Lambert and Lambert got lucky with Benteke but we can't expect that to be a regular thing.

• Like 1

just for the financial posts above.

Randy put in around £105m as equity (ie: doesn't have to be paid back).

He also put in around £105m as loans with low interest rates (Libor +2%).   He never took any of the interest over the years of the loans, and as at last year this had added up to £21mill interest owed in total.   Randy then wrote off this £21mill, in effect giving all his loans interest-free.

Overall hit to Randy - £64m to buy club +£105m equity + £21m interest write-off = £190m.   plus £105m loan still outstanding.

I dont want us to be a club that constantly sells our best players.I dont want us to be a feeder club for the big boys in the PL. 

I would like Lerner to either sell or give the $$$ to be a mid table club at least.

I'm glad the myth that he's only given us money in the form of loans has been debunked (again). The shareholder loans were low interest, junior debt which effectively means they were equity injections anyway; this is especially so with the waiving of interest.

BJ10, it's been calculated previously that, whilst RL bought the club for 40M, he'd have to sell for an awful lot more in order to recoup the initial outlay plus all of the money pumped in thus far.

• Like 1

just for the financial posts above.

Randy put in around £105m as equity (ie: doesn't have to be paid back).

He also put in around £105m as loans with low interest rates (Libor +2%).   He never took any of the interest over the years of the loans, and as at last year this had added up to £21mill interest owed in total.   Randy then wrote off this £21mill, in effect giving all his loans interest-free.

Overall hit to Randy - £64m to buy club +£105m equity + £21m interest write-off = £190m.   plus £105m loan still outstanding.

Well with those figures. he's just not going to let that continue. Lets hope he does still care and not sell us without finding a decent owner.

I don't think anyone can seriously question Lerner's financial commitment to the club. Yes, question his wisdom for giving O'Neill such a free reign, yes, wonder what on gods earth made him think it was a smart idea to appoint Alex McLeish, but the guy has put his own money in in spades. To me that says he does care. He just knows we need to be run differently now. Fine by me. I'm in no rush to see the back of him, the grass ain't always greener...

• Like 1

Â