The Randy Lerner thread

CI

A bit of an aside here but being based on the south coast presently and having to entertain my sister's other half I decided to venture to St Mary's to watch the top of the table clash in the Championship last night.

The atmosphere was electric, the ground very nearly a sell out (and a ground record so beter than any attendance when Southampton were a PL side) the game was entertaining with both side creating opportunities to score and both sets of fans singing (regardless of which section of the ground they were in, something we're shocking at in Villa Park) throughout the game.

I paid £27 for my ticket and dont feel at all ripped off for that, it may be because I went to the ground as a neutral and didn't have the emotional investment in watching my team hold onto to a narrow 1-0 lead, but as far as I could see everyone around me was enjoying themselves and getting behind the side.

So what is it Southampton have got in the Championship that we cant recreate in the PL? They certainly weren't there for world class international players.

On a another side note Big JC was shocking for West Ham.

Impossible to compare. Southampton are a team on teh uip playing as a team with confidence. brighton were the same but have now hit the buffers slightly. Southampton have maintained that winning mentality from last season and it does not matter what division you're in your supporters just want to see you win. lets see the atmosphere and the attendances when the winning stops.

I can only go on why I did not buy 2 STs this year for the first year in a long time - RL's appointment of McLeish. This said two things for me - RL has no respect for the Villa fan and we will be playing boring football for the foreseeable. Why would I want to support that?

interesting comment from the US regarding the Browns

"The Browns will never improve until Lerner sells the team to an owner that actually cares about football. Just look at how well the Parcells rental worked down in Miami. Holmgren will be back in Seattle a richer man and the Browns will be in no better shape than the day he took over."

seems it's not just Villa he is holding back then ...

I'd go further than that, our football now is no worse or better than at any time during the past 10 years.

very much agree with this

But what we had for a few seasons was 'hope' 'expectation' 'excitement about the future' call it what you will. Thats whats the difference - reality is was are going nowhere so why bother?

I'd go further than that, our football now is no worse or better than at any time during the past 10 years.

But what we had for a few seasons was 'hope' 'expectation' 'excitement about the future' call it what you will.

And then Sheikh Mansour bought Man City

I wouldn't.

Under MON, for example, we played with a hell of a lot more spirit and self-belief, which made us a much better team.

"The Browns will never improve until Lerner sells the team to an owner that actually cares about football. Just look at how well the Parcells rental worked down in Miami. Holmgren will be back in Seattle a richer man and the Browns will be in no better shape than the day he took over."

Yes he's holding both back because he wants to not, not because he cannot afford to.

Yes he's holding both back because he wants to not, not because he cannot afford to.

A lack of funding (relative to Mansour etc.) didn't make him appoint a board who know nothing about football or running a £100m turnover niche consumer business. A lack of funding didn't make him appoint a manager that has a very poor track record in the Premier League, both in terms of results and performances, whilst simultaneously alienating a large portion of the supporter base. A lack of funding doesn't make him not have a PR strategy. Whether or not he cares about football he has not, IMO, demonstrated that he knows a great deal about it recently.

A lack of funding (relative to Mansour etc.) didn't make him appoint a board who know nothing about football or running a £100m turnover niche consumer business. A lack of funding didn't make him appoint a manager that has a very poor track record in the Premier League, both in terms of results and performances, whilst simultaneously alienating a large portion of the supporter base. A lack of funding doesn't make him not have a PR strategy. Whether or not he cares about football he has not, IMO, demonstrated that he knows a great deal about it recently.

Agree completely.

Makouns grin can't grasp the concept that people in charge need to make the right decisions and not just spend money.

He is reaping what he has sowed over the last 16 months. We struggled last season sitting in or around the bottom 3 for most of it and we are again heading in the same direction. Attendances have also been pretty dire.

We made 22 mill in transfer dealings over the summer. That may seem like chicken feed to the amount we could well lose.

Whatever happened to the dream team? Lerner the 'model' owner who empowered an outstanding manager in the shape of MON and better still we had a director of the club in the shape of the General actually talking to the fans. It all seems a very long time ago.

Whatever happened to the dream team? Lerner the 'model' owner who empowered an outstanding manager in the shape of MON and better still we had a director of the club in the shape of the General actually talking to the fans. It all seems a very long time ago.

Yeh really does .

Shame the way things have panned out.

Well MON was never an outstanding manager and thus by allowing him to have so much control Randy made a big mistake.

Â