The Randy Lerner thread

CI

absolutely terrifying thinking about how much cash it will take to rebuild the squad and replace the manager. i dont think Lerner has it, hence why theres no doubt for me that Mcleish will stay, be given about 10-15 mill and told to get on with it.

We need a quality CM at the double else we are going down next season.

for example at the end of last season, villa released 10 players:

NRC,

Big John Carew,

Robert Pires,

Moustapha Salifou,

Isaiah Osbourne,

Harry Forrester,

Arsenio Halfhuid,

Durrell Berry,

Ellis Deeney and

Calum Flanagan

I can see a similar sort of clear out this season, with the four big names (salifou, of course, nrc, carew and pires), being replaced by guzan, king carlos and emily, with a bunch of other fringe players, academy kids and people like andy marshall and jenas (who returns from loan).

You also have collins, dunne and warnock with only 1 year left, although they will not be included in this 10, as they will need to be sold, as opposed to released.

I also note that Lichaj, of all the kids, is the only one with only one year left on his contract - the lads certainly done enough for an extension... sign him up...

i don't buy that for a second

our first team squad consists of 30 players. of those 30 players:

1 is a loan from spurs leaving at the end of the season

1 is going to have to retire due to illness

4 are out of contract at the end of the season

6 have started less than 10 league games in their whole careers

i really don't think we can afford to cut 10 players unless we're cutting the 10 weakest and replacing them with 8 better players

I agree that to cut another 10 (well 7 if you take it that Guzan, Cuellar & Heskey are going) is madness. I am just passing on what I have been told.

I wouldnt be surprised if Collins, Warnock, Ireland, Gabby and Bent all go in the summer, especially if McLeish is still here.

Time will tell how accurate my source is

There are some that will not accept any blame to Lerner

I haven't noticed any one on here that does not accept any blame for him, but there you go.

I think that his knockers, some of whom have very credible and articulate viewpoints, devalue their contributions with constant mentions of letters from Ferguson and the legendary tattoo.

Totally right IMO. That's how it seems to me too.

This for me too.

It's like when people call McLeish "McStupid" or "McRelegate"

What they say is probably totally right and I totally agree with them. But they ruin their credibility with that.

Guzan

Carlos (sadly)

Heskey (finally)

Collins

Warnock

Delfoneso (never going to make it here so time for him to try and make a career somewhere)

Makoun (if AM stays)

Possibly Petrov depending on what is happening with him

Plus 3 nippers

So can quite easily be done as long as we find buyers for players which will cost a bit in Collins, Warnock and Makoun. Maybe get £8m for the lot??

Plus £20m investment from Randy?? Might be a bit hopeful

Leaving us needing

A cheapy reserve GK - Freeby no idea who

1 new CB to play alongside Dunne with Clark and Baker as first choice reserves. (Will spend some money here I think maybe that Douglas guy £6m?)

A new LB - ??

2 new CM - Heard a lot of Guthrie rumours on free and one for some money ??

A new CF - ??

Personally think we need another wide player in addition to Holman.

Damian Comolli wasn't at Villa Park on Sunday according to the man himself on TalkSport's Keys and Gray just. So all that talk about Randy inviting him to the game were absolute bollocks, don't get why people make this kind of stuff up.

Damian Comolli wasn't at Villa Park on Sunday according to the man himself on TalkSport's Keys and Gray just. So all that talk about Randy inviting him to the game were absolute bollocks, don't get why people make this kind of stuff up.
The presenter on Radio WM stated he was there.

Perhaps what he saw was that bad he is distancing himself as far from us as possible.
Good. You don't throw petrol on a fire to put it out.

Guzan

Carlos (sadly)

Heskey (finally)

Collins

Warnock

Delfoneso (never going to make it here so time for him to try and make a career somewhere)

Makoun (if AM stays)

Possibly Petrov depending on what is happening with him

Plus 3 nippers

So can quite easily be done as long as we find buyers for players which will cost a bit in Collins, Warnock and Makoun. Maybe get £8m for the lot??

Plus £20m investment from Randy?? Might be a bit hopeful

Leaving us needing

A cheapy reserve GK - Freeby no idea who

1 new CB to play alongside Dunne with Clark and Baker as first choice reserves. (Will spend some money here I think maybe that Douglas guy £6m?)

A new LB - ??

2 new CM - Heard a lot of Guthrie rumours on free and one for some money ??

A new CF - ??

Personally think we need another wide player in addition to Holman.

As above

Guzan, Cuellar & Heskey have definitely gone.

Makoun and Delph have hardly figured (have been out on loan)

Petrov - sadly

Thats 6 players who like last years bunch who havent figured that much in the starting eleven.

Would be a stretch for 2 or 3 of the young kids to be let go and you aint that far of 10 are you.

I think that his knockers, some of whom have very credible and articulate viewpoints, devalue their contributions with constant mentions of letters from Ferguson and the legendary tattoo.
That's fair point actually.

Without wishing to put words in anyone's mouth who may be against Lerner but I would replay that argument in reverse. That many in support of Lerner use such things as a Pub, mosaic, bodymoor or in fact the tattoo (predominantly this as a sign of his apparent support for the club) as so called evidence of what a good owner he is, ignoring the more substantive points about the football progression.

In that case you can therefore no doubt understand that those anti Lerner would use those points as counter argument.

I've heard the tattoo mentioned many many times on here, the vast majority of times it's been used in a sarcastic manner as a way of mocking those who support/have supported Lerner.

The rest are fair points though.

I've heard the tattoo mentioned many many times on here, the vast majority of times it's been used in a sarcastic manner as a way of mocking those who support/have supported Lerner.

The rest are fair points though.

A lot of the time, the General used the tattoo as a way to prove Randy's so called support. Things like 'remember, Randy has a tattoo' as a reply to any criticism. If you love the club, you do not need a flash tattoo, or the need to bring it up all the time. It was cheap, tacky and not exactly a way to answer fans genuine questions. So, the tattoo comments are down to the General using it constantly, much like 'ring Nicky Keye'.

That many in support of Lerner use such things as a Pub, mosaic, bodymoor or in fact the tattoo (predominantly this as a sign of his apparent support for the club) as so called evidence of what a good owner he is, ignoring the more substantive points about the football progression.

dont remember last time this was mentioned by anybody defending Lerner plus bodymoor shouldnt be mocked as all clubs need top facilities

In my view he has tried to do well in all aspects of the club. Where he has succeeded has almost universally been the stuff that isn't related to having a knowledge of football. He was able to rebuild the pub, rebuild the training ground, do the mosaic. I'm sure there are community programmes that I'm not fully au fait with as someone not locally based. All stuff you can throw money at and get it built.

Where I think he has also tried in equal measure both financially and in good intention is to turn us around on the pitch. But he has found that harder to do. Firstly because it IS harder to turn a football team around than it is to lay bricks and mortar, but also because he had to learn that part of being an owner. He had to make mistakes and he has made those mistakes. But crucially for me he made them honestly and he did it with the club's interests at heart. He ploughed millions in but it didn't quite get us there. Some can not get past the mistakes. To them he has made mistakes and that's enough to hang him.

His biggest mistake was giving free financial reign to a manager because he thought it was the right way to go. He was wrong and he should be held accountable for it. Reading this forum you can see he absolutely is held accountable. But he wasn't doing it for anything other than to see us progress. We almost did. We almost cracked it. Now we're having to start again. He has made some poor managerial appointments but this season, by the skin of our teeth, we have gotten away with it once again. I've had this discussion earlier. At the moment there is a lot of ill-feeling towards Randy Lerner. The necessary tightening of the belt to avoid us 'doing a Leeds' is seen as being financially prudent while simultaneously being perceived as some kind of a lack of interest in the club. Well which is it? All it takes is one good appointment and this will turn around. Just one. Whether it be by hook or by crook, if the next guy he brings in gets it right then the fickle football fan might start to rationalise everything that has gone before as being somehow part of the bigger plan. And of course it will be.

No matter who takes over next, they will be taking over a much smaller wage bill and they will be taking over a club at such a low ebb with such a gulf between the fans and the club that they would have to be an unmitigated disaster to fail to have any kind of positive impact on the place. I make the comparison because I think it is apt. Mike Ashley is still the buffoon with an expensive play thing and no real clue how to run it. But he jammied a good appointment and now it's all (or mostly) forgotten. I genuinely think Randy is one good appointment away from getting many on side. He just needs to go and do it. Granted, he might go and sign another McLeish and if he does then there'll be hell to pay. But he mightn't. And then what?

All I'm saying is, we're about to be free of the financial chains bought for us by MON and a then-inexperienced Randy Lerner. Let Randy start Villa project #2 and see what happens this time around.

Â