The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Surely the logical move would have been to appoint Sid & KMac rather than panic and appoint McLeish, thus avoiding compensation and a high risk, volatile appointment that will probably end in a seven figure pay off

Agreed. The fact that Lerner actually PAID for Alex "Double Drop" McGash is mind boggling.

Just noticed that Carlo Ancelotti seems to have agreed to take the PSG job. Interesting that the guy who started the Villa/QSI takeover rumours on that other forum said one thing that was certain is that Ancelotti would not be involved with Villa if a takeover were to take place. Possibly because he knew he had the PSG job last week? - might give him some cred.

I know Ancelotti has been linked with PSG since Leonardo's involvement with the club but Kombuoare's job seemed secure after their last few games.

Nothing like keeping yourself entertained with random internet rumours....

I reckon Mcleish was the easy option - i don't lerner could be bothered with negotiating or put the effort into getting someone better. Not only does lerner not want to put cash in - he doesn't want to invest time either.

he went Martinez, Moyes and McLaren.

maybe he approached others discreetly as well. IIRC Eck wasnt a panic signing as such as from Houllier demise to Eck appointment was about 6 or 7 weeks

Just noticed that Carlo Ancelotti seems to have agreed to take the PSG job. Interesting that the guy who started the Villa/QSI takeover rumours on that other forum said one thing that was certain is that Ancelotti would not be involved with Villa if a takeover were to take place. Possibly because he knew he had the PSG job last week? - might give him some cred.

I know Ancelotti has been linked with PSG since Leonardo's involvement with the club but Kombuoare's job seemed secure after their last few games.

Damn. :( I was hoping that if the takeover rumours were indeed true we'd get Ancelotti in.

Lerner is the owner, it is not important if he is a fan or not. what is important is that he runs the club properly.

I still hear /read fans going on about the finanacial status of our club and allude to the lack of funds as our problem.

I am not convinced that if hypthetically we had the money to spend that Man city have had that we would have spent it as wisely as they have.

I still have a major leaning towards poor talent spotting & development as our main problem v available funds.

In my view, we seem to think in recent times that money is the answer to masking over all the mistakes.....owners won't put up with that for long.

However, It is the owners responsibility to find Managers who have an "eye for a player" and can build a side.

Ps despite the obvious Players at Man city that are projecting them to stardom.... would we have spotted Kompany & Toure who in my view are awesome at creating the platform for the " will o wisp" players to play.

I used Christmas as a reason to email Messrs Lerner, Krulak and Faulkner to convey festive best wishes and to 'wish them well for what they do for Aston Villa'...It would be interesting to see 'what they do' for Aston Villa in 2012

I also asked general Krulak if he intends to return to villatalk.

I had no replies yet, even though Mr Faulkner replied to a previous email I sent him in the summer.

I still hear /read fans going on about the finanacial status of our club and allude to the lack of funds as our problem.

I am not convinced that if hypthetically we had the money to spend that Man city have had that we would have spent it as wisely as they have.

I still have a major leaning towards poor talent spotting & development as our main problem v available funds.

Completely agree. Can't help but think clubs currently on a similar level to us would be in a much better situation than we find ourselves given our relatively high level of spending. Blame MON, blame bad luck (GH illness etc), but at least a portion of the blame has to go to the people running the club throughout.

would we have spotted Kompany

i remember buying kompany on championship manager many years ago when he was a youngster, im sure an idea coming from CM to buy a player would of been laughed at back then?

would we have spotted Kompany

i remember buying kompany on championship manager many years ago when he was a youngster, im sure an idea coming from CM to buy a player would of been laughed at back then?

Andy we have player types we like and whilst i have the greatest repect for goalscorers and schemers.... The players that hold things together i adore.

This Lad for me is special and it was reassuring for me to hear Hansen raving about him on MOTD

I don't think you can do anything on your own and I think Toure has helped him in that dep't too....back to Kompany, for me is majorly instrumental in Man city's success to date.

I remember watching Mortimer, Bremner & Evans & McNaught.... they were the ones instumental in us going " one goal up game over"

It was a great feeling of Control.

would we have spotted Kompany & Toure who in my view are awesome at creating the platform for the " will o wisp" players to play.

Vincent Kompany was the biggest prospect in Europe and Toure played for Barcelona. Most managers would have spotted them given the finances as Toure is among the highest paid player in the world.

Both these players have been on Wenger radar for years

I don't really buy the idea that Man C's recent spending is a triumph for their scouting.

They just bought all the best players around, and they had some failures.

I reckon I could have managed that.

The reality is that Lerner never really gave us as much money as his ambition would have required.

would we have spotted Kompany & Toure who in my view are awesome at creating the platform for the " will o wisp" players to play.

Vincent Kompany was the biggest prospect in Europe and Toure played for Barcelona. Most managers would have spotted them given the finances as Toure is among the highest paid player in the world.

Both these players have been on Wenger radar for years

You describe him when he moved as one on the biggest prospects in Europe, so by deduction at c 6 mill, he would have been one of our cheaper signings.

on par with Warnock, reo coker & Cuellar

If I rememebr correctly he was before the big money signings arrived.

My point goes back to Money v talent spotting.

we have had money, to some degree.

I don't really buy the idea that Man C's recent spending is a triumph for their scouting.

They just bought all the best players around, and they had some failures.

I reckon I could have managed that.

The reality is that Lerner never really gave us as much money as his ambition would have required.

Briny, maybe you could have managed that but maybe some could'nt.

Unlimited funds will always be an attraction that is hard to argue with, but in reality a bit of Nous in the transfer market has to accompany the readies.

I believe Randy has provided funds, but i equally would have questioned when Hernandez & Kompany go for 6 mill and we buy what we have bought....It makes you wonder.

I still think we have been next to poor in the transfer market overall.... close to poor on the training ground getting them to fit in to our method.

The problem is good young players know they're good young players. There may be various circumstances that effect their price but ultimately if they know a big club is interested they'll wait for that to happen.

I remember a lot of people saying we should have got Johnson instead of downing from boro but it just wasn't realistic. Johnson would have been fully aware that big clubs were interested in him at the time we signed downing and it's easy choice to wait for a city or Chelsea than commit to a villa.

Saying that I do believe our scouting could have been better and if we have limited funds I'd like to see us take a leaf out of spurs book and look for young talent in lower leagues.

Bale, Dawson, lennon, walker and naughton are all smart investments.

Yeah but promising youngsters with first team experience (even if that is in the championship) represent better value than players who are proven to be poor/average league players. Even though not all succeed the ones that do can help propel the club forward or can be sold for a profit and hopefully be used to invest in more promising players.

clutching_at_straws.jpg

Â