The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Man Utd have debts on close to £1 billion !

Let's see spurs accounts this year and next

As for Arsenal, strange one as they have made millions on the property moves, are actually backed by a Russian richer than Abramovich and have an exceptional manager when it comes to spotting raw talent

Richard, Blandy, the old 'raising revenue' has been tried believe me. Having been behind the scenes for 4 years of this era rest assured the whole business is geared to raise revenue BUT there comes a point that to raise it you need the product. Maybe RL has learned that without 'the product' you can't raise revenue so he has to work out whether the revenue he can raise is sufficient to maintain 'the product' (capiche?).

I think we have seen that we are not able to raise the required revenue to enable us to even half heartledly make a challenge to the top 6/7 so this is the problemn he has. Do we stagnate, settle for averageness or what?

His seeming disinterest in all things B6 this season indicates to me that we are going to be sold or have to accept mid-table mediocrity until the bubble bursts and he is proved right - or wrong :)

I believe that once a lot of players leave randy will spend again. It's just a shame that the money will more than likely not be spent wisely under the current manager.

Spurs are a great example that the right manager making clever signings can see you competing without ridiculous oil money being spent.

Spurs profit/loss each year

2006 +£0.6 million

2007 +£27.7 million

2008 +3 million

2009 +£33.4 million

2006 -£6.5 million

2006 +£0.4 million

Man Utd have paid, since the Glazers’ took over arrival, approx 500 million purely as a result of the way they took over - in interest, professional fees and paying off debt incurred by the takeover method. They were a proftable club, and were it not for the Glazers would be entirely debt free. They're paying 70 odd million a year in interest on various debts incurred by the Glazers.

Arsenal have been in profit every season since 2006 and probably before, I can't be bothered checking back further.

On property development they've made profits in the past couple of years, but the overall figures are relatively small parts of their turnover and they made property losses prior to that, obviously, as a result of their ground move.

If you are interested the (superb) swiss ramble blog has loads of fact and financial analysis for all sorts of clubs.

Richard, Blandy, the old 'raising revenue' has been tried believe me. Having been behind the scenes for 4 years of this era rest assured the whole business is geared to raise revenue BUT there comes a point that to raise it you need the product. Maybe RL has learned that without 'the product' you can't raise revenue so he has to work out whether the revenue he can raise is sufficient to maintain 'the product' (capiche?).

I think we have seen that we are not able to raise the required revenue to enable us to even half heartledly make a challenge to the top 6/7 so this is the problem he has. Do we stagnate, settle for averageness or what?

His seeming disinterest in all things B6 this season indicates to me that we are going to be sold or have to accept mid-table mediocrity until the bubble bursts and he is proved right - or wrong :)

Very fair analysis Den, apart from the last para which is one fair and possible conclusion, but certainly not the only one that could be drawn.

The only way we will progress is for Lerner to leave and a richer owner to take over and I for one cannot wait until the time that he leaves.

Its good thing you dont support a club outside of the premier league, otherwise there would be no point hey? :lol:

Narrow minded and ridiculous viewpoint imo, conveniently always means there is a reason to have a little moan and pedal negative support whenever possible.

I think we have seen that we are not able to raise the required revenue to enable us to even half heartledly make a challenge to the top 6/7 so this is the problem he has. Do we stagnate, settle for averageness or what?

Very fair analysis Den, apart from the last para which is one fair and possible conclusion, but certainly not the only one that could be drawn.

Fair enough Pete, BUT why do Manure and Spuds have anything to do with things B6? They are different models with massively different income sources to us.

So if we don't stagnate and he doesn't sell what are the alternatives? He clearly can't pick a manager to do what Harry has done (he's a one off - thank God!)

I think we have seen that we are not able to raise the required revenue to enable us to even half heartledly make a challenge to the top 6/7 so this is the problemn he has. Do we stagnate, settle for averageness or what?

Denis, I know!

I do not disagree with any of that actually and it is basically my point!

Anyone remember the bad old days with Doug when we had the ridiculous plan to sell players before their contract ended so as to recoup some of the investment....

So we are basically letting a whole load of players run their contract down so they get to leave on a bosman but hey we get them off the wage bill. I keep reading the company line that once they are gone then further investment will be made presumably on players with smaller wage demands which as has been pointed out will almost certainly mean lesser quality.

For this to work properly you need a top quality scouting system and a decent manager, we currently have neither.

For this to work properly you need a top quality scouting system and a decent manager, we currently have neither.

Couldn't agree more.

Is Mcleish going to find quality players for cheap? Has Randy and Mcleish made us an attractive enough option for players to come to us on fairly cheap wages?

With our current board and manager I just can't see us doing anything but wasting money and still sitting midtable.

Met some fans from Sutton in the '82 lounge last night who had been to Cleveland Browns game (I cant remember when they went) - said they had a long chat with Randy Lerner who talked about a number of highly paid players that would be off the books by the summer. He told them that once the decks were cleared of said players there would be further investment. They didnt discuss January transfer window.

Not disputing what you heard. But this is the issue I have

Once we get the high earners off the books........we either:-

1.Don't replace them

2.Replace them with lower earners

3.Replace them with people on a similar salary

options 1&2 would likley send the team backwards.

Whilst 3 would give cause for optissm on the pitch - it sort of deafeats the whole 'we must get the wage bill down' ethos.

Â