The Randy Lerner thread

CI

We don't need cheaper replacements on less wages, we should be bold enough to let the kids play more - Clark, Baker, Lichaj, Gardner, Bannan, Fonz, Albrighton, Herd, Johnson etc etc.

AGREE 100%

You should never sign a 'squad' player. Every player the club signs should be seen as capable of being in the first team. If they arent then they know they're viewed as second rate, the supporters know they're second rate and they're just taking a wage and costing a fee that would be better spent elsewhere

Harry does well at Spurs because he doesn't sign players just to sit on the bench. He knows what they're good at and uses them accordingly

They all need to have a worth or there's no point having them clogging up the wage bill

To play all the youngsters would result in relegation that would be bad for the club, use them as squad players yes but to be naive and think getting relegated would get rid of McLeish and the youngsters would walk it in the Championship is very shortsighted.

We do have some good young players but the Premiership is a tough league that sorts the men out from the boys.

I simply don't understand why you would own a football club if you didn't want to win everyone game you play. Clearly owning a football club isn't a savvy investment. It's pretty much a guaranteed money swallower. I'm starting to wonder why Randy still wants to own a club that he dosen't love.

Tbh we should have a blend of youth and experience we cant rely on too many youngsters

Correct, if you kept a spine of Given - Dunne - Petrov - Gabby - Bent, I think we then should bring on the kids in the other positions instead of watching the fading years of Collins, Heskey & Warnock going through the motions

Just a point on Randy and the subject of his divorce. Do you really think a billionaire would not have ahd some form of agreement signed by his wife before the marriage that said she would get a tidy sum of money should they divorce but nothing like a large 5 of his wealth?

No way has he had to give more than 5% of his wealth away to her in my opinion.

Not sure, Lerner comes across as a bit naive in all things business / money

Jesus Christ, the guy runs a multi-million dollar company, has studied law and business at the best schools and you claim he's naive?

He might be a little naive in running a football club, but somehow I think he knows just a little more about business than you do.

And yes, he inherited his wealth from his father, who he undoubtedly learned a lot from. Maybe when you're a billionaire business mogul then I might take your opinion on Randy Lerner's business-sense seriously.

If I remember correctly, Randy Lerner inherited MBNA from his father and then just oversaw the sale of it.

That is a bit different to "running a multi billion pound company".

He is no businessman, and it could be perceived that he is naive.

I think he has our interests at heart, and I would welcome investment with Lerner still being the chairman of the club. But lets face it, there isn't much difference between him, and the cast of "The only way is Essex" - they are all just enjoying the fruits of their parents wealth.

It hurts me to bring this topic up, but after what seemed like such a bright and exciting start to Randy Lerner's reign at the Villa, we are now left with shattered dreams and nothing to look forward to once again.

On a day where Darren Bent is now being linked with a move from Villa Park, I ask myself .... What has happened to Lerner's ambition and even more importantly, what has happened to his millions???

Hate to post this after how excited he got us all when he first took over our beloved club, but after cashing in on all the decent players bought under Lerner, he now looks to have given up on investing any more.

Gone are the transfer windows where we could look forward to signing some of the best talent around and spending between £30-£40m.

Gone are the days that we could go to any ground and face any team knowing that we have a chance in that game.

So with money and transfer fees playing a bigger part in football than it ever has done, does this mean that if we are to ever kick on from here and go and do something, do we need to look for new ownership again?

Would it be anywhere near acceptable to chant Lerner out yet? He's certainly not helping himself after selling all our main assets (on the pitch), not investing the money back into the team and then on top of that you can also look at the manager appointments as very bad choices too. Houllier was never fit enough to come back into full time Premiership management and we all know what the majority of Villa fans think of Alex McLeish.

I ask myself, was Lerner ever the man who bought excitement to Villa Park? Not once have I been excited about anything Villa related ever since the day it was announced that Martin O'Neill had resigned as Villa manager.

No Villa fan can argue that the bubble well and truly burst as soon as Martin O'Neill walked out of that door. And let's not forget, Martin was actually appointed by Our Ex-Chairman Doug Ellis and not Mr Lerner.

So all Lerner has done, is throw money at MON to get his men in, the men that weren't so good have dwindled away and the men who were any good have gone onto bigger and better things for pretty hefty transfer fees, most of which we have never seen invested back into the squad.

It was as though the Bent transfer last January only ever happened because we knew we would be getting similar money for Downing and Young 6 months down the line!

But even so, if that is the case, where did the Milner money go?

Randy Lerner has a net spend of just over £50m in his reign at the Villa. I don't know what you will all think of that, but I was surprised when I read it, I imagined it to be a lot more. £50m can be spent on one player these days, as proven when Chelsea bought Fernando Torres last January.

We can all just sit here and say "Well at least we are not in any massive financial difficulties like other clubs" .... But are we, as Villa fans happy with just that? I don't think we are.

We're Aston Villa, and we need to push on from this position we have found ourselves in.

The only answer for me, which honestly hurts me to say it, is "Lerner Out!"

UTV.

If I remember correctly, Randy Lerner inherited MBNA from his father and then just oversaw the sale of it.

Correct, he oversaw the sale in about 2006 to Bank of America for $36 Billion

I think much of his wealth is tied up in BoA shares which have taken a battering over the last few years. If I recall, his mom has similar wealth levels as Randy ($1 Billionish), not sure if he's an only child or has siblings

Â