The Randy Lerner thread

CI

On a day where Darren Bent is now being linked with a move from Villa Park, I ask myself .... What has happened to Lerner's ambition and even more importantly, what has happened to his millions???

....where did the Milner money go?

I think you will find that we have spunked his money on overpriced junk in the main...players that would struggle to pass through cones or trap a bag of cement.... we have bought one or two decent players and sold them to balance the books from the junk we have bought.

I think he has been spooked.

where did the Milner money go?

Randy Lerner has a net spend of just over £50m in his reign at the Villa

honestly?

who do you think has been paying the wages? net spend at villa for lerner? you need to add up all the transfer fees and all the wages, then take away the club income to find that out

since lerner took over though, the spending on the playing staff alone hasn't been too far shy of £500m. now obviously, the club makes a few bob, but it runs at a loss all the same. where's the milner money? it paid for wages for terrible signings

Yep, for evry gem MON bought, there were 3 or 4 expensive failures

he signed 26 players at villa

6 of them left for a fee

3 of the players who left for a fee left for a profit

3 of the players who left for a fee left for a loss

11 of them left on free transfers

4 of them are out of contract in summer

i think the gem to turd ratio is lower than you think

I think those figures support my point nicely. MON was a liability with the cheque book

Curtis Davies nearly £9 million !! Marlon Harewood £4.5 million (imagine West Ham's delight !) Nicky Shorey £6m Steve Sidwell £5.5m Carlos Cuellar £8.5m Stephen Warnock £8m Heskey £3.5m James Collins £6m & the rest but there alone is the best part of £50M in fees alone wasted, add in their wages and you're close to a £100M WASTED !!!!

I think those figures support my point nicely. MON was a liability with the cheque book

Curtis Davies nearly £9 million !! Marlon Harewood £4.5 million (imagine West Ham's delight !) Nicky Shorey £6m Steve Sidwell £5.5m Carlos Cuellar £8.5m Stephen Warnock £8m Heskey £3.5m James Collins £6m & the rest but there alone is the best part of £50M in fees alone wasted, add in their wages and you're close to a £100M WASTED !!!!

Not much wrong with most of those fees paid considering the time it happened and the players relative ages, experience and the time left on their previous contracts at the time, there's a couple over the odds but that's it.

Can I just ask a small question here.....

If Steve Warnock, Emile Heskey, James Collins and Carlos Cueller were such "turd of a buys" from Martin O'Neill.

why two years down the line , and having had Kevin McDonald, Gerard Houllier , Gary McAllister and Alex McLeish manage them since.

Then, if they are such turds - WHY ARE THEY STILL IN THE TEAM !!!!.

Especially, I must add when they have competition for their places that have been bought since he left.

(I mean, in good old Ivanhoe;s case, he is being played in midfield when we have spent 5.5 million on Makoun, whatever you wanna call it on Stephen Ireland, and AND HE IS STILL BEING PLAYED !!!!!

Can I just ask a small question here.....

If Steve Warnock, Emile Heskey, James Collins and Carlos Cueller were such "turd of a buys" from Martin O'Neill.

why two years down the line , and having had Kevin McDonald, Gerard Houllier , Gary McAllister and Alex McLeish manage them since.

Then, if they are such turds - WHY ARE THEY STILL IN THE TEAM !!!!.

Especially, I must add when they have competition for their places that have been bought since he left.

(I mean, in good old Ivanhoe;s case, he is being played in midfield when we have spent 5.5 million on Makoun, whatever you wanna call it on Stephen Ireland, and AND HE IS STILL BEING PLAYED !!!!!

Well when you consider that Heskey is on £60k per week (and the others most likely around the £40k mark), it makes it very hard to just move players on.

Makoun is an odd one, as it seems he was loaned out in order to bring in Jenas, which hasn't proved to be he best of decisions, but was understandable at the time, and proves that McLeish had at leat identified our weakness in midfield.

This isn't Football Manager, to sell a player you need the player to want o leave and for the buying club to be able to afford not just o buy him, but to pay him. We're not the only club tightening the purse strings, so such high salaries make selling players much harder.

LERNER OUT

Venkeys in!

Jesus wept is this thread still going, page after page of basically just abuse towards the current owner?

If he is really that bad why are we not on par with actual shit owners, like err the venkeys?

Villa fans with no sense of perspective shocker!

Grass IS always greener, get rid uh?

LERNER OUT

Venkeys in!

Jesus wept is this thread still going, page after page of basically just abuse towards the current owner?

If he is really that bad why are we not on par with actual shit owners, like err the venkeys?

Villa fans with no sense of perspective shocker!

Grass IS always greener, get rid uh?

Yes correct, every owner other than Lerner is Venkeys!

Why do we have such trouble shifting players out. They are good enough (mostly). Is it wages, or is it that the board / manager arent good enough to shift them out

we cant sell them because they're on double the wages they should be on based on their quality and they know it

An extract from an interesting article on Randy and Villa in Daily Mail 31st Dec :

'The new year will herald the 30th anniversary of the club's European Cup triumph over Bayern Munich.

Until six years ago, it was a moment that few of a claret and blue persuasion felt would ever be repeated.

Until, that is, American billionaire Randy Lerner announced his arrival into English football at Aston Villa with all the razzmatazz associated with a money man from across the pond.

Splashing the cash showed the former lawyer meant business.

Lerner, once a regular, has been seen just twice at Villa Park all season. The billionaire pays the club's dues by extending his equity and the use of loan notes in a 50-50 split.

He is now a divorced father of four and has to spend at least six months in Ohio, Cleveland, for personal reasons. Lerner watches live television feeds of Villa's matches wherever he is in the world.

A highly placed member of Villa's staff said this week : ‘We are going to adopt a low-risk strategy but it will be one of steady and continual growth. We are in a transitional period but Aston Villa will be better and stronger for it. Success may not be just around the corner but we are building towards it.’'

What are your opinions on this article ?

Please read the posting guidelines about linking to other sites

Mods : Hope I posted according to guidelines.

Link removed again.

Some good lines there, a lot of truth including the Hodgson comments (jeesh, I remember the Hodgson report...) things are very similar to back then. Also the comment about Mcleish, its not about where he came from but more about the terrible anti-football. Good article, a lot of truth.

Â