The Randy Lerner thread

CI

This is interesting. For me, there's a good argument to say all an owner should do in terms of football decisions is "nod his head". Now we're finally in that situation where the club has a manager who is managing, coaches who are coaching, players who are playing, a Chief Exec who is, er, Executing plans and looking for income and contracts and commercial stuff and making the calls to be nodded through (or not) by the Chairman/Owner.

That's for me exactly how it should be, whatever the club.

I do agree. And if only he'd run it this why for longer than 2 months, then my feelings towards him might be different.

I also don't think its a coincidence that running the club smarter links in with failing to sell the club. While its good for us, these decisions have also been made to ensure he gets the price he wants for selling.

Even if we win the cup,i still hope we are sold come the end of the season. Learner has had his chance to put us back where most of us fans think we should be and failed. Time for someone else to have a go

• Like 1

An FA cup win would be a nice send off for Randy who doesn't have the skills to run a football club. Time to sell to someone with more money than sense so we can go out and buy more success.

Edited by villa89

To be fair he did give us some very good things.. 4 good years (despite the problems to come) we did have alot of good seasons at the start. We have a great new training facilitiy which wouldnt happen under some owners.. rebuilt the pub.. etc etc.

Unfortunately he made some costly errors and we dont know his financial situation after he was forced to sell his NFL club.. and a divorce.. we do not know why he has cut back. Maybe he just wants to not have the responsibility any more and just wants to support the club the way we do and the time has come to move on.

To me i wont look back and hate on him.. The criticism is a little unfair. He tried and failed and lost the trust/fight to continue. However, its a bit of mixed feelings for me. I would absolutely love it if we stayed up and won the cup.. then maybe i can look back on his reign more fondly.

• Like 1

The resurgence over the past couple of months under Sherwood has been really exciting, but i'm not going to let myself forget 4 years of cost cutting, relegation battles, awful football and fluking our way to survival. Unless Randy is going to invest properly, i'd rather someone else have a crack.

I may be wrong but I don't believe he was "forced" to sell the Browns, and the sale dwarfed any amount he'd ever get for us. I wouldn't link those events at all.

you are correct, he inherited the browns from his father Al, there was a clause to say he could not sell the Browns for a certain amount of years after inheriting it. To be honest I dont think he ever wanted it and pretty much got rid of it as soon as he could

I won't forget the four years of cost cutting, but I won't forget the four years of challenging at the top either.

Yeah we had some good seasons at the beginning and we may sign off with an FA cup win at the end of his tenure. The McLeish/Lambert years were some of the worst in living memory but there seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel now. It's been a mixed bag, not sure we would have survived if Doug was still in charge

• Like 1

I won't forget the four years of cost cutting, but I won't forget the four years of challenging at the top either.

The McLeish/Lambert years were some of the worst in living memory

Were they? We've been a 3rd division team in "living memory". - being a bit shit in the PL is nothing compared with relegation and lower league football.

No its not been good but lets not exaggerate here.

The McLeish/Lambert years were some of the worst in living memory

Were they? We've been a 3rd division team in "living memory". - being a bit shit in the PL is nothing compared with relegation and lower league football.

No its not been good but lets not exaggerate here.

The football was better to watch in division 3 compared to what Lambert served up!

I believe the situation at villa was exacerbated by no one appearing to have control of the managers.....I'm not suggesting they should have been interfering in football matters....but more about what the managers were up to in terms of comittment/ attendance.

Ron Atkinson used to complain that Doug was on the phone to BMH,every day.

It appears to me that it was a bit of a holiday camp prior to TF & TS and I think the change has found its way on to the pitch.

I also think the there was staff turning a blind eye to day to day activities at BHM....under the banner of not been seen to interfer.

Under such conditions, how do we expect the players to react?

I think Tom Fox is more business like and in the zone.....I just don' t think previous staff where in the zone.

Edited by TRO

I believe the situation at villa was exacerbated by no one appearing to have control of the managers.....I'm not suggesting they should have been interfering in football matters....but more about what the managers where up to in terms of comittment/ attendance.

Ron Atkinson used to complain that Doug was on the phone to BMH,every day.

It appears to me that it was a bit of a holiday camp prior to TF & TS and I think the change has found its way on to the pitch.

I also think the there was staff turning a blind eye to day to day activities at BHM....under the banner of not been seen to interfer.

Under such conditions, how do we expect the players to react?

I think Tom Fox is more business like and in the zone.....I just don' t previous staff where in the zone.

From a business sense it was awful, too. Lerner and Faulkner kept on trying that "softly softly, we do business THE CORRECT and proper way" approach.

What it got us was Leeds United saying "Oooh, thanks, you're gentlemen". And that's it. What it brought elsewhere was Dave Whelan, Manchester City, a couple of players and many press articles ridiculing us as a soft touch. If you're not cutthroat, you're going to drop in reputation and notoriety.

These days, sadly, your international recognition is seemingly the most important thing in this league. I believe Fox has probably more from a "dog-eat-dog" world rather than Lerner's gentleman one.

• Like 1

Generally speaking Randy Lerner has been good for Villa,mistake he made being far to trusting (O'Neill) and signing up crap Managers,the Frenchman and the unspoken one,we all had great hopes of Lambert but Villa was an over promotion for him and his back room staff.The appointment of Fox has been a master stroke,a hard nose business man who knows what is good for our club in the cut throat PL world.He appointed Sherwood,who having served under Daniel Levy,knows the score, and any take over of our club will no doubt have the stamp of Mr Fox all over it,be it the Chinese then don't lets forget that they are some of the most astute business peopel on the planet and generally not short of a Billion or 2,if it is the Chinese then Mr Fox will be the captain of the Villa ship and not non football people.

Yeah we had some good seasons at the beginning and we may sign off with an FA cup win at the end of his tenure. The McLeish/Lambert years were some of the worst in living memory but there seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel now. It's been a mixed bag, not sure we would have survived if Doug was still in charge

If Ellis was in charge McLeish would never have been employed in the first place and Lambert would have been sacked 18 months earlier.

Generally speaking Randy Lerner has been good for Villa,

He really hasn't.

Under Doug it was the odd relegation battle during the premier league era, we've had 5 consecutive ones, and all these low finishes are allowing other teams to financially overtake us in an era where FFP is a big thing.

I think he's been pretty terrible.

For me if he decides he wants back in then Im happy for him to be. His first couple of years showed that he would put his money in when he is interested. It wasnt just the money, things like the refurb of the pub, ACORNS sponsorship and the manner with which we did business were areas of pride for a lot of fans. 

With the new TV deal and the out going wages we are certainly in a better position to spend and with Fox and Reilly we will surely do it better than the first time round.

He is a known quantity (seen as a limited one) and one of his major complaints is not having football people at the club. Which looks to have been rectified in Fox so maybe he has learnt from his mistakes.

Chinese billionaire it is, The king is dead, long live the king!!!

Â