The Randy Lerner thread

CI

He's loaned us about £130m and he's given us about £130m - about £260m more than the last owner - according to the press, he's trying to sell us at a price significantly lower than he initially asked, I would imagine because he doesn't want to have to keep giving his money to the club. I think in terms of his intention he's been very very good - he's lost a fortune, in no small part down to the fact that as an operator of a football club, he's been terrible, but I think he knows all of that and again, I think he's trying to do something about it and do something that's beneficial to the football club - namely get out and let someone who does have money they can afford to spend on propping us up have a go.

But, I guess there's no point in putting that view forward when people see a club lose games and need a villain of the piece to blame their anger on - a good man, with good intention for the football club, trapped in a prison of his own making through poor decisions, having invested in a football club that is now almost valueless as a perpetual also ran in a league that's become cemented in place. I have genuine sympathy for him; we've all been in positions where we've tried something, put our best into it and come out realising we're in the shit and it's going to cost us.

All true - though It also looks like he's not been great at learning from his mistakes, which is odd, given his name. He's really suffered from not having people who have knowledge in the right areas to advise him, and a reluctance to make use of people who'd help him for nothing and offer useful insight and opinion. Expertise, basically has been absent from so much of what he's tried to do, and it's not clear he knows it. People that are good people is not enough. They need to be good at what they're appointed to do, and the appointments need to be for the right task. That's where he's got it horribly wrong , IMO.

• Like 2

Worse than Ellis, can't wait for this utter word removed to leave

will never be worse than ellis

worse for putting money in when it was desperately needed, worse for letting us rot, yeah probably

worse for selling off a winning team just because he was a bitter word removed who thought he new better, doubt lerner will ever be in a position to show

no chairman will ever do what doug did to us in 83-87, imagine if he hadnt stripped us and we went on to have 3/4 years at the top and then pushed on, instead we went from champions of europe to relegated in 5 years, what lerner is doing isnt even close

This!! Ellis was jealous of the success that he never celebrated our greatest achievements but desmantked the team, but had all his brown nosers around. Talk to a few players like Mortimer Taylor and a few others (I have) and see how they feel. Worse than Ellis - a former blue nose director? No way Edited by nazvfc
  • Like 1

Worse than Ellis, can't wait for this utter word removed to leave

will never be worse than ellis

worse for putting money in when it was desperately needed, worse for letting us rot, yeah probably

worse for selling off a winning team just because he was a bitter word removed who thought he new better, doubt lerner will ever be in a position to show

no chairman will ever do what doug did to us in 83-87, imagine if he hadnt stripped us and we went on to have 3/4 years at the top and then pushed on, instead we went from champions of europe to relegated in 5 years, what lerner is doing isnt even close

This!! Ellis was jealous of the success that he never celebrated our greatest achievements but desmantked the team, but had all his brown nosers around. Talk to a few players like Mortimer Taylor and a few others (I have) and see how they feel. Worse than Ellis - a former blue nose director? No way

at a european cup winners dinner thing i went to one of the former players said to the room i will dance on that words removed grave

dont think he's popular amongst them

Given our absolutely pathetic spend in the summer and January windows combined there's absolutely no excuses for Sherwood not to be backed with a substantial budget in the summer.

like i said in the tim sherwood thread, in the official statement they mention him working with youth 3 times, to me there was no indication that they'll throw money at him, if anything it sounded to me like he's going to be more dependent on our youth than previous managers, which is ridiculous

He's loaned us about £130m and he's given us about £130m - about £260m more than the last owner - according to the press, he's trying to sell us at a price significantly lower than he initially asked, I would imagine because he doesn't want to have to keep giving his money to the club. I think in terms of his intention he's been very very good - he's lost a fortune, in no small part down to the fact that as an operator of a football club, he's been terrible, but I think he knows all of that and again, I think he's trying to do something about it and do something that's beneficial to the football club - namely get out and let someone who does have money they can afford to spend on propping us up have a go.

But, I guess there's no point in putting that view forward when people see a club lose games and need a villain of the piece to blame their anger on - a good man, with good intention for the football club, trapped in a prison of his own making through poor decisions, having invested in a football club that is now almost valueless as a perpetual also ran in a league that's become cemented in place. I have genuine sympathy for him; we've all been in positions where we've tried something, put our best into it and come out realising we're in the shit and it's going to cost us.

Hiring McLeish and providing Lambert with minimal funds while trying to sell the club was all in our best interests? I find it hard to believe.

Hiring McLeish and providing Lambert with minimal funds while trying to sell the club was all in our best interests? I find it hard to believe. 

I haven't suggested that, I've said his intention is good and his decisions as an operator of a football club have been terrible. I think you're struggling to separate results from intention, things are going badly = people are bad - I don't think it's that simple, I think we have a good man who's not very good at a job and I largely agree with Blandy's suggestions on what the main reasons behind that are.

Lerner clearly thought it was. You don't intentionally make bad decisions when it comes to the running of a multi million quid company, particularly when those bad decisions will cost you money personally. Were they good decisions? Christ no. Were they made in what he believed to be the best interests of the club? I have no doubt they were

Given our absolutely pathetic spend in the summer and January windows combined there's absolutely no excuses for Sherwood not to be backed with a substantial budget in the summer.

like i said in the tim sherwood thread, in the official statement they mention him working with youth 3 times, to me there was no indication that they'll throw money at him, if anything it sounded to me like he's going to be more dependent on our youth than previous managers, which is ridiculous

I think maybe we are going a different direction, maybe buying best youth prospects as well as we were linked with Alli and Byram near end of window. Sherwood apparently knows the under 21 leagues so should know the market 

The amount of money this football club has wasted over the last 8 years, not just on players but manager changes

Houllier - £1million wages and £3million settlement fee to cancel his contract

McLeish - £2million compensation to blues, £1million in wages and a £2million pay off

Lambert - £2million compensation to Norwich, £2million in wages + rumoured £3million pay off.

Plus the cost of numerous backroom staff changes.

Depressing really

Seems like he's hiring whoever is the bookmakers favorite for the job.

Maybe it's his money going on these guys that makes them favourite, as a way of generating more funds to make us challengers again?

Edited by villarocker
  • Like 1

I see this one as Fox's selection. It looks like he wanted to get rid of lambo, had Sherwood waiting in the wings but needed to get permission from Randy. After Hull, was given permission and made the switch.

If at all true, it means the next few months will not only tell us about our manager and league future, but likely also whether our CEO is up to the job. Lerner clearly isn't capable (or interested) anymore, so our best hope other than being sold is that Fox is capable of running the club.

I haven't suggested that, I've said his intention is good and his decisions as an operator of a football club have been terrible. I think you're struggling to separate results from intention, things are going badly = people are bad - I don't think it's that simple, I think we have a good man who's not very good at a job and I largely agree with Blandy's suggestions on what the main reasons behind that are.

Not at all.

I don't think bad decision means bad intentions.

But I think some of his decisions have had good intentions for him rather than the club. Unfortunately they've been so bad they've been bad for us and him.

Â