The Randy Lerner thread

CI

He is simply reacting to the inevitable, by saying its no longer for sale.

The fact appears that he has no buyer for what he wants to sell for....impasse

That renders status Quo....He is simply Lumbered.

• Like 1

Am I right in thinking our combined summer/winter window spend was all together £11million?

The man i thought was our saviour will end up being the biggest disaster ive ever seen at the club.

• Like 2

There is no one close enough to the phenomena of Aston Villa Football Club that is wealthy enough to capitalise and release the potential. illustrated so well by our own Billionaire you can easily get your fingers burnt, If you don't buy at the end of the market that more or less rules out failure....but it is expensive and not for the faint hearted.

where the landscape has changed is, I suspect very few who have the appetite/wherewithal to compete with Abramovich, Usmanov  and Sheik Mansour .....that is precisiely what it would entail....Hence the lack of interest.

Aston Villa is actually one of the few untapped club that has what it takes to be financially successful under FFP rules. It's a historic team with a good sized stadium in one of the largest metro areas of the UK. But the lack of investment in academy and proper coaches and players have brought it down. Of all the teams in the Premier League Aston Villa is close as to an ideal buy as you can get amongst those that aren't performing well financially. 

Everything that is needed is there. The lack of interest has to be due to a bigger issue. 

• Like 1

.....If you have money to spend on players the first rule is to find a manager clever enough to spend it.....and then clever enough to develop those players, that you were clever enough to sign.

I think one of the big issues also is we overpay for english talent when it costs more than foreign talent and performs worse. Darren Bent's signing and wages alone have cost us over £50m. More than both of Angel and Benteke's signing fees and wages combined. 

We had the same issue with Stan Collymore back in the 90s. 

N'Zogbia cost us £34m over his contract as well. 

Does anyone recall how much it cost us to acquire Nolberto Solano? There are always cheaper alternatives out there.

Given cost us £29m

That's over £113m in outlay on three players over the past 3-4 years. And not a single one has made any kind of real positive impact on this team in the long term.

For that kind of money there are so many players you could have acquired that were much, much, better. 

Edited by electronicmaji

I'd take it a step further and say that we spent a large amount on manager's and related coaching staff that is overwhelmingly British (with Venglos and Houllier being notable exceptions).

While the cost may not be the deciding factor when it comes to managers - I wonder if we are paying for going British when it seems the competition ditched it long ago and has progressed to a higher level? (Ferguson being the exception).

Aston Villa is actually one of the few untapped club that has what it takes to be financially successful under FFP rules. It's a historic team with a good sized stadium in one of the largest metro areas of the UK. But the lack of investment in academy and proper coaches and players have brought it down. Of all the teams in the Premier League Aston Villa is close as to an ideal buy as you can get amongst those that aren't performing well financially. 

Everything that is needed is there. The lack of interest has to be due to a bigger issue. 

We're not the only club in this predicament though are we? Newcastle and Everton suffer from the same problem....

Namely, in this global market, we're not in or around London. To some, this is the be all and end all.

Everton have never been officially up for sale and I believe there's a strong feeling amongst Everton fans that he doesn't want to let go of the Club. And Newcastle were only ever up sale when they got relegated, in his letter to the fans Ashley stated one of the reasons for him wanting out, was that he feared for his and his family's safety whilst at the ground, hardly a good selling point. Plus it was reported at the time that he wanted over £400M.

It could be a while before we get sold but I don't think that looking at those two clubs is any indication.

Edited by useless

Nobody knows if there has been any interest or not.

Educated guess - Id say not.

The way I see it Lerner had been wanting to sell us for a couple of years before last seasons announcement. Last May's announcement was an attempt to drum up interest.

I think one of the big issues also is we overpay for english talent when it costs more than foreign talent and performs worse. Darren Bent's signing and wages alone have cost us over £50m. More than both of Angel and Benteke's signing fees and wages combined. 

We had the same issue with Stan Collymore back in the 90s. 

N'Zogbia cost us £34m over his contract as well. 

Does anyone recall how much it cost us to acquire Nolberto Solano? There are always cheaper alternatives out there.

Given cost us £29m

That's over £113m in outlay on three players over the past 3-4 years. And not a single one has made any kind of real positive impact on this team in the long term.

For that kind of money there are so many players you could have acquired that were much, much, better. 

Not that I disagree with the notion, but really wonder how you've got to these 50m, 34m and 29m figures.

Nobody knows if there has been any interest or not.

Educated guess - Id say not.

The way I see it Lerner had been wanting to sell us for a couple of years before last seasons announcement. Last May's announcement was an attempt to drum up interest.

There has been. It seems the product doesn't match the price.

100% been interested parties though.

Am I right in thinking our combined summer/winter window spend was all together £11million?

The man i thought was our saviour will end up being the biggest disaster ive ever seen at the club.

Less than before the bigger TV deal.

Â