The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Trent to be fair Ive said above your post that Lerner is shiter than ellis and I believe it

Must have missed that, I think you are wrong but I'm not going to get into which is the worst debate as it will only depress me that my entire life as a Villa fan has been under the stewardship of these arse clowns.

I agree with Richard, but I also agree with you about not getting into the debate as it's futile.  All I'll say is that I enjoyed the years under BFR and Sir Brian far more than I've enjoyed any of the Lerner years, and leave it at that.

Interesting, I'm starting to think the Cortese rumours might even be true, especially with Lerner's jet seeminly being in Italy recently.

Although in reality I'm not sure of how a good an appointment he'd be, I'm sure a lot of Southampton's success has to be down the owner's Billions and their excellent youth system.

Interesting, I'm starting to think the Cortese rumours might even be true, especially with Lerner's jet seeminly being in Italy recently.

Although in reality I'm not sure of how a good an appointment he'd be, I'm sure a lot of Southampton's success has to be down the owner's Billions and their excellent youth system.

Trust me Cortese will not be the next CEO.

Trust me Cortese will be the next CEO.

Fixed ;)

Why are you so certain about that? Opinion?

The reason Lerner has got away with so much is because Ellis came before him. Ellis being absolutely shire is no defence of Lerner, if all we can say is "well he isn't Doug" it's a very poor defence.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised either way but even if we did get Cortese I doubt he could make a massive difference as things stand. I'm presuming it's someone well known though if Jonny Gould has been told he's going to applaud the appointment.

Actually speaking of Italy I remember earlier in the summer someone posted a link to an article in the Italian press which was saying something along the lines that we were looking to bring in Di Fanti, to the club. Not sure anyone would applaud that though he did a pretty bad job at Sunderland, it seems.

Cortese would make sense as well because he'd probably be in charge of the whole club and we know Randy has said that his heart is no longer in it.

Would also give us a small crumb of hope that his arrival has been approved by someone in talks to buy the club and even if that wasn't the case, such is his reputation at the moment he'd probably fancy his chances of being retained when we do eventually get sold.

• Like 2

Why are you so certain about that? Opinion?

Because Cortese strikes me as very ambitious and successful business man.

The reason Lerner has got away with so much is because Ellis came before him. Ellis being absolutely shire is no defence of Lerner, if all we can say is "well he isn't Doug" it's a very poor defence.

It'll be easier to decide who was worse when Lerner has actually gone. Relegation this season would obviously make a huge difference (as, to be fair, would a surprise top half finish, although naturally that would make less of a difference and is much more unlikely). 

I wouldn't be surprised if it was someone who has been associated with club in the past going by Gould's earlier tweets and his tweet today, that he's been told he will applaud the appointment, if it comes through.

Really, I think it's someone like Cortese or Kenyon perhaps, and if not one of those kind of names an old name from VIlla's past.

Edited by useless

Well, if that's all the club can afford then fine. I can appreciate the need for the club to be self-sustainable (though it completely sucks). But if Lerner is trying to make back the money he's lost by not making it available for transfers/wages then we're in Ellis territory. 

My take on it, which has effectively been my take for the last 4 years is that he has been trying to put the club in a position for sale. I think most of the decisions since the departure of O'Neill have been with that in mind. 

I don't think he is taking money out of the club or has ever really done so (bar management fees shown in the accounts) but he has been using the last 4 years to pay down the excesses of previous years. Reducing the debts, reducing the wage bill and the percentage of the wage bill in relation to turnover.

Anyone selling or looking to sell any business will normally look to reduce costs and maximise profit in order to realise the best price and that is what I've long believed he has been doing.

Randy didn't vote for FFP and some argued that it was a signal that he would look to spend again, I always thought it was because he knew he was looking to get out and knew its introduction could impact on interest from potential buyers.

Some argue Lerner is simply trying to meet the requirements of FFP but I don't think this is what he is doing although I guess by us being compliant he might think that will aid his attempts to sell.

So in short, he is trying to make us profitable, reduce debt and sell. And in fairness there is nothing wrong with those aims but as I've argued previously its his own mistakes he is trying to correct and he is doing so too quickly and in a reckless way in my view.

Good post but given how many bad decisions Lerner has made since 2010 I fear relegation and a huge loss in the sale of the club could happen. He has nowhere near invested enough in his asset in the past 2 years and we have a real chance of going down this year. How is that going to square with him getting his money back if we are a championship side albeit with a nice stadium?

Randolph Lerner. Nice bloke. Terrible businessman,

Â