The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I still think the biggest mistake waw houllier. Get the right man then, spend similar amounts and I think we'd still be a top 7 club right now.

His issue is he doesn't just **** up once, he **** up over and over again making a bigger mess of what originally isn't a massive issue.

Interesting.

Out of all the managers he hired, I though Houllier was the only one who shook things up and attempted to change our style to play better football.

Massive risk, though, given his health problems.

Yes but all this caused was a rift in the squad and led to a series of very poor performances. It was only when we resorted back to the MON style of play that we got the results and shot up the table after Houllier got ill. I think he could of relegated us that season if we had continued with Houllier's ways.

BJ10 is right and Lerner never seems to learn from his mistakes.

Well that was partly because (some of) the players were used to having everything their way under O'Neill.

Houllier tried to do the right thing by banning Dunne, Collins and the others from drinking during season and making them be more professional.  The fact that they responded like spoiled brats refusing to perform and acting up i blame solely on the players.

The fact that soo many brittish players are unprofessional is a huge problem and something almost every foreign manager tries to change when the come here

Yep because none of those foreign managers do anything mad like Paul of Canio...

Oh there are countless of foreign managers and players that are bonkers, no doubt about it

His biggest mistake was he trusted MON far too much into believing players like Harewood, Shorey, Beye could get us into the top 4.

And letting him spend a fortune on okayish players. 8 million for Curtis Davies? Good grief.

letting him, letting him, ;)

On what basis would he not let him and still retain his services....If an owner/Ceo/Chairman denied a manager the opportunity to buy a player on the basis he knew best, you would have a hue and cry. it would be headlines on MOTD, Manager not allowed to manage. The fan base would be in uproar.. manager not allowed to manage, the chairman dictating who comes in, he might as well put a track suit on.

no this is manager territory alright.

If Martin O'Neill had of had Lerner saying NO.....he would have walked much, much earlier.

• Like 1

His biggest mistake was he trusted MON far too much into believing players like Harewood, Shorey, Beye could get us into the top 4.

And letting him spend a fortune on okayish players. 8 million for Curtis Davies? Good grief.

So MON spent a lot of money and we qualifyed for europe.

Lambert spent less and we flirted with relegation.

I know which manager I would prefer ?!

:lol:

So in terms of the new TV deal we got the 14th highest amount.

For the last few years we continue to let smaller clubs catch and overtake us in terms of bringing money in. And somehow the owner is thanked for it.

He's continued to make us weaker and weaker and if we truly are going to stick to FFP regulations he's done a good job of making sure we can't be a competitive team in the future.

Truly has done some long term damage to this club.

• Like 1

wasn't that not near 10 million. more worried he paid 16 million for crap in Reo- Coker and Cuellar. at least Davies has shown ability

• Like 1

Whats Lambert got to do with anything I posted?

For the last few years we continue to let smaller clubs catch and overtake us in terms of bringing money in. And somehow the owner is thanked for it.

He's continued to make us weaker and weaker and if we truly are going to stick to FFP regulations he's done a good job of making sure we can't be a competitive team in the future.

Truly has done some long term damage to this club.

If this sale drags on then I hate to think of the damage he has done!

Truly has done some long term

damage to this club.

Yeah that's 100% correct mate. It's as simple as that. What other amazing financial insights have you got because you really know your stuff?

damage to this club.

Yeah that's 100% correct mate. It's as simple as that. What other amazing financial insights have you got because you really know your stuff?

What's confusing you? The money wasted on managerial compensation? The money we paid for blues for Alex McLeish? The money we're missing out on due to consecutive low finishes? Let me know and I'll expand for you.

damage to this club.

If there was a tag available for posts on Villatalk entitled "Pointless personal abuse (often involving heavy-handed attempts at sarcasm) which have no substance and add nothing to the debate" , this would be a prime candidate to carry it.

• Like 4

damage to this club.

If there was a tag available for posts on Villatalk entitled "Pointless personal abuse (often involving heavy-handed attempts at sarcasm) which have no substance and add nothing to the debate" , this would be a prime candidate to carry it.

Cheers :) x x x

damage to this club.

What's confusing you? The money wasted on managerial compensation? The money we paid for blues for Alex McLeish? The money we're missing out on due to consecutive low finishes? Let me know and I'll expand for you.

Do you have a full comprehensive list of expected profit/losses for the current financial year!? How do you know whether some of the teams who have made more TV money haven't made less than us in other areas and/or have greater expenses in relation to their income!?

Besides, it's almost a pointless debate as we're being sold. The projected operating profit for this year looks positive. We're in an excellent position to kick on under a new owner. Heck...if the new bloke is very generous and willing to invest significant amounts, or is a super filthy rich Mansour type, then what on earth will compensation paid out for old managers got to do with anything!? How has he done long term damage when any perceived damage by hysterical types can be undone by a new owner!?

Since Lerner's leaving, I don't see the point in beating him any more.  When fans believed it was in the best interest of the club, I could disagree with them, but understand that they thought they were doing what was best and right for the club.  Now it just sounds petty and spiteful to me.   (Just a personal opinion, not ITK  :) )

• Like 1

Do you have a full comprehensive list of expected profit/losses for the current financial year!? How do you know whether some of the teams who have made more TV money haven't made less than us in other areas and/or have greater expenses in relation to their income!?

What other teams do with their money has nothing to do with Lerner. The fact is though that clubs have caught and overtaken us on terms of money coming in. Once again a low league finish has played a part in this.

Besides, it's almost a pointless debate as we're being sold. The projected operating profit for this year looks positive. We're in an excellent position to kick on under a new owner. Heck...if the new bloke is very generous and willing to invest significant amounts, or is a super filthy rich Mansour type, then what on earth will compensation paid out for old managers got to do with anything!? How has he done long term damage when any perceived damage by hysterical types can be undone by a new owner!?

If we get that owner then great but at the moment we don't know what owner we will have.

I don't understand why you absolutely destroy Lambert but jump to the defence of Lerner.

Since Lerner's leaving, I don't see the point in beating him any more. When fans believed it was in the best interest of the club, I could disagree with them, but understand that they thought they were doing what was best and right for the club. Now it just sounds petty and spiteful to me. (Just a personal opinion, not ITK :) )

People still slag off Doug, McLeish, MON, Heskey etc.. And they've left the club.

Give me £150 million and some quality coaches as O'neil had, an we could probably qualify a team for europe. With the money he had this wasn't proof of a top quality manager.

• Like 1

letting him, letting him, ;)

On what basis would he not let him and still retain his services....If an owner/Ceo/Chairman denied a manager the opportunity to buy a player on the basis he knew best, you would have a hue and cry. it would be headlines on MOTD, Manager not allowed to manage. The fan base would be in uproar.. manager not allowed to manage, the chairman dictating who comes in, he might as well put a track suit on.

no this is manager territory alright.

If Martin O'Neill had of had Lerner saying NO.....he would have walked much, much earlier.

Er no. One of Lerner's biggest mistakes was letting a steve stride type  go and not replacing him on the board. From the outside they lacked people with football experience. We had a owner with then money to burn but not interested in the day to day stuff. Hence hiring a respected manager at the surface level, but always overspent on players. Guess what- O'Neill had total free reign and overspent on huge contracts without anyone controlling him. Football is too big now just to let the manager run everything and we paid the price for that. 

Edited by The Fun Factory

Â