The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Randy, please just make sure you do not mess up the future of the club by selling it to some nutjob who thinks he knows everything and actually, knows nothing! We need people at the club who know what they are doing and are serious about making Villa great again.

For all the richer owners, Blackburn, QPR, Fulham et al we had Lerner. He made some mistakes along the line. Some bad decisions based on poor advice no doubt. For me he was an honest custodian with the clubs best interest at heart always. Maybe a folly that put him out of his depth for sure, but some of the bile I've seen posted about him well y'all who posted such can suck a bag of dicks, a whole bag of them. That's my honest opinion

Hoodwinked by others. Sold a vision by the likes of MON and got his fingers burnt. Lerner had the best of intentions and some notable things for the club and community but ultimately English football is no longer what he invested in originally. He'll do his best to find the right owners. This club will not be handed over to a variant of Venky's.

The way those who hate him and all he stands for (citing the last 3/4 years only but ignoring the early years) - I hope to god he does do the right thing and sell us to honourable people. I'd hate this site if we got a Vincent Tan wannabe. 

The guy upheld the traditions of our great club. Made our European Winners welcome and celebrated. Leaves the club in a financially better position with little or no debt. Do not doubt he was a Villa Fan (and before you go stating he wasn't - nor was Ellis - he was on the board of our bitterest rivals before he came here). 

He's left at the right time and not hung around. 

I don't want another Ellis - I want someone better than that.

• Like 4

There are several posters that could learn a thing or two from Randy Lerner in terms of being respectful to others. He leaves with my appreciation and best wishes despite the difficult last 3 years.

Edited by Robbie09

Last 3 years worse than Doug's final year and he gets thanked for it. I just don't get it.

A football club is a business and just isn't about what happens on the pitch (although that is the whole point)

Randy has developed the club's training ground, facilities, links to the community (which will in turn generate future fanbases) and generally stabilised our finances so we're not going to go bust anytime soon.

He came in a bit gungho, got his fingers burnt and calmed the spending down. But I will still standby the fact he hasn't been bad for Aston Villa as a club.

Good bye Randy, sorry it has not worked out and you could not reach the level you wished. Good luck in you're new role what ever it is. You have been respectful to the fans and the club and always had our bests interests at heart. Yes the cost cutting hurt and you have been slammed for it but I believe the reality of why will be evident shortly when the club goes forward. 

Lambert gets absolutely hammered, yet Lerner gets the thanks for pulling the plug on investment and putting us through three terrible years!

Do you know why Mike?  In my humble opinion the reason why is he is not Ellis and people invested years and so much effort in his removal to now admit that the man who replaced him was not much (if at all better) is a bitter pill to swallow but that's just my opinion,  if people feel that way they are entitled to but thats the reason I suspect.

Lambert gets absolutely hammered, yet Lerner gets the thanks for pulling the plug on investment and putting us through three terrible years!

I appreciate RL is "actively selling" the club.  ;)

Do you know why Mike?  In my humble opinion the reason why is he is not Ellis and people invested years and so much effort in his removal to now admit that the man who replaced him was not much (if at all better) is a bitter pill to swallow but that's just my opinion,  if people feel that way they are entitled to but thats the reason I suspect.

Could be Ellis was poor but that doesn't mean that Lerner was great. He didn't seem too concerned over our premiership survival for the last few years and was willing to risk that too.

I found his statement quite condescending to be honest.

The way those who hate him and all he stands for (citing the last 3/4 years only but ignoring the early years) - I hope to god he does do the right thing and sell us to honourable people. I'd hate this site if we got a Vincent Tan wannabe.

The guy upheld the traditions of our great club. Made our European Winners welcome and celebrated. Leaves the club in a financially better position with little or no debt. Do not doubt he was a Villa Fan (and before you go stating he wasn't - nor was Ellis - he was on the board of our bitterest rivals before he came here).

He's left at the right time and not hung around.

I don't want another Ellis - I want someone better than that.

Naz, I cannot speak for others but I never "hated" him and up till before O'Neill's departure he was making all the right noises and had done some fantastic things for the club - that will be very much his legacy.

But the appointment of McLeish who had just managed to get sha relegated was stupid beyond belief and felt like a direct snub to many fans. The subsequent farcical debates with Krulak made things worse and from that point on everything began to unravel. IF he had either directly or via Faulkner laid his cards on the table and explained what the new plan was a lot might have been more sympathetic - but we were either told nothing or fed more BS about "the project"

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 1

Â