The Randy Lerner thread

CI

We earn more than the majority of clubs, the fact we're dropping in this area is down to the owner.

We should be a consistent top 8 club that some years with a bit of luck in the transfer market or youth development can push for top 6.

It wouldn't take a sheik to make this happen.

3 consecutive bottom half finishes.

4 consecutive relegation worried years.

Club records being broken.

There may be worse out there but our current one is not good enough for this club.

• Like 1

We earn more than the majority of clubs, the fact we're dropping in this area is down to the owner.

We should be a consistent top 8 club that some years with a bit of luck in the transfer market or youth development can push for top 6.

Should? Why SHOULD we? We were under MON with absolutely no financial controls in place but that way only leads to Leeds Utd.

We certainly earn less than Manyoo, Arsenal, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and Newcastle. I would also imagine Sunderland, West Ham, Everton run us pretty close. With the current investment policy and revenue we are underachieving but mid table is about right for the club.

Money doesn't guarantee success though does it? I accept it makes it easier but the richest club in the country is currently mid table. Everton have got by for years barely having a pot to piss in and they consistently over achieve by your logic.

Money doesn't guarantee success though does it? I accept it makes it easier but the richest club in the country is currently mid table. Everton have got by for years barely having a pot to piss in and they consistently over achieve by your logic.

Agreed. Which is why with a decent owner and decent manager we would be there. Like I said we don't need a sheik to become a consistent top 8 team.

I'm looking at the history of the club and the money we earn.

Theres no way a club like ours should have experienced the last 4 years. A competent owner would have seen us as a consistent top 8 club and a new one should be able to also.

• Like 1

I think you are looking at the exception and deciding it proves the rule.

It doesn't.

Everton have consistently out performed us over the whole of the lerner tenure by employing good managers in for the long term and having a consistent transfer policy. It's not a fluke Everton are where they are, it's good management at Board level. If Everton can consistently finish top 6 there is no reason we can't with a good knowledgeable board. Mega bucks don't guarantee success brains do!  

New owner could turn out good or bad. What do people think about 51% fan ownership, could be a different solution. 

Well we have a bad owner now so maybe we deserve a good one after Ellis then Lerner?

Has fan ownership ever been done in this country? Plus if VT is anything to go by there would be a few rows at the shareholders meetings??

• Like 1

Think it could be a good idea and not a pipe dream. Could see people who care about the club involved and enable us to have questions answered. Everyone would be looking out for the good of the club. Think its as much a realistic idea as getting a new owner is. If the club is valued at around 200 million as well it would allow randy to recoup 100 million. Think I remember reading that a club in the championship or league one is doing it as well. Works well in the German league, we could be the first to jump on board that ship instead of waiting for others to do it and saying its too late and we missed out on improving first. 

Surely if he were to be gone in the summer, we'd have had more of an incling than just a few twitter rumours??

Selling a Premier League club can't be done overnight on a handshake - it must take months to arrange?

Surely if he were to be gone in the summer, we'd have had more of an incling than just a few twitter rumours??

Selling a Premier League club can't be done overnight on a handshake - it must take months to arrange?

we won't be sold in the summer just people making stuff up on twitter

Not at all, he does want to sell. As for it being just twitter, it isn't, and there are possible interested parties who would be good for us, but the asking price and terms might not be right. Not everything on twitter is bullshit, although that avfctranstweet is a bandwagon jumper.

• Like 1

When we are sold I think it will just come out of the blue and It might not make complete sense in that it might come shortly after we've signed a player or signed some deal that might make people think that nothing is on the horizon. What I mean is it could happen at any time.

Think it could be a good idea and not a pipe dream. Could see people who care about the club involved and enable us to have questions answered. Everyone would be looking out for the good of the club. Think its as much a realistic idea as getting a new owner is. If the club is valued at around 200 million as well it would allow randy to recoup 100 million. Think I remember reading that a club in the championship or league one is doing it as well. Works well in the German league, we could be the first to jump on board that ship instead of waiting for others to do it and saying its too late and we missed out on improving first. 

So 100m, at 5k a person that's 20,000 individuals.  Do we have 20,000 Villa fans that have a spare 5k to use.  You could argue that that some people could invest more than others and then they'll want more influence than others.  We only have a few hundred regular contributors to this site and we don't agree on anything so 20,000 people having voices...........hmmm 

Not at all, he does want to sell. As for it being just twitter, it isn't, and there are possible interested parties who would be good for us, but the asking price and terms might not be right. Not everything on twitter is bullshit, although that avfctranstweet is a bandwagon jumper.

Yep, 

I could start a rumour because a big expensive private jet arrived at BHX Saturday late morning and departed not long after the game finished. I don't know where it came from, but it departed to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. It's owned by a charter company, so no clues there.

May have been related, may not, who knows?!

New owner could turn out good or bad. What do people think about 51% fan ownership, could be a different solution. 

Well we have a bad owner now so maybe we deserve a good one after Ellis then Lerner?

Has fan ownership ever been done in this country? Plus if VT is anything to go by there would be a few rows at the shareholders meetings??

Ha ha, the shareholders meetings would certainly be more exciting than most of our home games this season.

Â