The Randy Lerner thread

CI

So you don't think if we spent 20mil on 3 decent players this summer, it would make a big difference? 

In terms of league position/points then I guess it depends on whether or not those teams around us also spend a similar figure on improving there squads and if they do if they bring in better/worse players than we do.

The squad that we have at the moment is as poor as I can remember in my 30+ years following us. Given what good players cost I think it is going to take a hell of a lot more than 20 mill and three players to make the improvements needed.

Yep.

The problem is, as I have said before, even if/when we do improve on what we have, other teams are doing similar but spending more on wages/fees - and so will attract better players.

Yea there's nothing to say we should expect a 20m budget in the summer except that's what we have had the last two summers and is also the amount of cash extra we get from the tv deal to break us even.

Off the horse now by the way?

So you don't think if we spent 20mil on 3 decent players this summer, it would make a big difference?

In terms of league position/points then I guess it depends on whether or not those teams around us also spend a similar figure on improving there squads and if they do if they bring in better/worse players than we do.

The squad that we have at the moment is as poor as I can remember in my 30+ years following us. Given what good players cost I think it is going to take a hell of a lot more than 20 mill and three players to make the improvements needed.

Yep it will take a few years of buying only a few players per summer with a 20m budget

Sadly Villa fans are more apathetic now than they have ever been. But I believe that many are wrong to believe that because Ellis wasn't influenced by fan protests that Lerner will not be either. For Ellis, Villa was his life, his "raison d'être" and he didn't give a shit what the "men on the terraces" thought of him. For Lerner it is a hobby that has gone badly wrong. He clearly has lost his passion for AVFC, thinks that he can recoup his losses by imposing wage caps and naively believes that AVFC can survive as a premiership club with players fit for the lower leagues. If we do not go down this season, the current strategy will mean we face years of clinging on and relying on others being worse.

IF the fans make it clear that they are absolutely sick to death of Lerner's mismanagement in my opinion he will not be able to take the flak, will cut his losses and actively seek a buyer. Frankly it is amazing that there has been no protests against him. If Lambert is targeted and eventually sacked I would not trust Lerner to replace him with anyone better or change the financial constraints a new manager would have to work under.

The sooner the fans realise Lerner is at the root of our problems, the sooner they will turn and he will sell. I do not accept that he will simply ignore the fans as Ellis did. In my experience rich Americans are very sensitive to criticism and I very much doubt that Lerner would have Ellis's tenacity.

MON, McLeish, Lambert were/are responsible to varying to degrees for the mess we are in, but the ultimate responsibility lies with RANDY LERNER. He is the common thread. I have heard that he is a decent guy, but he still needs to be told in no uncertain terms that we do not trust him with our club. As for who would replace him - what difference does it make? If you still believe the "bright future" bullshit you are deluded. Our future is bleak as long as Lerner owns our club.

We need to get off our arses, stop bitching on radio stations/forums, quit being apathetic and demand change!!

LERNER OUT!

Mike, this is an excellent post. It's a refreshing analysis in a thread that has now become repetitive and irksome.

I don't necessarily agree with the "Lerner Out" message, but I think you're absolutely correct in thinking that Lerner wouldn't put up much resistance were he to feel that the majority of support has turned against him.

You're spot on in that Ellis was stubborn, and Villa was his life, which made it difficult for him to be ousted. The protests against him made no difference, despite the best efforts of those who tried their best, but this shouldn't put anyone off protesting against Randy Lerner.

I wouldn't join in any protest, but I'd respect anyone who actually had the conviction to stop complaining on internet forums and get out there and do something. If the protests failed then at least people have tried.

Heck, at the very least it might prompt him into telling us what he plans for the club; what's his vision; how does he feel about Aston Villa in 2014; and why he's done things in the way he has.

I just don't want to hear it from Faulkner any more; I'd like Randy to speak up himself for a change.

• Like 2

I was involved in a participating way with the last protest against HDE....There too the fan base was split.

I am still of the opinion it is more manager than owner. I think Lerner was ok until  the MON contretemps and then he was a changed man IMO.

Managers do need money to trade, but they need ability to trade in equal amounts..... we need to buy the right players.

We are no more certain that a change of owner will bare anymore fruit than a change of Manager, but I am equally not sure we can just run with this status quo much longer.....some action needs to be taken.

If Randy has lost interest, you would hope he would do the honourable thing, if he has an ounce of affection for this club, he will sell it  to someone, that is willing to drive it forward and hopefully they will make a better fist of appointing the right staff. 

PS I am not advocating that Tony Pulis is the saviour of all football clubs, but when you appoint a deliberate man like him, it spreads to the players....Palace were down for me, so it shows it can be done with the right application and that money is a very nice thing to have to make it that bit easier.....The best things in life are free and primarily they are what WE are missing.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Someone in reply to him someone says that he spoke with Lambert's mates in the executive boxes and they say that Randy want's out and that Lambert fears for his job. He's actually tweeted that to a lot of villa related accounts so he certainly wants to get what he's heard about.

Edited by useless

Other than a more clued up owner on this industry I don't know what a new owner would bring I firmly point the finger at Faulkner as he is in charge of the club as CEO.

He'd bring a new CEO.

He'd bring a new Manager.

He'd bring a different plan.

He'd possibly bring a DOF

He'd bring a sense of hope to the fans and players.

• Like 1

All correct except for the last one. He could bring a sense of hope to the fans and players, but he could also scare the life out of us. I'm pretty sure Carson Yeung and the Venkys brought in new managers, CEOs & plans with them.

All correct except for the last one. He could bring a sense of hope to the fans and players, but he could also scare the life out of us. I'm pretty sure Carson Yeung and the Venkys brought in new managers, CEOs & plans with them.

Very true. I had only considered the best possible outcome - which, sadly, can be far from reality.

• Like 1

Is that the only argument people have they bring up 2 owners out of the 92 available in the main leagues? What about the other 90 owners? We could get a decent owner willing to work on taking the club forward? No owner is perfect but to be honest I don't see the difference between Yeung or the Venkys and Lerner at the moment?

You don't notice the difference that Blackburn and sha are in the championship, and we are not?

I haven't got a great deal of knowledge on all 92 owners unfortunately. Maybe someone with more knowledge will give you an example of a fantastic owner of a League 1 side that we can hopefully emulate.

Trouble is the gap is too wide now. We will never be a major force in English football again. (I'd debate that we have EVER been a major force but thats another story)

A new owner would have to be willing to sink £1bn+ into the club over 5-10 years to get us even close to the top where some members of this forum feel we have a divine right to be. Its not going to happen. We are an unfashionable club, in an unfashionable city in an unfashionable part of the country. We have no access to vast foreign revenue streams, and regularly fall 10k plus short on our stadium capacity at games.  Any potential new investor into the club is going to be looking at a massive loss making operation, £60m a year from the TV isn't going to tempt your average billionaire owner. We need an arab state or Bill Gates type wealth and it just won't happen.

Lerner will keep us in the PL we wont go down (fingers crossed I don't think) and the best we can ever hope for is to be top of the bottom half mini league.

Lerner ain't the best, he certainly ain't the worst owner around. Be careful what you wish for fellow Villans.

• Like 1

Â