The Randy Lerner thread

CI

We would have had an exciting team if Houllier had stayed.  He had connections and he is the only manager in recent times I can remember going for exciting transfers.  Isn't it almost a given that we'd have had Cabaye if he'd stayed?

• Like 3

We would have had an exciting team if Houllier had stayed.  He had connections and he is the only manager in recent times I can remember going for exciting transfers.  Isn't it almost a given that we'd have had Cabaye if he'd stayed?

He had connections for sure, and players rated him, which is important too.

I liked Houllier. Had he not been ill, I think we would currently be in Newcastle/ Southampton's position, pushing for the Europa League places.

Even when he was ill we should have bumped him upstairs and left GMac in charge. But nope, the master plan was Mceish. I still cant get over that

• Like 1

Yep, his only downfall was his PR was awful.

I couldn't believe people got so cut up about not receiving a wave from the manager at an away day. It was a big day for him personally, the guy nearly died when he was there and had many happy years with Liverpool. Big deal that he didn't wave. I can't believe so many people cried about it. Ridiculous.

He was leading us in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. It was a shame what happened, but I still can't wrap my head around the humongous u-turn from Houllier's vision to appointing McLeish. It's like buying a nice pair of shoes only to get back home, take a shit on them and put them in the bin.

I couldn't think of a better analogy, sorry.

After the match he ignored his own fans and went to applaud the Kop. You can acknowledge your own fans briefly before thanking Liverpool fans for their support, but don't ignore them completely. In that match it was almost like the fact that Aston Villa were playing was totally irrelevant.

I wanted him out immediately after that.

We keep hearing this, but look at who he actually signed while he was here.  Darren Bent and Jean Makoun for the thick end of £30m, plus Pires, Bradley and and Walker on loan.

He was leading us in the right direction as far as I'm concerned

Until he was far away from the players we were heading lower and lower in the league.

Which is just not true, after we signed Bent and Makoun, Houllier's first proper signings, and up until GMac took over, we won 5, drew 4 and lost only 3, which is the form that undoubtedly saved us that season.

We may have technically and mathematically only been safe with 1 or 2 games to go, but we reached the total we needed to stay up with Houllier's last win, then GMac "saved" us.

I liked Houllier. Had he not been ill, I think we would currently be in Newcastle/ Southampton's position, pushing for the Europa League places.

On the money we have had to spend and the way we have had to slash wages in the three years since he left there is absolutely no chance Houllier would have had us where Saints/Newcastle are now.

The guy was a known cheque book manager and proved it within 3 months of arriving. He inherited a squad less Milner but with the addition of Ireland that had just given the club its best season in years. Under him we quickly found ourselves battling relegation serving up gutless tripe. At a time the club  was looking to cut costs they had to give him the best part of 30 mill to bring in two permanent and two loan signings in January and the best part of 200k in wages on Bent, Makoun, Bradley, Walker and Pires to help get us out the shit he got us into.

In his 28 games in charge we took just 33 points. There is no way of this earth the following summer with Young and Downing leaving and being given a transfer budget of minus 20 mill and having to slash wages things would have gotten any better. The guy would not have been able to cope with not having a pot to piss in.

For me given that the club decided it wanted to cut costs Houllier is the strangest appointment we have made.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

On the money we have had to spend and the way we have had to slash wages in the three years since he left there is absolutely no chance Houllier would have had us where Saints/Newcastle are now.

The guy was a known cheque book manager and proved it within 3 months of arriving. He inherited a squad less Milner but with the addition of Ireland that had just given the club its best season in years. Under him we quickly found ourselves battling relegation serving up gutless tripe. At a time the club  was looking to cut costs they had to give him the best part of 30 mill to bring in two permanent and two loan signings in January and the best part of 200k in wages on Bent, Makoun, Bradley, Walker and Pires to help get us out the shit he got us into.

In his 28 games in charge we took just 33 points. There is no way of this earth the following summer with Young and Downing leaving and being given a transfer budget of minus 20 mill and having to slash wages things would have gotten any better. The guy would not have been able to cope with not having a pot to piss in.

For me given that the club decided it wanted to cut costs Houllier is the strangest appointment we have made.

Some of your recounting is a little selective - though I can't really argue against your final statement.

You are missing a few convenient things from that season (my turn to be selective) :

- No preseason or summer window

- Massive injury crisis (which is what happens when fat, useless, overpaid players are actually made to train)

- Poison in the dressing room. Collins, Dunne, NRC, Warnock causing problems (some off the field)

- Blooding of Clarke, Albrighton and Bannan (Gardener?)

- Our possession stats went up, our overall play was improving over the predictability of MON (and the earlier 6-0 thumping at Newcastle before Houllier arrived)

Was it a risk? Given his health - absolutely. Was it a bad move? Other than knowing we needed to reign in spending - no.

We keep hearing this, but look at who he actually signed while he was here.  Darren Bent and Jean Makoun for the thick end of £30m, plus Pires, Bradley and and Walker on loan.

Risso, He wasn't here long enough to tell.....but I take your point on that basis he was here just long enough to **** us up financially.

Edited by TRO

Â