The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I think the problem isn't how many layers of management there are, just that Faulkner isn't really qualified as a CEO of a massive football club. His brand of corporate bullshit is more suited to a commercial director role or something.

And I think there are two quite obvious reasons as to why Randy opposed the FFP ruling. Firstly, it basically closes the door behind the current powers that be, and secondly because if a wealthy group or individual can't legitimately throw money at a club to be successful, which would have to happen with Villa, it makes us less desirable and harder to sell.

• Like 1

I think the problem isn't how many layers of management there are, just that Faulkner isn't really qualified as a CEO of a massive football club. His brand of corporate bullshit is more suited to a commercial director role or something.

And I think there are two quite obvious reasons as to why Randy opposed the FFP ruling. Firstly, it basically closes the door behind the current powers that be, and secondly because if a wealthy group or individual can't legitimately throw money at a club to be successful, which would have to happen with Villa, it makes us less desirable and harder to sell.

At first I don't recognise you without your avatar! Where's Frank gone?

Faulkner has schmoozed his way up to his role, and is much more accomplished than your average commercial director. He has done some good (getting rid of O'Neill, extracting ridiculous fees for Barry, Young and Downing), and he has done some bad (instrumental in the appointment of McLeish, signing Ireland after the manager who wanted him had departed), but his stock as a 'football' CEO has risen on the outside of VP, and I don't think that he would have too much of a problem getting a similar job in football, if he chose to stay in that field.

At first I don't recognise you without your avatar! Where's Frank gone?

Faulkner has schmoozed his way up to his role, and is much more accomplished than your average commercial director. He has done some good (getting rid of O'Neill, extracting ridiculous fees for Barry, Young and Downing), and he has done some bad (instrumental in the appointment of McLeish, signing Ireland after the manager who wanted him had departed), but his stock as a 'football' CEO has risen on the outside of VP, and I don't think that he would have too much of a problem getting a similar job in football, if he chose to stay in that field.

Well fingers crossed eh? If he needs a lift to any interviews I am available to drive him!

Remember he also oversaw the signing of Houllier another unmittigated disaster in the Lerner tenure!

Well fingers crossed eh? If he needs a lift to any interviews I am available to drive him!

Remember he also oversaw the signing of Houllier another unmittigated disaster in the Lerner tenure!

In fairness I think that only the most unreasonable would not see the Houllier tenure as a dose of bad luck.

They went about things the right way and appointed a manager of immense pedigree. McLeish was downright foolish, but Houllier was unlucky.

In fairness I think that only the most unreasonable would not see the Houllier tenure as a dose of bad luck.

They went about things the right way and appointed a manager of immense pedigree. McLeish was downright foolish, but Houllier was unlucky.

Just me disagreeing on that one then? Awful appointment IMO. Management style of isolating all the senior squad and it was only after Houllier was unfortunately taken ill that that the results improved and the side reached their potential. Changed the style of play whether or not it suited the players and too pig headed to admit he was wrong. Remember we were in the relegation spots for most of the season with a team that included Young, Downing and Petrov. I would give a limb for one player of that quality in the current side!

Just me disagreeing on that one then? Awful appointment IMO. Management style of isolating all the senior squad and it was only after Houllier was unfortunately taken ill that that the results improved and the side reached their potential. Changed the style of play whether or not it suited the players and too pig headed to admit he was wrong. Remember we were in the relegation spots for most of the season with a team that included Young, Downing and Petrov. I would give a limb for one player of that quality in the current side!

No, I agree with everything that you have written, because it's a pretty good summary of the Houllier tenure. That was the bad luck to which I referred.

But the appointment was made in good faith, and seemed a good one at the time.

I just read on a wrestling site Vince McMahon is interested in buying Newcastle (probably B.S.) 

Who would have him at the helm?

The diving in the box would certainly be more entertaining.

I'd also like to see us defending a corner by having the CB's climb the goal posts and bomb on the attackers Macho Man style!

macho-man-randy-savage-o.gif

• Like 1

I just read on a wrestling site Vince McMahon is interested in buying Newcastle (probably B.S.) 

Who would have him at the helm?

Vince definitely has the competitive streak about him needed to take us back up the table.

I'm not sure he quite has the funds though, not to compete with the guys right at the top.

PF is doing the job he is paid to do. I am pretty sure the hiring of managers is more RL than him. his job is to run the commercial side and the player contracts etc. I think he is doing ok as we are now self sustaining as RL requested. As we start to improve on our buys and league position then his job will be easier to sell us commercially. you have to remember to get sponsers in the position we have been in is pretty impossible so to do what he has done shows his worth. It is pretty easy to moan at akll and sundry when things do not go well but it is not his job to pick the players or tactics.

Houllier was a stupid decision. Out the game for years with health issues. Yeah perfect man to come and build something at the club.

20/20 hindsight again.

What do you mean again? I wasn't happy with houllier when he joined. Don't have a go at me because of your own lack of sense.

Â