The Randy Lerner thread

CI

It is the ONLY way we are going to be successful. So if you want the club to have a chance at winning things and competing at a higher stage with better players and retaining them, then I am afraid we need mega money to do that

You want the club to be "live within its (current) means" then we dont need mega millions.

The game is money driven I'm afraid and our engine is seizing up. We need oil to lubricate it again!

Tom Ross on Thegoalzone twitter;

Randy Lerner is not selling Villa. Stories about him wanting out are not true... #avfc #villa

Well if Ron Toss says it's not happening all I can say is...

Welcome to Villa our Qatari overlords! :D

It is the ONLY way we are going to be successful. So if you want the club to have a chance at winning things and competing at a higher stage with better players and retaining them, then I am afraid we need mega money to do that

You want the club to be "live within its (current) means" then we dont need mega millions.

The game is money driven I'm afraid and our engine is seizing up. We need oil to lubricate it again!

Though I completely agree with your post Richard (And this is not a pro Lerner post) and we all want our club to be successful, would you be happy to see us simply blow everyone out of the water, effectively buy success?

As I said above, we all know that's the way football is these days, its just there is something about city and chelsea before that imo rips the heart out of football.

There are seriously people who would rather see us in 10th place with average premiership players in the squad than see us challenging for the title, champs league with world class players wearing the shirt?

Really?

Last time I looked man city fans seem to be having the time of their lives. I'd love to be in there shoes.

I'd rather be a football club trying to "live within its means" than become yet another a Franchise FC... or an oil barron's chew toy. I think there is some pride in that myself.

Yes. Agreed very much.

It makes me wonder what Ramsay, Rinder and McGrgeor would have thought about this ... but I'll be accused of living in the past!

The example set by by the likes of Chelsea and Man C is what is helping to make a mockery of football and at some point it will all implode if this kind of materialistic nonsence were to continue.

Soemone with some money who has an affinity with at least the Midlands is what is required. If you have to have a big money organisation, why not Tata (Jaguar Cars) - at least they have a local interest.

I predict

a) A sale

or

B) 500+ pages of speculation expecting some big name to come in, squabbling amongst VTers, Blues wind-up merchants turning up again, only to find out that rather than being taken over, the annoucement is in fact a statement that Lerner has gone bankrupt.

I'd rather be a football club trying to "live within its means" than become yet another a Franchise FC... or an oil barron's chew toy. I think there is some pride in that myself.

Yes. Agreed very much.

It makes me wonder what Ramsay, Rinder and McGrgeor would have thought about this ... but I'll be accused of living in the past!

The example set by by the likes of Chelsea and Man C is what is helping to make a mockery of football and at some point it will all implode if this kind of materialistic nonsence were to continue.

Soemone with some money who has an affinity with at least the Midlands is what is required. If you have to have a big money organisation, why not Tata (Jaguar Cars) - at least they have a local interest.

Cant see TATA pumping anymore money than Mr Lerner, their business men and quite ruthless ones at that. I also agree with SilverPeacock, it aint gonna last this richest man wins model, it will kill the game.

I agree. Also, why do people think that if Randy were to sell that would suddenly mean mega rich Russians/Arabs?

Not sure quite how it's OK to be the chew toy of a billionaire whose daddy earned his money in banking but not the same for an oil baron.

And I certainly don't want Villa to live within the means we seem to have available at the moment. Might just as well have supported SHA all my life if that is where we are heading.

Not sure quite how it's OK to be the chew toy of a billionaire whose daddy earned his money in banking but not the same for an oil baron.

And I certainly don't want Villa to live within the means we seem to have available at the moment. Might just as well have supported SHA all my life if that is where we are heading.

Bit like Tom Ross then.

While a noble notion in theory, the means that Villa live within are absurdly rich from the perspective of most clubs in the Football League....Villa have maintained their status as top division regulars partly if not primarily because they could afford to buy the players that could assure that status. All you have to do is look at the Bent signing. As soon as things looked a bit dodgy, Lerner went and shattered the club transfer record in order to secure our position in the Premiership. Villa are owned by a foreign billionaire who has revamped the training facilities, the Holte Hotel, the ground itself, spent boatloads of money on players, etc. So we are living within our means. For most clubs, our means are astronomical. Not quite Man City territory, but worlds away from Huddersfield or Oldham or Coventry City....

still cant understand why people seem so certain Randys washed his hands with us..

weve had a difficult time recently and so he is keeping a low profile. With the coming fair play rules and the current financial woes he is balancing the books.

seems perfectly sensible to me and i dont see any signs he has lost interest, or decided to cut his losses. He has invested massively in a project here, he isnt the sort to do things like this on a whim and sell up as soon as things go bad else he would have flogged the cleveland browns long ago.

he's here to stay, and i think we will see continued investment. I think he got his fingers badly burnt with O'Neil and is being alot more cautious now, thats all.

im still damn gratefull overall for what he has done for us despite a couple of major cockups. Despite all our recent woes we are still a top 10 side, with a front two worth together about 35-40mill, and yet another crop of exciting prospects coming through (clarke, gardner, bannan). We arent obviously going to get top 4 anytime soon, but cant see any reason we cant still be in the mix with the chasing pack. Its not what we hoped but its a damn sight better than what we had before.

I hope he stays and proves the doubters wrong. He isnt being helped by too managers wasting what money we do have on too many crap players (O'Neil on the Heskeys, Sidwells, etc. Houllier with Makoun, Ireland, now Mcleish with Hutton)

Â