The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Qatar Petroleum anyone? Hand on heart...

Nope, because then we become the epitome of everything I have grown to dislike about Premier League football. The sanitised moey takes all, no-one cares attitude.

The most joy I get from Villa is seeing the young players come through. This would stop.

Not for me, ta

Say more

It's not an ITK statement, it's common knowledge that QP are in the market for a Premier League club (Blackburn and Everton are linked at the moment) so I just wondered what your thoughts would be if Randy were to sell to a company like this, I'm just using QP as an example...

That's not an easy question to answer

Head says yeah why not we could compete again

Heart says no, why I'm not sure because I think we've already lost the villa we all know and love

It's ruining the game but it's the only way to compete for the big awards, could anyone honestly say they wouldn't want to see world-class players at Villa Park and us being in the running for every trophy going? It makes me sick to say it but I'd put up with being run like another Man Citeh/Malaga/PSG/Chelsea if it meant that...

It's very feasible imo. Before Randy Lerner bought AVFC, Arabs were very interested but I cant remember if it was Kuwaiti's or Qatari's. The rumours linking them with Blackburn really doesn't sound feasible. Would the country holding the 2022 World Cup want to own one of the smallest Premier League Clubs?

Villa's historic pedigree in terms of past honours and being league founders would undoubtedly satisfy the ego of the Arabs.

Whether we agree or not with being the plaything on an even bigger Billionaire, there is little doubt that Villa could be massive again with Arab money.

It's very feasible imo. Before Randy Lerner bought AVFC, Arabs were very interested but I cant remember if it was Kuwaiti's or Qatari's. The rumours linking them with Blackburn really doesn't sound feasible. Would the country holding the 2022 World Cup want to own one of the smallest Premier League Clubs?

Villa's historic pedigree in terms of past honours and being league founders would undoubtedly satisfy the ego of the Arabs.

Whether we agree or not with being the plaything on an even bigger Billionaire, there is little doubt that Villa could be massive again with Arab money.

Interesting, I think I share your opinion, a poll is needed me thinks.

If they are richer than Monsoor or can at least compete with him then fine with me

I dont really care about head or heart statements I only want to see us winning things again please

Interesting, I think I share your opinion, a poll is needed me thinks.

I'd take it. World class players, a new North stand / Witton Lane and I'd be extremely happy.

Mike, I know what you're saying about the relative size of Backburn, but they still are the only club outside the other 3 that have won the Premier League!!

They also were an original member of the League (and were very supportive of McGregor - perhaps more so than many of the clubs - read "The Inspirational William McGregor"!) and enjoyed a great FA Cup tradition.

Quite a lot of heritage there, actually.

Ugh!! :cry: Thank goodness the world is going to have to radically change in the next 2 or 3 years.

A rich investor is exactly what we had when Lerner first arrived. We made it to 6th in the Premiership 3 years in a row because we spent more than most other teams in the league. I dont think you could reasonably say that you wouldn't want a richer owner whilst being happy to keep Lerner here. Man City are just an exagerated version of what we were when Lerner arrived, to really dismiss the merits of a billionaire owner, you first need to disprove of everything we've done since Lerner arrived.

A rich investor is exactly what we had when Lerner first arrived. We made it to 6th in the Premiership 3 years in a row because we spent more than most other teams in the league. I dont think you could reasonably say that you wouldn't want a richer owner whilst being happy to keep Lerner here. Man City are just an exagerated version of what we were when Lerner arrived, to really dismiss the merits of a billionaire owner, you first need to disprove of everything we've done since Lerner arrived.

I agree, things financially have stepped up a gear in the last few years and we crave success, the only way to achieve that is wealth. Football is akin to capitalism, money=power&success.

... we crave success, the only way to achieve that is wealth. Football is akin to capitalism, money=power&success.

In reality, knowledge = power, but not necessarily as an input to money.

And capitalism as we know it aint got much time to run.

We had a period of spending further beyond our means than perhaps any other club. We tried to get into the cash cow that is the CL, we just missed out. I think as a result our income didn't grow as much as projected and cut backs need to be made. I don't think we've willingly let any of our best players go.
So after years saying "At least we're not Leeds" we find out that we actually are.
You think we're like Leeds?
Look at your original quote that I commented on. Look at what you are saying.

There you have explained perfectly what happened to Leeds really. They spent vast amounts at the time, well above their means chasing the dream. They managed it once but found it was unsutainable consequently they had to sladh and burn

Now maybe we did not reach the highs Leeds did (in terms of success and spending) and maybe we will be lucky enough to avoid the lows (who knows) but in terms of what you have said happened there, it is exactly like what happened with Leeds

Exactly what happened, except for the fall free fall down the leagues, and the dire financial mess, dodgy chairman, internal troubles and general complete collapse, we're exactly the same.

We had a period of spending further beyond our means than perhaps any other club. We tried to get into the cash cow that is the CL, we just missed out. I think as a result our income didn't grow as much as projected and cut backs need to be made. I don't think we've willingly let any of our best players go.
So after years saying "At least we're not Leeds" we find out that we actually are.
You think we're like Leeds?
Look at your original quote that I commented on. Look at what you are saying.

There you have explained perfectly what happened to Leeds really. They spent vast amounts at the time, well above their means chasing the dream. They managed it once but found it was unsutainable consequently they had to sladh and burn

Now maybe we did not reach the highs Leeds did (in terms of success and spending) and maybe we will be lucky enough to avoid the lows (who knows) but in terms of what you have said happened there, it is exactly like what happened with Leeds

Exactly what happened, except for the fall free fall down the leagues, and the dire financial mess, dodgy chairman, internal troubles and general complete collapse, we're exactly the same.

The difference is they borrowed from expensive sources, gambling on success, they failed and the house or cards collapsed. We've borrowed from the owner's trust fund at a decent rate of interest and have pulled back from the brink before financial meltdown occurs.

It could have been the same as Leeds but it isn't

Â