Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I see various threads having a go at x or y player, most legitimate. However...

I don't think there is any point in laying into individuals after that game, I really don't. Whether you choose to lay into N'Zogbia, Bannan, Clark whoever (ok maybe Clark), the problem v Everton was that the team didn't know what they were doing as a unit.

We have some weak players, but the overriding factor was a lack of understanding, that will come - hopefully. Lambert has his job cut out.

1. He really needs Dunne back asap. I don't think he's a great defender, but he has the experience to help the others in the back 4.

2. He needs Gabby and Albrighton back, to give us a bit more going forward.

3. He needs to get in a LB asap.

4. He needs to sort out CM, and probably buy an experienced midfielder.

5. And most important, he needs to get them playing as a unit, front to back. The problems were all over, no understanding at the back, no closing down in midfield, no fluency in attack.

Quite a lot of work to do, and a bit of money to be spent.

Like this a lot.

I think that Lambert is the ideal person to get the best out of both Gabby AND Albrighton, especially Marc as I believe a lot of his lack of form last season had much to do with the ginger word removed.

So what happened on Saturday? We have this new style of football being played in which we keep the ball. Seen the stats for the Everton game and we had 35% or similar.

Lambert didn't play this way at Norwich so why here when its obvious our players are not good enough to play thus way.

So what happened on Saturday? We have this new style of football being played in which we keep the ball. Seen the stats for the Everton game and we had 35% or similar.

Lambert didn't play this way at Norwich so why here when its obvious our players are not good enough to play thus way.

Lambert should have saved his time, Houllier could have told him the current crop are not good enough to play possession football.

From a Villan in Swansea,saw them dismantle West Ham yesterday in men v boys contest.They are better than last season,will replace Sinclair with Spanish international Pablo Hernandez this week and still have something like £20M spare to spend if Laudrup wishes.If we don't get our act somewhere near together by 15th Sept expect the worst.

I think we have enough technical ability to play possession football, I really don't think that's the problem. If I were Lambert, this week, (tactically), I'd concentrate on defending, from the front to the back. Pressing in midfield and up front, discipline at he back.

Every season we go through a patch where we play badly and lose a few games in a row. If this run comes during mid-season then it disguises any issues that may be in the team. It is conceivable that this run is coming at the beginning of the season.

Amo, yes January will a much better point in time to start making a judgement on the team.

I disagree. Our poor runs in the last 2 seasons have come when we have had a glut of injuries - and have been forced to play the academy players.

This season the squad is so threadbare that the kids are now starting by default. Sadly the results are the same. Whenever we pack the team with academy products we loose matches.

We need to be fielding a team of season professionals - if we don't IMO we will be relegated.

Every team has poor spells during the season whether you are Man Utd or Aston Villa.

After Friday, if we haven't signed the seasoned professionals that you write about, you should put some money on us going down... you'll get incredibly good odds - much better than odds on which is what you believe is reality.

Oh come on - we went 14 without a win last season - Manu might have lost one and drawn a couple. There really is no comparison.

I don't really understand you comments about the relegation odds either - We are are 5th favourites @ 12/5 - not incredibly long odds are they ?

You could argue, getting the crap results out of the way now is the best time to do it. We could have ground out 2 draws for example, and the board would have thought all is ok.

This way we will at least know Lerners intentions come midnight on Friday.

The world doesn't work like that, there is no law of averages in football. I agree with the rest of what you said though.

Just reacting to the posts about how Lambert is only getting to see the players competitively now and blaming defeats on our poor squad / lack of spending, we are being way way more tolerant of Paul Lambert than we were of Alex McLeish. Judging on the lack of any coherent tactics or definite squad selection in the first couple of games I'm wondering were we correct in getting rid of McLeish? How long do we give Lambert to sort it out? I can't see us getting anything out of Newcastle and Swansea are in much better form than us so things could look very bad for us quite soon.

Just reacting to the posts about how Lambert is only getting to see the players competitively now and blaming defeats on our poor squad / lack of spending, we are being way way more tolerant of Paul Lambert than we were of Alex McLeish. Judging on the lack of any coherent tactics or definite squad selection in the first couple of games I'm wondering were we correct in getting rid of McLeish? How long do we give Lambert to sort it out? I can't see us getting anything out of Newcastle and Swansea are in much better form than us so things could look very bad for us quite soon.

Ask yourself best case scenario\long term where was Mcleish taking us ? - Dour football, lots of 0-0's - football not worth paying for

Lambert - best case scenario top 6 - attractive football - the odd walloping yes

Even if we get relegated this season - I don't see anyone better than Lambert taking over. I won't judge him for seasons

Ask yourself best case scenario\long term where was Mcleish taking us ? - Dour football, lots of 0-0's - football not worth paying for

Lambert - best case scenario top 6 - attractive football - the odd walloping yes

Even if we get relegated this season - I don't see anyone better than Lambert taking over. I won't judge him for seasons

I take your point about the style of play, but I can't really see us getting anywhere near top 6 no matter who the manager is. We are nowhere near Man City /United, Chelsea, Newcastle, Arsenal, Spurs, Pool, Everton. Sunderland are spending the cash too, so I think the highest we can hope for at all is 10th, in that midtable rut against the likes of Fulham, Stoke. All that positivity pre-season about Lambert rejuvinating the club was mainly marketing to get us poor fans to buy season tickets. Can Lambert really turn our fortunes about and get us into Europe?

I take your point about the style of play, but I can't really see us getting anywhere near top 6 no matter who the manager is. We are nowhere near Man City /United, Chelsea, Newcastle, Arsenal, Spurs, Pool, Everton. Sunderland are spending the cash too, so I think the highest we can hope for at all is 10th, in that midtable rut against the likes of Fulham, Stoke. All that positivity pre-season about Lambert rejuvinating the club was mainly marketing to get us poor fans to buy season tickets. Can Lambert really turn our fortunes about and get us into Europe?

Fulham and Stoke are streets ahead of us

I'm giving Lambert 2 seasons, minimum. He needs this transfer window, January transfer Window and next Summers transfer window to really get the squad he wants. After then we will start to see the results we want to see!

You're asking whether we were correct in getting rid of McLeish? Are you honestly being serious? Ok, I can understand why some might be asking whether we were correct in bringing in Lambert (although I disagree with that view), but to question whether it was correct to get rid of McLeish is absolute madness. It can't be disputed. He had to go.

Anyway, the reason why Lambert is getting more time is because off the field he's been really promising. He's improving our scouting network, has made some good signings, has been trying to ship out the bad apples and probably most importantly of all instilling the team with a proper footballing philosophy. The latter will take time though unfortunately. The thing with McLeish is even when we got results we were poor to watch and generally weren't convincing. There was no potential with him. At best we would've been lower mid-table plodders season upon season while playing a distinctly unattractive and negative brand of football. Lambert has bags more potential and if he has a chance to build his own squad and make his mark on the club, he'll do far better than McLeish could ever dream of.

Every season we go through a patch where we play badly and lose a few games in a row. If this run comes during mid-season then it disguises any issues that may be in the team. It is conceivable that this run is coming at the beginning of the season.

Amo, yes January will a much better point in time to start making a judgement on the team.

I disagree. Our poor runs in the last 2 seasons have come when we have had a glut of injuries - and have been forced to play the academy players.

This season the squad is so threadbare that the kids are now starting by default. Sadly the results are the same. Whenever we pack the team with academy products we loose matches.

We need to be fielding a team of season professionals - if we don't IMO we will be relegated.

Every team has poor spells during the season whether you are Man Utd or Aston Villa.

After Friday, if we haven't signed the seasoned professionals that you write about, you should put some money on us going down... you'll get incredibly good odds - much better than odds on which is what you believe is reality.

Oh come on - we went 14 without a win last season - Manu might have lost one and drawn a couple. There really is no comparison.

I don't really understand you comments about the relegation odds either - We are are 5th favourites @ 12/5 - not incredibly long odds are they ?

We have lost 2 out of 2 this season. We went on worse runs last season. The team is in transition so lets try and keep things in perspective.

Regarding the odds, you said that it is likely we will get relegated without bringing in some seasoned professionals. Likely means there is a greater chance of us getting relegated than not getting relegated. Odds of 12/5 tells us that there is more chance of us staying up than getting relegated.

As such, my suggestion was if you feel that strongly about us getting relegated, and sincerely believe it is "likely" to happen then you are getting excellent value and should put money on it. Or the alternative is you don't think it is "likely" to happen and we are all overreacting to 2 games?

We have lost 2 out of 2 this season. We went on worse runs last season. The team is in transition so lets try and keep things in perspective.

Regarding the odds, you said that it is likely we will get relegated without bringing in some seasoned professionals. Likely means there is a greater chance of us getting relegated than not getting relegated. Odds of 12/5 tells us that there is more chance of us staying up than getting relegated.

As such, my suggestion was if you feel that strongly about us getting relegated, and sincerely believe it is "likely" to happen then you are getting excellent value and should put money on it. Or the alternative is you don't think it is "likely" to happen and we are all overreacting to 2 games?

No club in any division will ever be odds on to get relegated with 2 games gone.

Your statement was that you would get very good odds on us being relegated. We are a little over 2-1 - with only 4 clubs shorter odds than us. - its up to you as to whether 2-1 constitutes very long odds.