Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Got the selection wrong today. Not sure it would have made a massive difference but Holman, Ireland/Weimann and Lichaj should have started for me.

Don't get the persistence with Delfouneso. He was awful today, and frankly just didn't look bothered.

Unfortunately, when players are simply not good enough, they have a habit of not looking bothered.

When players are good enough its amazing where they get their enthusiasm from.

Confidence is an essential ingredient in football ..... its funny how the best players lose it less than the not so good.

most of our current first team just ain't good enough, no other way to put it.

I agree with everything you say regarding the players not being good enough.

However it is unacceptable to be standing in the centre circle not even wanting the ball. That applies to both strikers for a lot of the time in the first half.

• Like 1

He did get the squad wrong today that is true, but don't you remember the Norwich fans told us this? They told us he was constantly changing the first 11 week in week out, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't...

Today Given proved to us that he has had it. He made what, one decent save in the 2nd half? He proved to us that he has not recovered from the horrendous Euro's he had with that shocker of a second goal. I didn't see him concede one like that all last season.

My squad for the next game would be:

Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Baker, Lichaj, KEA, Delph, Ireland, Holman, Bent, Weimann

Nzogbia doesn't deserve to start, neither does Bannan, neither does Fonz.

I will however stand by Lambert no matter what. My fingers are crossed as to future signings, as we need 3/4 signings before the end of this window, so as to not fall so far behind before January that there is no point of return.

• Like 1

Have to agree that it seems like Lambert is still trying out different players in different positions. Our selections have the air of preseason about them, maybe after 3 games, he'll go "Enough **** around" and pick a solid side and get the ball forward.

Or... he'll stick with it and in 2 years time we'll look back at a very important learning period for the players as well as the fans.

I daren't think of the other alternatives.

Lambert was my first choice, so I was delighted we got him (I felt he was beyond us/not stupid enough to take it, time will tell on that front...). But I always felt that that delight was tempered by the fact that, in an ideal world I'd have liked to seen Lambert having had a second season of Prem football, as for me there were some questions behind all the promise and success thus far he had. The little doubts haven't gone away yet.

Saying that I still think he's a good manager, and I think he's still not really sure what's what with this Villa side. I also am bloody certain that any manager would have considerable trouble with the state of the club right now - it's all shot to shit. The playing squad would trouble any manager.

so if we create 0 chances and lose games under Lambert it's the players fault. But last season it was the all the managers fault. I'm confused. Don't get me wrong I'm still 100% behind Lambert. But I am starting to think we were a little harsh on Mcleish.

It's going to be a very long and hard season.

However, the optimism gauge from 8 days ago to today is staggering even by Villa's standards. We have lost two games in a row. One of those games we played okay, not brilliant but okay and the other we put an inexperienced team out against a team that battered Man Utd.

There are times when we should be worried but **** me it really isn't now! It's two games!

TWO GAMES! Keep your knickers on.

Lambert was my first choice, so I was delighted we got him (I felt he was beyond us/not stupid enough to take it, time will tell on that front...). But I always felt that that delight was tempered by the fact that, in an ideal world I'd have liked to seen Lambert having had a second season of Prem football, as for me there were some questions behind all the promise and success thus far he had. The little doubts haven't gone away yet.

Saying that I still think he's a good manager, and I think he's still not really sure what's what with this Villa side. I also am bloody certain that any manager would have considerable trouble with the state of the club right now - it's all shot to shit. The playing squad would trouble any manager.

I think you are bang on Chindie.... " This squad would trouble any manager"

However, the optimism gauge from 8 days ago to today is staggering even by Villa's standards. We have lost two games in a row. One of those games we played okay, not brilliant but okay and the other we put an inexperienced team out against a team that battered Man Utd.

There are times when we should be worried but **** me it really isn't now! It's two games!

It's not Two games it's something like 7 points in 2012. I'm not gonna buy this whole we have a top manager we'll be fine shit cuz we still have the same players. Even Mcleish managed a promotion a top 10 finish and a carling cup so even though fans would like to believe he is the worst manager around he clearly isn't. We do have reason to be losing our knckers!

Are you kidding?

It's been two games this season but it's exactly the same as the last one and the same issues that saw us nearly relegated last year have not been addressed.

It's not Two games it's something like 7 points in 2012. I'm not gonna buy this whole we have a top manager we'll be fine shit cuz we still have the same players. Even Mcleish managed a promotion a top 10 finish and a carling cup so even though fans would like to believe he is the worst manager around he clearly isn't. We do have reason to be losing our knckers!

It really is 2 games.

Stay calm and carry on.

McLeish is an absolutely shit manager, make no mistake about that.

However, our squad clearly lacks quality and Lambert is trying to implement a new style, so we won't do that well this season. We need stability.

McLeish is an absolutely shit manager, make no mistake about that.

However, our squad clearly lacks quality and Lambert is trying to implement a new style, so we won't do that well this season. We need stability.

Still think finishing 6th is just as likely as us going down?

Are you kidding?

It's been two games this season but it's exactly the same as the last one and the same issues that saw us nearly relegated last year have not been addressed.

Am I kidding? About what? The fact that VT was starting threads about possible CL qualification last week and today it would appear we are 95% certain to get relegated? No, I'm not kidding. These are facts for all to read about on VT.

My point being we are not going to qualify for the CL and we have less than a 95% of getting relegated.

My post was not disagreeing about the fact we were very poor today or that we aren't going to get an easy ride this season... it was simply stating that perhaps we are a bunch of over reacting kids.

PL is not the saviour and we are unlikely to get relegated.

Perspective. This is all.

Lambert has some recent hint of relative success on limited resources.

Mcleish has 2 relegation's and escape by a whisker in 4 prem seasons. I am more happy with what lambert is trying to do - the £8m he has spent - has already equaled the goal haul of £10m Nzogbia - and showed more besides.

Theres a good chance we will go down this season - but at least there is hope with Lambert...for gods sake we had 3 shots on target today !!!

And a top 10 finish and a carling cup. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to defend Mcleish I'm just saying that keeping us up last season is starting to look like a bloody achievement which is messed up in itself!

Where have all the posts about been given time gone?

He is allowed time but only if we're not losing, oh okay :lol:

Makes me laugh when people say look at Swansea look at Everton, both teams have had years of building to where they are.

Lambert has had 5 mins!

We need players that is true, but we also need time for Lambert to get his message across.

And a top 10 finish and a carling cup. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to defend Mcleish I'm just saying that keeping us up last season is starting to look like a bloody achievement which is messed up in itself!

Absolute nonsense. Massive overreaction.

Maybe - but was Mcleish ever taking us to the promised land ? - No.

Lambert just might be - even if we have to go down first