Paul Lambert

Pilchard

so if we create 0 chances and lose games under Lambert it's the players fault. But last season it was the all the managers fault. I'm confused. Don't get me wrong I'm still 100% behind Lambert. But I am starting to think we were a little harsh on Mcleish.

Almost completely agree with you, its still horrific to watch for now but for different reasons. So far Lambert can't seem to get across to the players the type of style he wants to play. Mcleish set our team up to try and not lose, which is why I won't forgive him for punishing my eyes every week.

I've been so impressed by Lambert in pre-season with his interviews as well as the signings. The start of the season comes and I'm not impressed by the narrow tactics in both games. I don't agree with dropping Ireland, who makes more penetrating passes than anyone else and who KEA himself said was our most skillful player.

The most disappointing thing which appears unanimous, is Herd at right mid. Mcleish did this vs West Brom last year and I slated him, thinking I'd never see this again under another manager. Its unacceptable and we can't just say its because of the lack of quality in the squad, because there's at least Holman and Ireland on the bench. I don't want to slate the manager as I agree he needs time, but the first signs are not reassuring me so far.

Lots of training work to do, Lambert needs to earn his cash these coming weeks as the players clearly don't know what they're supposed to be doing. They're not good players, a lot of them, but simple things like not closing down in midfield have to be ironed out.

So Mantis are you finally accepting we are relegation candidates or are you still in denial?
Too early to say. Let's wait and see where we are in a month or so.

Thank you Mantis for bringing a bit of sense to this thread. You are right it is far too early to tell.

The odds of Villa getting relegated before today was 3.5 (bookmaker average).

The odds of Villa getting relegated after today is 3.5 (bookmaker average).

The optimism gauge from Villa before today was a probably top 10 finish.

The optimism gauge from Villa after today is a likely relegation.

Put this into a scientific formula and it will self destruct because it doesn't add up.

Emotions are getting in the way of many supporters thinking.

Stay calm and carry on.

Its the progress we need to monitor.

Of course Lambert needs "time", but that "time" needs to be managed properly and positive actions need to be carried out in that "time"

New players need to be signed and those new players need to be effective.

"Time" without effective action is pointless, you can wait forever.

We will monitor the progress and only then will we know if we are on the right lines.

It was never going to be an instant fix.

We're trying to play a more passing style, which we haven't done for a long time, and the players confidence is still fragile. The team changed visibly after the early goal and again, for the better, after we scored.

Tuesdays game is very important for us as it's a good chance to finally break the run of games without a win which would do the squads confidence a world of good.

It's a work in progress and I'm sure Paul Lambert is learning more about the abilities and limitations of the players with every game. He'll know whats required and I'm sure he'll make sure issues are addressed.

It was never going to be an instant fix.

We're trying to play a more passing style, which we haven't done for a long time, and the players confidence is still fragile. The team changed visibly after the early goal and again, for the better, after we scored.

Tuesdays game is very important for us as it's a good chance to finally break the run of games without a win which would do the squads confidence a world of good.

It's a work in progress and I'm sure Paul Lambert is learning more about the abilities and limitations of the players with every game. He'll know whats required and I'm sure he'll make sure issues are addressed.

Actually I think you will find that it is not too long ago that we were trying to play 'a more passing style'. Gerard Houllier instigated it in 2010.

I'm sure he knows he got the selection wrong but in his defence I'm sure he was hoping to see what players like Fonz offered before the transfer window closes. I hope he has no doubts now we need some serious quality before the end of the month.

There is a BIG difference in knowing what he needs and knowing what the budget will allow though! Us and Lambert can need and want all we like but if Lerner isn't supplying the funds there is absolutely **** all us or Lambert can do about it. Hopefully, in this "meeting" that is meant to be taking place, Lambert can persuade Lerner to spend. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

And a top 10 finish and a carling cup. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to defend Mcleish I'm just saying that keeping us up last season is starting to look like a bloody achievement which is messed up in itself!

Absolute nonsense. Massive overreaction.

Why is it? If you honesty believe any manager can turn this group of players in to a good team then you're deluded mate. I'm not saying we are a dead cert to go down but I do believe it will be an achievement to keep this squad up without any additions. If there are signings to come this week and Jan then things could change.

And a top 10 finish and a carling cup. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to defend Mcleish I'm just saying that keeping us up last season is starting to look like a bloody achievement which is messed up in itself!

Absolute nonsense. Massive overreaction.

Why is it? If you honesty believe any manager can turn this group of players in to a good team then you're deluded mate. I'm not saying we are a dead cert to go down but I do believe it will be an achievement to keep this squad up without any additions. If there are signings to come this week and Jan then things could change.

Signings or no signings to compare last season as an achievement compared to this season after two games is nothing but an absolute over-reaction based on emotions and not facts.

I said its starting to look like an achievement. Until things change it will continue to do so.

Which is my point. You, and many others, are reacting to two bad results and coming to a conclusion that we are likely to get relegated.

The same people two weeks ago were talking about top 10 finishes and Europa League (with one guy saying we could push for CL).

In times like these I think keeping perspective is fundamental.

Even west ham who were battered yesterday created a hatful of chances.

I saw the West Ham highlights again. Chances wise we were very fortunate to only lose 1-0.

A friend of mine who doesn't support villa but likes them to do well said he felt Villa's first 11 on paper looked the worst in the league. Although that's over the top the scary thing is its probably not far off.