Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Here is something that has not been mentioned yet.

What sort of message are we sending out to our opponents ?

If you are a manager of one of the top teams, you tell your players. We have Aston Villa next,they have been hammered by Chelsea,Spurs and even Bradford so I expect nothing less than a 4-0 win.

If you are the manager of a middle of the table team.Right we have Aston Villa this saturday.They were beaten soundly by teams like Wigan and they cant even beat QPR or Reading, so I am expecting a win.

And finally if you are the manager of a team in the relegation danger zone, you say.We have Aston Villa on saturday.Right lads this is our big chance to pick up some points, after all they could not beat Bradford over 2 legs, only just scraped in over Ipswich and were not good enough to beat any of the teams around them, so I am expecting an easy 3 points this weekend.

So we are on the back foot right from the start,because teams arrive here expecting a win and they go all out to get one while we wonder what hit us, week after week after week.

• Like 1

The list of replacements makes for grim reading:-

Adkins (only really what we have)

RDM (Dismissed from WBA - couldn't organise the defence)

Curbishley (out the game a long time now)

Mcallister (his short stint in charge - was probably our best run of results in recent years)

Gregory (a gamble, can he replicate what he did all those years ago ? - but has never done since)

The one person i would like to see involved in our club in some capacity is Graham Taylor - he has the organastional skills to carry this club in a certain direction - would love to see him on the board.

With the type of players we got and the fact that we'll by all probability will be playing Championship football next season it might be wise, but do our manager need to be Brittish?

Edit: Di Matteo is of course not brittish but the question stands

Edited by sne

Im not going to defend him to the hilt - but the critiscm of his post match comments intreges me - we have suffered a woeful result against a div 4 side - we are all hurting pretty bad - we all want the manager to come out and say something to make us feel better - but no manager can do that. When we loose, were are down - but what are people expectinfg of him at the press conference ?

Sure he should be scouting players, working on defending etc - but his doesn't have a magic happy to make us feel ok again ...no manager does.

Here is something that has not been mentioned yet.

What sort of message are we sending out to our opponents ?

If you are a manager of one of the top teams, you tell your players. We have Aston Villa next,they have been hammered by Chelsea,Spurs and even Bradford so I expect nothing less than a 4-0 win.

If you are the manager of a middle of the table team.Right we have Aston Villa this saturday.They were beaten soundly by teams like Wigan and they cant even beat QPR or Reading, so I am expecting a win.

And finally if you are the manager of a team in the relegation danger zone, you say.We have Aston Villa on saturday.Right lads this is our big chance to pick up some points, after all they could not beat Bradford over 2 legs, only just scraped in over Ipswich and were not good enough to beat any of the teams around them, so I am expecting an easy 3 points this weekend.

So we are on the back foot right from the start,because teams arrive here expecting a win and they go all out to get one while we wonder what hit us, week after week after week.

I was thinking similar last night. Apparently pardew was at the game - I wonder what his notebook said ? "get as many corners as you can lads' ........by any chance.

This is by far the most idiotic post I have read on this site. Firstly.....and I quote....."When Lambert played he was a mediocre grifter in midfield, he doesn't really know how to relate to today's players and he probably tries to run the show like the managers in the 80's did." This will be the same guy who won the European Cup with Borussia Dortmund. This will be the same guy who knocked back a move to Juventus. This will be the same guy who won countless honours at Celtic and helped them reach the Uefa Cup Final (he was actually rated higher than Stan at Parkhead!).

Now lets move on to your other points. The owner hasn't backed him as much as he should have. People say he has been givemn more than £20m but that hasn't been the case. And he has to spread that over eight players because the squad was so thin. And the guys that have been recruited are all earning much much less than the existing players (Ireland who is rank rotten earns more than three times what Benteke does which gives you an indication of what was available to offer new players money wise - which had a direct impact on who he could and couldn't sign).

Every manager will have hit and miss signings but in Benteke and Westwood I'd suggest Lambert is the firts manager is quite a while to actually sign players who could be sold six months later for a healthy profit - not one of McLeish's signings are worth anything! As for players respecting him - I know that they are. Vlaar was that determined to try and help him out he went straight from the gym to being involved in a training match in a bid to help Lambert out.

Yes, there are a lot of bad eggs in there who maybe aren't all for the manager but they are the ones who need to be chased - the likes or Ireland and Nzognia. They will be eventually. Villa are a mess and until the wages are brought down to a more manageable level then the signings everyone wants and expects won't be arriving.

Last night was shocking. First half was good, had a great tempo and it really should have ended more than 1-0. After the break, certain players got sloppy and it was once again another shocking goal to lose but you can work on defending corners every day in training but if your centre-half doesn't follow the run of the player he is marking then there is nothing any manager in the world can do about that. Then, why things got tough and you needed certain players to stand up and be counted - they didn't. Ireland hid. So did Nzogbia. Bent didn't exactly burst a gut to get involved. Like everyone else, yes, I wondered why there wans't any width but the Wieman goal came from going back to front and maybe that is what they thought was best. It wasn't. Clearly.

But look around the bottom half of the table. Pardew has just signed two new players and look at the time and money he had had. Martinez has been at Wigan for a few years and spent a lot of money yet they are worse off than Villa right now. And look at the amount of teams who aren't a million miles away - clubs like Norwich (who are trying to spend £5m on a new striker!) The owner hasn't invested because previous managers have **** him and the club over - not Lambert.

I totally understand the anger however try and look at the bigger picture. Look at the league table - I still think it is possible to stay up. I do think Lambert will get more and more out of this team the longer he works with them and the more experience he has in the team (Vlaar and Dunne together will prove much better).

If you don't agree with my points then fine. Everyone has an opinion. But don't describe him as a mediocre grifter in midfield when he was better than anyone who has played for Villa in recent times and far better than anyone he shares a training pitch with these days!

Spot on, couldnt have said it better myself. One of the world class DM's of his day. Ask any Dortmund fan what they think not to mention Celtic.

The biggest problem we have had is expectation.

We expected PL to be an improvement on AMc.

He isn't

We expected him to buy players to turn things around.

He didn't

He expected the League 1/2 players he bought to work with his team plan

Nearly did

We expected to be challenging further up the table

We aren't

We expected to beat Bradford City easily

We didn't

We expected that RL might put his hand in his pocket to save his"beloved" Villa

How wrong we were

We expect to be in the Premier League next season

At this moment in time, expect the unexpected :rolleyes::ph34r:

With the type of players we got and the fact that we'll by all probability will be playing Championship football next season it might be wise, but do our manager need to be Brittish?

Edit: Di Matteo is of course not brittish but the question stands

I am all ears ? - my knowledge of foreign managers is limited - but fire away

Eh ?? they gave 100%?

Ireland certainly didnt

Gabby certainly didnt

Bannan certainly didnt

I thought that that was the most motivated I've seen Ireland TBH

I didn't think Gabby or Bannan lacked application, just ability

Nobody's asking them to win a CL medal, but asking them to best an out-of-form team from 3 leagues below us over two games is far from an unreasonable request.

No you mis-understand - the previous post claimed Lambert was just a "mediocre grifter"

I am all ears ? - my knowledge of foreign managers is limited - but fire away

Wish i could offer up names, but since no one knows what money are availiable or what Lerners ambitions are it's impossible to do so. It's just guesswork.

I would thou like a manager from outside the UK who have knowledge from other leagues and who is a name there. Other then money this is then only way to attract foreign players me thinks.

If you wan't a name just for the sake of it i'd say Felix Magath, mostly for the comedy factor since he is bat shit insane and just might scare our players with his military discipline

The biggest problem we have had is expectation.

We expected PL to be an improvement on AMc.

He isn't

We expected him to buy players to turn things around.

He didn't

He expected the League 1/2 players he bought to work with his team plan

Nearly did

We expected to be challenging further up the table

We aren't

We expected to beat Bradford City easily

We didn't

We expected that RL might put his hand in his pocket to save his"beloved" Villa

How wrong we were

We expect to be in the Premier League next season

At this moment in time, expect the unexpected :rolleyes::ph34r:

Good post.

This is by far the most idiotic post I have read on this site. Firstly.....and I quote....."When Lambert played he was a mediocre grifter in midfield, he doesn't really know how to relate to today's players and he probably tries to run the show like the managers in the 80's did." This will be the same guy who won the European Cup with Borussia Dortmund. This will be the same guy who knocked back a move to Juventus. This will be the same guy who won countless honours at Celtic and helped them reach the Uefa Cup Final (he was actually rated higher than Stan at Parkhead!).

Now lets move on to your other points. The owner hasn't backed him as much as he should have. People say he has been givemn more than £20m but that hasn't been the case. And he has to spread that over eight players because the squad was so thin. And the guys that have been recruited are all earning much much less than the existing players (Ireland who is rank rotten earns more than three times what Benteke does which gives you an indication of what was available to offer new players money wise - which had a direct impact on who he could and couldn't sign).

Every manager will have hit and miss signings but in Benteke and Westwood I'd suggest Lambert is the firts manager is quite a while to actually sign players who could be sold six months later for a healthy profit - not one of McLeish's signings are worth anything! As for players respecting him - I know that they are. Vlaar was that determined to try and help him out he went straight from the gym to being involved in a training match in a bid to help Lambert out.

Yes, there are a lot of bad eggs in there who maybe aren't all for the manager but they are the ones who need to be chased - the likes or Ireland and Nzognia. They will be eventually. Villa are a mess and until the wages are brought down to a more manageable level then the signings everyone wants and expects won't be arriving.

Last night was shocking. First half was good, had a great tempo and it really should have ended more than 1-0. After the break, certain players got sloppy and it was once again another shocking goal to lose but you can work on defending corners every day in training but if your centre-half doesn't follow the run of the player he is marking then there is nothing any manager in the world can do about that. Then, why things got tough and you needed certain players to stand up and be counted - they didn't. Ireland hid. So did Nzogbia. Bent didn't exactly burst a gut to get involved. Like everyone else, yes, I wondered why there wans't any width but the Wieman goal came from going back to front and maybe that is what they thought was best. It wasn't. Clearly.

But look around the bottom half of the table. Pardew has just signed two new players and look at the time and money he had had. Martinez has been at Wigan for a few years and spent a lot of money yet they are worse off than Villa right now. And look at the amount of teams who aren't a million miles away - clubs like Norwich (who are trying to spend £5m on a new striker!) The owner hasn't invested because previous managers have **** him and the club over - not Lambert.

I totally understand the anger however try and look at the bigger picture. Look at the league table - I still think it is possible to stay up. I do think Lambert will get more and more out of this team the longer he works with them and the more experience he has in the team (Vlaar and Dunne together will prove much better).

If you don't agree with my points then fine. Everyone has an opinion. But don't describe him as a mediocre grifter in midfield when he was better than anyone who has played for Villa in recent times and far better than anyone he shares a training pitch with these days!

There are some very valid points in here, some i agree with and others i don't. I'm very much in the Lambert camp as he's not had enough time or resources to do the job properly although i do think tactically he has to improve. May be his tactical shortcomings are more down to the players available to him though.

Changing the manager now won't do any good. The team, the club and especially the fans need a lift now and the only way to do so is to bring in a few new faces that will improve the team. It's down to Lerner now to support his manager becuase the silence from the owner is deafening at present.

The way I see it, we're down if this clown stays in charge, or we're down if he's sacked, so either way he needs to go.

The benefits of him going now would be having a new manager to assess what dross we've got in the squad, and know what was needed in order to hit the ground running next season in the championship.

Should we have got 'Arry? When he was available.

Not a chance, at least if we go down we might have a chance of staying solvent. If he was at the helm we would be another

Portsmouth - Nearly out of business

Southampton - Nearly went out of business

QPR - Could put them out of business