Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I loved his quote about the transfer policy going forward. Waiting for the podcast so I can accurately quote him over in the transfer thread. I'm thrilled as I think this is the best policy to have.

Would like to hear this, where can the podcast be found?

The audio is up on iTunes here.

You need to be a Sky subscriber to get the video from their site I think. They show free edited down clips eventually too I believe.

I loved his quote about the transfer policy going forward. Waiting for the podcast so I can accurately quote him over in the transfer thread. I'm thrilled as I think this is the best policy to have.

Would like to hear this, where can the podcast be found?

The audio is up on iTunes here.

You need to be a Sky subscriber to get the video from their site I think. They show free edited down clips eventually too I believe.

Many thanks

Listening to the podcast, Lambert just seems like an awesome guy. He's very humble, honest, seems kinda quiet, and comes across as a guy who got where he did by always working hard. He also has unwavering faith in his beliefs and is very committed. He's gonna have a fantastic career as a manager, whether with Villa or another club. To me he's already one of the best in England, but he'll definitely become even better. Pure class

Edited by Rovers13

Surely the transfer policy can only be classed as good if it takes us somewhere.

If we're consistently finishing around midtable then surely it's nothing special.

I like the idea of getting players with the right attitude and most of his signings looked very good by the end of the season but the proof is where the club finishes and the progress we make.

If this policy sees us become a top 6 club again in a few years then it should be praised but if it sees us struggling to survive and finishing in the bottom half then I'm not sure what all the fuss will be about.

Hopefully it will pay off and hopefully it will be proved to be the right approach but I'm not sure it's certain to work. I still think you need the right balance in the squad.

Surely the transfer policy can only be classed as good if it takes us somewhere.

If we're consistently finishing around midtable then surely it's nothing special.

I like the idea of getting players with the right attitude and most of his signings looked very good by the end of the season but the proof is where the club finishes and the progress we make.

If this policy sees us become a top 6 club again in a few years then it should be praised but if it sees us struggling to survive and finishing in the bottom half then I'm not sure what all the fuss will be about.

Hopefully it will pay off and hopefully it will be proved to be the right approach but I'm not sure it's certain to work. I still think you need the right balance in the squad.

It will be interesting - and I'm hoping it works too. However, that would require some loyalty from our better players, as changing squads often while selling our better players is no incentive for any player to stay long term and build something.

Still, it's better than our previous patterns of "buy expensive experienced" players and end up no better than lower table.

If we sell Benteke he may as well walk who's next out the door Weimann?

In fact i wouldn't be angry with the guy if he did

Lets face it he keeps going on about project Aston Villa but if we keep selling our best players all the time what's the point?

Edited by AshVilla

Listening to the podcast, Lambert just seems like an awesome guy. He's very humble, honest, seems kinda quiet, and comes across as a guy who got where he did by always working hard. He also has unwavering faith in his beliefs and is very committed. He's gonna have a fantastic career as a manager, whether with Villa or another club. To me he's already one of the best in England, but he'll definitely become even better. Pure class

There is no doubt that anyone can appear to be decent while being interviewed but i tend to judge a manager on how the team performs.

Based on his performance with our team so far it's ridiculous to even suggest 'he's already one of the best in England.' We have just secured our safety with one game to go ffs. 

I don't know how you can say this after one pretty disappointing season. He acheived the bare minimum and he was lucky to keep his job on several occasions. I'd like to see real progress before I make such a prediction. We are still a pretty easy team to beat.

Lets face it he keeps going on about project Aston Villa but if we keep selling our best players all the time what's the point?

as i told you in other thread. when you mocked that we tried do a Dortmund, well they have sold their best player each of last 2 seasons and are selling 2 more this season. not a problem for them

I remember after the Liverpool game Geoff Shreeves was interviewing Lambert and he asked something along the lines of isn't it great to have such good young talent, not in those exact words, but Lambert's response was that the media had been saying all along that they were too inexperienced and couldn't cut it and they can't just start praising them after one game after being on their backs so long.

read the article on the Guardian on his time in Germany. he really is a different character than similar British players in that he took a gamble and went to Germany, learned the language and fitted in really well.

as i told you in other thread. when you mocked that we tried do a Dortmund, well they have sold their best player each of last 2 seasons and are selling 2 more this season. not a problem for them

But they are an established champions league side were a club which staves off relegation every season

If we keep selling our best players all the time its going to send out the wrong signals completely people will just join us and use us as a stepping stone.

Perhaps if these players were helping us get somewhere in the process i wouldn't mind but we always seem to go back to square one if Benteke leaves and Weimann follows suit which he might because of the domino effect then we will be

Lets just hope Lambert is as canny as people say he is and is able to unearth a player of the calibre of Benteke every season we should be ok then i guess

they werent an established CHampions League team when they sold Sahin or Kagawa as last season was their 1st in about 8 years.

f*** thye arent even established champions league side now

• Like 1

Just realised something after that Footballers' Football show, listening to Lambert talking about Dortmund.

That 5-3-2 mess he kept trying is more or less the formation he played over there. With better centre halves and a left back and a better midfield three, it could just work.

Just 2/3 of the team to work on then :mrgreen:

Edited by Tomaszk