Paul Lambert

Pilchard

A villa manager who doesn't treat the fans with disdain.

Progress

Alex McLeish never had a bad word to say about Villa or the fans and still doesnt. Obviously I prefer Lambert as a manager but McLeish was always respectful to us and the club.

Unless you meant Houllier in which case, yeah you have a point :)

Disagree. Some of McLeish's post match comments were a disgrace. He treated this club like a **** joke.
Agree Mantis, whilst he didn't put the fans down he constantly put the club down

Agreed. And if he hasn't slagged off the club since it's because no-one in the media is remotely interested in what the discredited, charmless oaf has to say

We may as well close this thread as nobody seems to want to debate Lambert maturely. For what it's worth Lambert admitted he'd made mistake this season. Can't remember where I read it but it was in one of the papers before Wigan.

He must do something about the defence.

It must have something to do with the coaching as Norwich were utterly useless last season to and conceeded 66 goals. I find it odd that a man who played in germany and did coaching badges in germany seems to be incaple of getting a team organised when they are without the ball. Its something that the germans are renowned for. Or do our players just not get? We as a team end up in total disarray every single game at some point. We pose quite a big threat going forward, we are almost the complete opposite of last season

• Like 1

He must do something about the defence.

It must have something to do with the coaching as Norwich were utterly useless last season to and conceeded 66 goals. I find it odd that a man who played in germany and did coaching badges in germany seems to be incaple of getting a team organised when they are without the ball. Its something that the germans are renowned for. Or do our players just not get? We as a team end up in total disarray every single game at some point. We pose quite a big threat going forward, we are almost the complete opposite of last season

I actually think we're alright without the ball. We work hard and press well. What's cost us more than anything is individual errors, either because of lack of quality or lack of experience. We do leave ourselves a bit exposed sometimes as well but that's because we actually have a go at teams.

• Like 2

Experience is a bunch of shit.

An old way of thinking.

Some people just can't accept being wrong

Agreed. It's not about how much experience the players have overall but how much experience they have playing together as a team.

If we turn out to be a bit of a force in 2/3 years time, we will look back and consider this season as the start of the transformation... rates of progress can vary from season to season even when the ship is on the right course.

Like a locomotive starting off the pace can be slow in the beginning until the momentum builds.

Generally speaking the first half of the season was " oh dear"  classic relegation material....The second half was typical of inexperience gianing confidence and a bit of a swagger, seemed to see a little bit of improvisation appearing during the Sunderland game that would not have happened in the first half of the season.

We can't be too cocky just yet but the "green shoots" are there.... still to see a bit more resillience when we havn't got the ball to improve the defensive side of our game, but some of the offensive play of late has been encouraging... quite stylish at times.

In terms of FORM we have been towards the upper reaches, so that in it self I guess,can be construed as success.

There is always a view to being cautious when appraising the villa, because we have had so many false dawns.... But Hey! Lambert deserves a bit of credit guys.

Ps my review would be - good way to go, but good progress and a bright future.

Edited by TRO

One place higher and 3 more points, adding to that more attractive football and finally a 19 goal PL striker, would of had 20 if he wasn't suspended for the last game of the season, future looks bright, the future looks claret and blue :)

Good teams have good players that play well together.

Experience means nothing. It's just a pundit talking point used to try and quick fix a problem

I'm not sure I can dismiss experience so easily. It probably applies more to foreign players than anyone else. They need to settle, get used to the league's pace and style and it's day-to-day routine.

To say that means nothing is a little too over simplified, for mine.

Lamberts summer agenda -

Finish clearing out the shit - Ireland Dunne Warnock Hutton

New contracts - Weimann Benteke

Sign a few more young hungry types

Possibly sign 1 more experienced CB

Lamberts summer agenda -

Finish clearing out the shit - Ireland Dunne Warnock Hutton

New contracts - Weimann Benteke

Sign a few more young hungry types

Possibly sign 1 more experienced CB

Warnock already gone

Any good young German CB's available in our price range that remember and respect Lambert from his time in Germany? :)  

He left Germany 16 years ago, doubt many of them centre backs will remember him ;)