Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Bent, Ireland, Gabby, Dunne, Given, Petrov, Warnock, Hutton, N'Zogbia

All of the above probably earn £40k and above.  In some cases quite a bit more.  Only N'Zogbia and Gabby have really played regular football under PL this season (Obv Petrov would've been if things were different).  Shows you how much waste there is in the squad. 

Ha, sorry but QPR's wage bill is huge. Readings, to be fair, isn't crazy.But yes Wigan's is high, very high. They pay Caldwell over £30,000 a week. Same with McCarthy. Pretty much most of their squad will earn that and there are a few on over £40,000. But they don't have people sitting on £60,000 a week like Villa. There are too many of them. So that is why I'm saying right now Lambert is in a position where he can't offer those type of wages to new signings because the guys already there and on much more. Does that not make sense to you?

Again, Wigan's isn't high at all. 40m, which isn't a lot. 30k a week is about right for a starting CB at his level. If we are trying to find Premier League players that will play for us for under 20k a week then we will be going down, that is probably about average for a top Championship team.

Vlaar, KEA, Benteke are all on 25k+

Villa's playing staff wage is over £55m a year. That has to come down. The reason it is so high is players such as Ireland and Nzogbia earn over £60,000-a-week. Bent is on even more than that and Given is on just less than that. So bsically they are taking up two wages each if you look at it that way. Does that make sense?

Not really. Weren't two of those players (Nzogbia and Given) signed after the cost cutting began?

You then have Hutton and Warnock on over £35,000-a-week. So you have two hopeless players there taking up good money that could be used on two guys who can actually operate well in the Premier League.

I keep on seeing this said but that surely requires every signing to be a guaranteed success (or on wages low enough to be 'disregarded' if they aren't deemed useful).

That to me just seems almost impossible to achieve, at least without taking more of a gamble than usual with each and every signing.

And for the record, it is the owner who is saying he can't afford it or won't afford it.

And if he's doing so on the basis that you put forward above (and I'm not sure he is, by the way) then he would appear to be a fool.

Problem for me is Lerner let the wages get to this stupid levels now we are supposed to think he has a clue what he is doing to rectify matters.Bollox he failed time and time again with the Browns , difference is this time unlike the Browns he won't make a profit when he sells.

Maybe I shall try to put this in more simple terms for you.

Villa's playing staff wage is over £55m a year. That has to come down. The reason it is so high is players such as Ireland and Nzogbia earn over £60,000-a-week. Bent is on even more than that and Given is on just less than that. So bsically they are taking up two wages each if you look at it that way. Does that make sense?

You then have Hutton and Warnock on over £35,000-a-week. So you have two hopeless players there taking up good money that could be used on two guys who can actually operate well in the Premier League. There are also a few other players I haven't mentioned.

So, looking at the big picture, until a number of these players are shipped out it means the owner isn't sanctioning the wage bill being increased further.

And, just so you have the full picture, the players signed in the summer earn next to nothing in terms of Premier League wages - some are under £10,000. Benteke isn't on a great amount either.

Now please explain why I am being silly when I say the club can't afford it. And for the record, it is the owner who is saying he can't afford it or won't afford it. Not me!!! But you are branding about the names of players and saying Lambert should have signed them when it is the case that the main reason he couldn't is that he doesn't have the funds available to match wages other clubs are offering!

Someone mentioned Groundhog Day earlier in the thread, I feel like I've read this argument every day for the last few years. If we just clear out the deadwood we will suddenly start buying quality players again, and yet no matter how much shit we clear nothing seems to change. No idea what the plan is at this club, there is no vision, ambition, anything apart from reduce the **** wage bill. Then what?

Im sure it can be found if reading through all of the threads but i can't be bothered so i'll just ask:

As we all can see we are downsizing from a descent PL- side to what i at least hope is a mid table Championship side. I get that we can't keep spending silly money on below average players we in some cases ain't even using. But the first team squad is the most important part of the club (i'd like to think that us fans are as important but that just isn't true in modern football).

Besides the obvious deadwood the first team squad is the last place in a club where you should cut cost. 

I don't wish for people employed by the club to loose their jobs (bar Faulkner and Lambert) but if we are cutting cost like crazy with the playing squad, what is being done about those people sitting behind desks and working for the club in other areas?

I remember reading a while back that a very large portion of the club outlay on wages went to non playing personel. Can't remembert the % but i seem to reall it was a lot.

So my question after this ramble is:

Is anything being done to reduce the club outlay in other areas or is it just players that now ain't worth spending money on?

For example is Michael Henke leaving an indicator that we no longer will be spending money on scouting players abroad regularly?

Again sorry for the long ramble and bad spelling

Edit: And for putting this in the wrong thread...

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Lambert signing plays well - what a manager, proof he will be great.

Lambert signing plays bad - what do you expect? He wasn't backed.

Haha

Weak!! That's your own argument - no one elses

Generally Lamberts signings have been decent Vlaar, Guzan, Westwood, Benteke and Lowton have been our best players

KEA is not a good signing so far. Bennett is not a good signing so far but I think will get there

I think he should be backed further to buy two or three more players and I think not doing so is putting the club in danger

Someone mentioned Groundhog Day earlier in the thread, I feel like I've read this argument every day for the last few years. If we just clear out the deadwood we will suddenly start buying quality players again, and yet no matter how much shit we clear nothing seems to change. No idea what the plan is at this club, there is no vision, ambition, anything apart from reduce the **** wage bill. Then what?

Thank god it's not just me.

It has been repeated over and over again. Will next summer be any better or will we again buy players not good enough for what ever level we find ourselves at?

All I can assume is there is a budget that Lerner has decided he wants us to stick to and we are X amount over it still, just don't know why he would allow McLeish to sign Hutton, Zoggy and Given when he was the one when was first brought in to cut costs.

At least Lambert has made it clear now that were actually expecting to be relegated, hardly a great message to the team though.

Weak!! That's your own argument - no one elses

Generally Lamberts signings have been decent Vlaar, Guzan, Westwood, Benteke and Lowton have been our best players

KEA is not a good signing so far. Bennett is not a good signing so far but I think will get there

I think he should be backed further to buy two or three more players and I think not doing so is putting the club in danger

Signed 3 defenders and created the worst defence in the league.

Great.

Thank god it's not just me.

It has been repeated over and over again. Will next summer be any better or will we again buy players not good enough for what ever level we find ourselves at?

Yet you continue to blame Lambert? Lambert is about 5% to blame and Lerner 95% (along with previous managers)

All I can assume is there is a budget that Lerner has decided he wants us to stick to and we are X amount over it still, just don't know why he would allow McLeish to sign Hutton, Zoggy and Given when he was the one when was first brought in to cut costs.

At least Lambert has made it clear now that were actually expecting to be relegated, hardly a great message to the team though.

And thats what **** me off , just LAST season we gave out high wages now suddenly we refuse pay anymore.So clearly last season there was a different plan ?

No forward thinking at all !! Muppets clueless muppets 

Signed 3 defenders and created the worst defence in the league.

Great.

.........and round we go again

why keep moaning about Groundhog Day and then posting the same nonsense

Vlaar and Lowton are decent players - I'd challenge you to find two better for the money we can spend. You don't like Bennett (you don't like anyone) we are all clear on that now. Clark and Baker were here before he came. Dunne was injured. Cuellar, Colins, Warnock and Hutton all had to go - not Lamberts choice

Also your argument that the back four is responsible for the defence is simplistic - most sane people would acknowledge that the whole team is responsible.

Point your blame at the right person - Lerner and the dopes he employed over the last three years

So Hairyhands who are you - Culverhouse or Karsa?

Probably Lambert himself . Spending all his time on here rather than spending time trying to fix the teams defensive frailties.

Edited by limvillian

Lambert is at fault, you shouldn't feel sorry for him at all. He signed these shit players, its his fault as much as it is anyone elses. He could have got some experience in but he went all youth and they aren't good enough.

He also took the job knowing full well what the limitations were.

Well last season we lost Young & Downing who I assume were on big money. We must have just replaced their wages with Given, Hutton and Nzogbia. Now because we can't sell anyone we can't buy anyone. I'm sure money is there to buy players, we just cant take any more wages on at the minute. Incredibly risky move by Lerner. 

So Hairyhands sums it up for me - Lerner has made a right **** up of the club my letting managers sign players on high wages as clearly he had no input into it.

He then is making a bigger **** up by letting us go down and losing £60m in revenue at least - and some still call him a businessman?

I can't understand what on earth Lambert has come to us for - we was in a better position at Norwich - at least they will be in the Prem next season