Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Guys, reading the posts and would hope some of you would take some time to consider do you not think Lambert probably agrees with most of what you are saying. The current group of players aren't good enough. Investment is needed. More experience is required. The team needs to become more physical. Believe me, he does. And the intention is to try and make big improvements during the January transfer window.

First and foremost, money is required. The owner has to back the manager - no question. The manager wants 4-5 new players and he needs to get them. That, plus some of the injured players back, will see Villa with a far stronger team than the one that is being sent out just now.

But take a minute to look at the bigger picture - difficult I know when the team is edging ever closer to the drop zone. Villa are a club paying the price for previous managers spending big money on players who don't deliver.

Bent - lazy and offers nothing to the team. You can be lazy when you are playing in a team packed with quality so he needs to be offloaded. Nzogbia will be sold too. On big money - over 60k - and his attitude is stinking. Dunne is finished and will be allowed to leave. Hutton can't defend and is on seriously ridiculous money which McLeish sanctioned. Warnock is the same. Given is on massive wages too and his best days are behind him.

Now I agree the guys who are filling in aren't great either but if and when these guys are removed from the wage bill it will mean more money will be available. Its not Lambert's fault they are all at Villa and on huge money but its a problem he is having to fix. If it isn't him, it will be the next guy. Basically, the club will struggle to move forward unless this problem is tackled.

Lambert will turn things around. I know it seems a long way off and you wonder where the next win will come from but once a few signings are on board things will change and change quickly.

I'd suggest everyone tries to stick together for the next month and then see where the club are. I think you'll find one or two of the guys I mentioned will be away, a few new faces will be on board and there might even be a cup final to look forward to. The club will also move up the table.

You need to trust in the manager for now!

Well if Randy can't shift these over-paid players in the January window then waiting til the summer in not an option. He will just have to take the hit and bring in some extra quality to keep this club in the Premier League. I can't see anyone wanting to buy Bent, Nzogbia, Given, Hutton or Warnock to be honest. I hope Randy is prepared for that to be the case.

Edited by PieFacE

Guys, reading the posts and would hope some of you would take some time to consider do you not think Lambert probably agrees with most of what you are saying. The current group of players aren't good enough. Investment is needed. More experience is required. The team needs to become more physical. Believe me, he does. And the intention is to try and make big improvements during the January transfer window.

First and foremost, money is required. The owner has to back the manager - no question. The manager wants 4-5 new players and he needs to get them. That, plus some of the injured players back, will see Villa with a far stronger team than the one that is being sent out just now.

But take a minute to look at the bigger picture - difficult I know when the team is edging ever closer to the drop zone. Villa are a club paying the price for previous managers spending big money on players who don't deliver.

Bent - lazy and offers nothing to the team. You can be lazy when you are playing in a team packed with quality so he needs to be offloaded. Nzogbia will be sold too. On big money - over 60k - and his attitude is stinking. Dunne is finished and will be allowed to leave. Hutton can't defend and is on seriously ridiculous money which McLeish sanctioned. Warnock is the same. Given is on massive wages too and his best days are behind him.

Now I agree the guys who are filling in aren't great either but if and when these guys are removed from the wage bill it will mean more money will be available. Its not Lambert's fault they are all at Villa and on huge money but its a problem he is having to fix. If it isn't him, it will be the next guy. Basically, the club will struggle to move forward unless this problem is tackled.

Lambert will turn things around. I know it seems a long way off and you wonder where the next win will come from but once a few signings are on board things will change and change quickly.

I'd suggest everyone tries to stick together for the next month and then see where the club are. I think you'll find one or two of the guys I mentioned will be away, a few new faces will be on board and there might even be a cup final to look forward to. The club will also move up the table.

To be honest, and please do not take this in an insulting way, you sound just like General Krulak!

I hear what you are saying on many things. It's blatantly obvious that injuries are causing Lambert to pick certain players and/or to play others out of position. But, even when he did have a full quota earelier in the season, he still played people out of position! Herd was played right wing earlier in the season and yesterday he played the centre of a back three when the only natural central defender was deplied on the left of the three. That is criminal IMO.

Like you say, when players are fit again we should see a different team out on the pitch and that in itself may bring a change in fortunes. However, earlier in the season when we could field the likes of Bent and N'Zogbia, Lambert left them sat on the bench anyway! The only injured players I can see getting back in the first team are Gabby, Vlaar and maybe Baker. I am not even sure that they will make much of a difference as our defence seemed to be doing better when Baker came in to replace Vlaar and then it all went pear-shaped after Chelsea debacle.

I also agree that Lambert cannot be blamed for the financial situation and that is something that only Lerner can be blamed for. I personally think the guy is a fraud now and he has lost my trust and faith in him. He has taken us to the edge of something great and given up totally and, inexplicably, in a way that has now made the club I love the laughing stock of English football. However, if this is the way that Lerner is going to continue to move with regards to funding the club, Lambert has to deal with that. It is then his decision and responsibility to bring in the right players to keep us as safe as possible. Taking risks on young, inexperienced players who are mightily lacking in quality will eventually cost us our place in this league!

I agree with you that any other manager would have the same problems. I am not saying that we sack Lambert and get someone else in. I am just saying that some of his decision making is baffling and not helping the cause.

Just a longer version of the blind faith and excuses for lerner and lambert we've heard all season.

I will back Lambert still at this stage, he wasn't my choice at all, never thought he'd done anything to get the villa job. I always wanted Rafa Benitez and he's starting to look a top manager again.

Please don't ask me to have any sympathy for Lambert. He took the job in June knowing full well what to expect and do (and if he didn't then he is a fool).

He is now part of the infrastructure that guides Villa either up or down.

He is not as culpable as Lerner (who is ultimately responsible for success or failure) but he has an important position which he has to get right.

If it goes right he will get plaudits if it goes wrong he will get stick.

That's how it is.

Lerner seriously has to back Lambert in the next two windows. At least Lambert has his targets in sight, all he needs is the green light from Lerner. We saved a lot of money with the departure of a lot of high earners and having replaced them with much cheaper players. Not to mention his recent influx in money from the sale of the Lions. Now is the time to invest in us with the right manager in place to push us forward. If he doesn't, then I'm afraid he needs to sell up.

Latest info from William Hill web site:

Premier League Specials: Chop Looms For Lambert

Paul Lambert's Aston Villa have had potentially the trickiest and most humbling of Christmas periods and William Hill make the former Norwich man Even money to have left the club come the end of the season (8/11 to still be there). Lambert is 7/4 favourite to be the next manager to leave his job.

"Lambert left Norwich to move onto bigger and better things at Villa, but the malaise that set in at Villa Park nearly three years ago shows no sign of abating," said William Hill spokesman Joe Crilly.

Dead man walking in my opinion. Seeing the reaction of people looking from the outside in is interesting - all my non-Villa supporting mates think he's been a massive disappointment and deserves the sack.

His demenour in the interview yesterday spoke volumes, he was basically admitting to not being good enough and not having a clue what to do before his experienced players come back.

Edited by R.I.C.O.

I think the truth might be that Lerner and Lambert took a gamble that there was just about enough there in the squad to see us through this season, clearly we can see with the injuries and the bad attitiude/performance of some of the senior pros there is not and I too fully expect at least £25-£30m being spent this window or a significant investment in wages for decent loan signings.

Lerner and the club cannot afford relegation and I believe he will do almost anything to avoid that position. Blind faith maybe but it makes no sense either footballing ways or business ways not to do something drastic as it is clear a fix is needed.

Too many youngsters having too much to do is the problem and those promising ones could be destroyed if this is allowed to continue.

Sack him or force him out and t will be catastrophic for the club and I would question how wise it would be to continue following them whilst Lerner is still there.

A total retrograde step for lambert to leave now and I cannot believe anyone is seriously considering this

Sack him or force him out and t will be catastrophic for the club and I would question how wise it would be to continue following them whilst Lerner is still there.

A total retrograde step for lambert to leave now and I cannot believe anyone is seriously considering this

Genuine question, why are you so sure that Lambert is the right man for the club??

Not saying sack him, you have just always come across as strongly in favour of Lambert and just interested in where your belief comes from.