Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Got tactics completely wrong, could've gone 451 or 442 even with the injuries in the squad

I think PL's stuck with the three centre backs due to the lack of experience in that position, today we only had Clark as a recognisable CB, with Lowton and Herd slotting in alongside him to give him cover and assistance.

I think PL's stuck with the three centre backs due to the lack of experience in that position, today we only had Clark as a recognisable CB, with Lowton and Herd slotting in alongside him to give him cover and assistance.

I can understand what your saying, but Wigan had obviously watched our last couple of games and attacked down the wings.. It was all too easy

There is absolutely no evidence so far to say that Lambert is not going to be backed (and then some). Come back at the end of January and we can debate the point based on what is actually happening, rather than what three bad results are telling you is happening.

I don't think he was backed well in the summer. I said it was clearly not enough and I don't think he was provided with decent wages to offer. I don't think the whole policy during the summer was good enough.

We're now relying on this window to save us even after I was told what a success the summer was.

How has this thread spiralled to the point if Lambert losing his job if we fail to beat Wigan.

Lambert wasting time?!? Lamberts fault for injuries. WTF? This injury crises is worse than any faced by one of our managers in recent time.

Even worse than the injury crises that were faced by McLeish last season and Houllier the season before which were also supposed to be the worst injury crises ever faced by AVFC in recent times?

I think blaming injury crises is getting to be a rather lame and tedious excuse for Villa, Every team has one at some point, just legislate for it, it happens and always has happened!

I think PL's stuck with the three centre backs due to the lack of experience in that position, today we only had Clark as a recognizable CB, with Lowton and Herd slotting in alongside him to give him cover and assistance.

Trouble is this isn't working either so we may as well have a go at hurting other teams with more attacking players on the pitch. We are just succumbing to defeat atm.

Three actually because I know for a fact the OP was being sarcastic.

Though nobody has ever figured out how to make sarcasm work on the internet. At least not now the site seems to have gone emoticon free.

How dare you!!!

Our young and hungry players don't seem to look too hungry anymore.

This.

I thought playing like you don't give a shit was reserved for overrated experienced premier league players.

I don't think he was backed well in the summer. I said it was clearly not enough and I don't think he was provided with decent wages to offer. I don't think the whole policy during the summer was good enough.

We're now relying on this window to save us even after I was told what a success the summer was.

Personally I think the fact that RL is one billion dollars better off than he was in the summer is likely to be significant. Given that he obviously knew that would be the case back then, it's also possible that PL bought his cheaper choices then, and the wages thing was maybe just a consequence of them being cheaper players in the first place.

Come the end of January we'll know one way or another, but now doesn't seem the most sensible time to make any declarations.

Firstly, Lambert deserves plenty of criticism however, he still has my backing for now.

Defensively an absolute shambles and tactically not getting it anywhere near right last couple games, badly needs to invest in quality over January. Players who we know would walk straight into this side, not 'potential'.

In his defence, we have some real key players out at the moment, Vlaar, Agbonlahor and even the emerging Nathan Baker has been very good for us during our good form. Bent and N'Zogbia also, it's difficult to fully measure if they would have been able to improve things given the lack of game time each has received but both were starting to move into the squad and get game time before their injuries. Probably N'Zogbia more so who has looked good when he has been fit from the short spells I've seen him.

The biggest problem for me at the moment is a simple lack of quality. It doesn't matter about their age, a lot of them are simply not good enough. Eric Lichaj and Chris Herd are footballers who don't belong in this league. Ciaran Clark isn't the defender we had hoped for and at best is an average Premiership player, yet he's captaining our side and our best central defensive option. In midfield, I have no idea for starters why Westwood was left out and also Albrighton who at least offers intent and direct attacking play. Westwood and Bannan I actually like but neither are dominant and neither are great Premier League players, both are players for where we are with potential to be a mid-table/top half player as experience grows. You look apart from that, Delph, KEA, Ireland, they are either inconsistent or not good enough at this level. Holman is a hard worker but doesn't offer much. Benteke is still for me a shining light in a poor team and a player we can build up on, while sorry to say but i'll stick with my original opinion that Weimann simply isn't good enough.

In fairness to Lambert, his signings within his ideas aren't bad at all. Bennett looks like he can play and is good going forward, Matthew Lowton is a right back I like, Westwood is steady, Benteke is Benteke, re-signing of Guzan who for the first time this season I thought could have done better with the latter two goals, more so the 3rd but down slowly on the 2nd and Ron Vlaar who I thought has looked pretty good.

Unfortunately, we are building from rock bottom and think we have to remember that. There has been so little quality bought in over the past years in areas like central midfield that all the best players are the signings made by Lambert. He got it wrong with KAE though admittedly.

There is absolutely no doubt he's making mistakes and has done in recent games and I'm very surprised at how poor we are doing but I still believe that with funding available and luck regarding injuries, we'll be absolutely fine in the league and with hopefully a Wembley trip as well, it could still yet be a decent season for us. I said to myself at the start of the season that even if we got relegated, i'd back Lambert as I think long term it will be for the best and the club needs a structure in place and something settled. It's been a depressing week and a reality check after the week we had beating Norwich and Liverpool but hopefully just a blip and while you have to look at Lambert, my general thoughts are that the players we have at this current moment and we've had fit for these games (i.e. not counting Vlaar, Gabby etc..) are not of sufficient quality to stay in the league and I'm not sure who is to blame for that, probably all managers going back to the days of O'Neill as well of course as the owner.

back him and build on the potential we do possess, because without sounding crazy, we really aren't far away, a commanding centre back, central midfielder and then quality up front/wide/playmaker IF Bent is sold and we really do have the base of a good team. Obviously getting the right players will be the problem, who? but yes, I genuinely think we are close to having a good team that could play within various ways and styles.

Or maybe I'm just trying to be optimistic in a very difficult period.

Edited by AVFC-Prideofbrum
  • Like 2

I do not think its fair to say the young players dont give a shit, this is not the case, I think they are inexperienced and do not know which way to turn, We go behind and they have a go, this leaves us exposed to the counter attack as per the last 3 games, they simply do not know what to do to turn it round and probably think they are way out of their depth, they desperately need a leader to help and guide them and to organize them on the pitch,n yes the manager can give a team talk and give them a plan before the game and at half time but when it goes to shit they simply look lost and bereft of ideas, you only had to look at there faces when the second went in to see the problem.

3 nil to Wigan at home is worse than 8 nil away to Chelsea in my opinion.

4-0 to Spurs is a result which comes around every so often anyhow but that performance isn't. Giving players as much time as they want in the centre of the penalty box with no midfielders tracking runs and defenders ball watching like lemons is something you wouldn't see at school boy level.

I'm all for giving young talent a stage in which to shine but **** me, we're not even vaguely competitive against a team which is always going to be on the cusp of relegation.

These performances and results are a disgrace to our proud football club. This needs to be fixed, and it needs to be fixed now. A mixture of experience is required at times like this and if Lerner does not make this happen next month it's his head I'll be calling for a long time before Lamberts.