Paul Lambert

Pilchard

The Times very aptly summed us up in one word in their Sunday paper. Stakhanovite.

Sums our Liverpool performance up. i genuinely like Lambert. He's a good manager who is his own man who's not afraid to play hardball with the media and picks his team whether the fans like it or not. I groaned that Bannan started after his recent poor efforts but Lambert showed why he's boss and we're not. Keep at it Paul, and I hope you're here with a very good side of ours in a few years time.

• Like 1

What you can't see us that in that picture he was wearing McHammer trousers.

I'd love Gareth to make a wallpaper of that. :D

He is cold on a mission to fall them back and let them know that we're too much. This is a beat, uh, they can't touch.

Did anyone see Gary Neville last night before the Arsenal game? I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere else on the forum, but he had a fair bit to say about us. He said that when he came to VP as a player it was a 'nice' place to come to. There were lots of good 27-30 year old established premier league players who didn't really try hard enough. But Lambert had completely changed that. Did a good analysis of the goals - plenty of praise for Benteke and Holman.

Also said Weimann's goal was the best team goal you will see all season.

Nice to hear. I've been tuning into every football show since Saturday to hear the plaudits. Football Weekly on the Guardian spent a bit of time talking about us and again they talked about previous un-named players (presumably Warnock) blaming everyone else for their shortcomings all being gotten rid of and how the new squad was running through brick walls for Lambert.

Apparently Villa's Press Secretary was in Dortmund last week - interesting perhaps.

Yeah I heard it too yesterday, he also said Villa were very boring to watch and that they were just a "midtable" team and sometimes had a rise in the table nothing more than that.

But with the young players coming through now and it's much more than that, plenty of praise for Holman who he really likes and Benteke too of course.

As you know I expect and will be happy with a mid-table finish but I also think that qualification for Europe would be within the bounds of possibility (although you'll be glad to know that even I am counting out a top four finish for this season)

If PL can sign a two or three crap lower league players or unearth the "next Balaban" ( Morpheus ©) in the window, then I think anything is possible

As long as it is not the next KEA or Bennet eh?

Interesting how certain posters are quick to dampen expectations when we do well but when we do badly is always the first to go into a panic and start calling for the manager's head.

There's a difference between trying 'to dampen expectations' and using a bit of realism.

If we had got hammered at Anfield I'm sure that one game would have been deemed sufficient to write Lambert off yet win and it is just one game.

Morpheus I believe said he wanted him replaced with Redknapp.

Yes i did and if i had the choice i still would.

A small selection of people were, although of course they've stopped now but I wouldn't count against them starting up again if we go on a bad run of form.

Exactly Trent. There are just certain people who love downplaying optimism and general happiness when we win but equally love exaggerating negativity and misery when we lose or do badly.

Are you saying then that if we do go on a bad run due to form or tactical decisons, we should not criticize? Should we just pretend that everything is ok?

I haven't seen anyone 'exaggerating negativity and misery' when we lose. However, there is nothing wrong at all with diversity of opinion especially after the poor start we have had to the season and i would also hasten to add that shouldn't change due to one very good result against Liverpool.

As long as it is not the next KEA or Bennet eh?

You're writing them off already?

Oh well, it's an improvement on writing off players after a few weeks (e.g. Benteke).

There's a difference between trying 'to dampen expectations' and using a bit of realism.
Ah and yet this "realism" is completely absent from certain people when we lose or perform badly.

Yes i did and if i had the choice i still would.
:lol:

Are you saying then that if we do go on a bad run due to form or tactical decisons, we should not criticize? Should we just pretend that everything is ok?

I haven't seen anyone 'exaggerating negativity and misery' when we lose. However, there is nothing wrong at all with diversity of opinion especially after the poor start we have had to the season and i would also hasten to add that shouldn't change due to one very good result against Liverpool.

Never said that at all.

I have, you being one of them.