Paul Lambert

Pilchard

You turned off a game we were winning 2-0 and refused to even check the result?

I don't believe that's true.

if it is, you're a very odd bloke

Well thanks for the compliment Stevo..After all who'd want to be ordinary? :wacko: .. Actually i really did ..Call it a hunch if you will :unsure: .. Next time i correctly "guess" what is going to happen, having witnessed it year in year out for goodness knows how long, i'll remember to force myself to endure the misery of watching it. I guess i'm just that sick & tired of repeatedly watching the same thing over & over again against that lot that i just decided this time i'd switch it off whilst the going was good instead of having more horrid memories polluting my brain forever & a day... It's actually worked quite well as i have very pleasent memories from the game that i watched :D ... Some may say odd.. some however may call it prophetically wise :P

Well thanks for the compliment Stevo..After all who'd want to be ordinary? :wacko: .. Actually i really did ..Call it a hunch if you will :unsure: .. Next time i correctly "guess" what is going to happen, having witnessed it year in year out for goodness knows how long, i'll remember to force myself to endure the misery of watching it. I guess i'm just that sick & tired of repeatedly watching the same thing over & over again against that lot that i just decided this time i'd switch it off whilst the going was good instead of having more horrid memories polluting my brain forever & a day... It's actually worked quite well as i have very pleasent memories from the game that i watched :D ... Some may say odd.. some however may call it prophetically wise :P

I dont blame you for this at all mate. Sometimes you need to turn away to stay sane. Doesnt make you any less of a supporter.

Just to clarify, I didn't say it made him any less of a supporter.

I just found it very strange that anyone would turn off a game we were winning 2-0, regardless of who it was against.

Each to their own.

Thanks ciggiesnbeer...& Stevo believe me i wouldn't have turned it off against any other team apart from the mancs.. not a chance!. I'm a bit surrounded by plastic Man U fans by me too & just cannot bear to listen to them gloating so this probably had something to do with it too i guess.. Anyhow i didn't take your comments Stevo as making me any lesser of a fan...& i can see how it would seem maybe odd lol! Even if you had it wouldn't have washed with me anyhow as i have been a season ticket holding Holte ender since the days or Brian Little & Andy Gray & home & away fan even in our 2nd division days. Goodness me i've even hitch hiked to Plymouth, Nottingham & Manchester so as to not miss a game before now lol! Plus i was in Rottedam in 82' so nobody can say i'm anything other than a hard core Villa man that's for sure!. Only wasn't there yesterday due to a work clash.

Anyhow back onto the important stuff & i really like the look of what Lambert is building here. I thought Man U just didn't quite know how to cope with us for a while yesterday but then our inexperience showed too quite often...but that will improve for sure. I just wish Gabby would start to produce more regulary as he had 2 or 3 chances to do something yeasterday & each time he either made the wrong choices or his excecution was very poor. He should be doing better than that as one of our senior players now (which in itself is quite scary). we had a couple of openings when 2-0 up to put the game to bed & each time we kind of got "rabbitinheadlightsitis" when a simple pass or level head could have won us the game.. Good signs though & although i chose not to watch the inevitable capitulation (no doubt Ref assisted to a point as always against them) I feel quite hopefull now for survival this season & a much better one next time out!

It sure would be nice if it became what we do. Thats all down to the manager. Hopefully Lambert can instill that in our players. To be fair we went to the final whistle but we have a long way before we have that "we can win this even 2 down" kind of determination.

I think it is what Lambert is aiming for..... on the seond point, you are right, but you have to start somewhere and someday and I think we have. The controlling of the game will come form the belief derived from Possession.

It will take some time and some in and outs over a period of time, but we must stick with it.

Thanks ciggiesnbeer...& Stevo believe me i wouldn't have turned it off against any other team apart from the mancs.. not a chance!. I'm a bit surrounded by plastic Man U fans by me too & just cannot bear to listen to them gloating so this probably had something to do with it too i guess.. Anyhow i didn't take your comments Stevo as making me any lesser of a fan...& i can see how it would seem maybe odd lol! Even if you had it wouldn't have washed with me anyhow as i have been a season ticket holding Holte ender since the days or Brian Little & Andy Gray & home & away fan even in our 2nd division days. Goodness me i've even hitch hiked to Plymouth, Nottingham & Manchester so as to not miss a game before now lol! Plus i was in Rottedam in 82' so nobody can say i'm anything other than a hard core Villa man that's for sure!. Only wasn't there yesterday due to a work clash.

Anyhow back onto the important stuff & i really like the look of what Lambert is building here. I thought Man U just didn't quite know how to cope with us for a while yesterday but then our inexperience showed too quite often...but that will improve for sure. I just wish Gabby would start to produce more regulary as he had 2 or 3 chances to do something yeasterday & each time he either made the wrong choices or his excecution was very poor. He should be doing better than that as one of our senior players now (which in itself is quite scary). we had a couple of openings when 2-0 up to put the game to bed & each time we kind of got "rabbitinheadlightsitis" when a simple pass or level head could have won us the game.. Good signs though & although i chose not to watch the inevitable capitulation (no doubt Ref assisted to a point as always against them) I feel quite hopefull now for survival this season & a much better one next time out!

There is a bit of inevitability with United doing what they did on Saturday....it certainly isn't the first time.

We must learn from it and not just pay lips service to it....Its a mentality and a desire to play the game properly that instills a belief in them that they can win any game.

Its up to us to try an emulate that.

becoming a team that never believes they are beaten, even when 2-0 down takes time and proving themselves right over and over again... the only way to actually create a winning culture, unfortunately, is by winning over a long period of time...

for us, its slowly slowly and we'll get there... PL needs to get the players to believe that we are not going to concede goals, and then they need to go out and keep clean sheets... every time they do it, they'll believe it a little bit more...

two bits of luck let man u in for the first two goals today, but the simple fact of the matter is that if you give an expert finisher two chances, he will most likely score two goals...

concentration needs to remain for the full 90 minutes, and if so, we're going to start winning lots of games...

i was very encouraged by satdee, but would love for us to start showing defeinsive consistency, just as we seem to be finding it further up the field...

To be honest, whilst I agree with the theory behind the article, I don't really think it's a very good article.

It's just a quick one sider written based on a couple of stats, some of which are based off our game vs West Ham, which we lost.

The fact that he bases our improvement on Delph and KEA shows there's not that much credibility in the article, in my opinion.

What he's saying (ie we're in transistion, play is improving, avoid relegation and we'll be fine) is right. But don't think it's aparticularly good article to be honest.

Morpheus, what's your point? Stoke are in a better position than us at the moment, but I'd rather be in our shoes. Due to better football, and a clear strategy to ensure the club is a more sustainable business. I.e. buying young up and coming players, getting value for money from signings, players with re-sale vlaues, and not giving out ridiculous wages topeople who aren't worth it.

McLeish, didn't have such a plan, and certainly didn'tintend on us trying to play decent football.

Yet are we not in a worse position?

No, it's not. On the pitch we look a lot better than last year. The players seem to believe a lot more in Lambert than they did in AML, and we play a lot better. Last year we gave those games up before they were played, we don't do that this year. We now seem to have an attacking force able to create chances against every opposition. Last year we were happy to get a shot at goal in some games. And those games weren't necessarily against the best teams. Compare the games against swansea, united and tottenham from last season and this season. There's an ocean of differences between those games, especially the approach. Very encouraging this season whilst last season one dreaded almost every game.

Off the pitch I think we're a lot better too, but that's not only down to the managers. It definitely wasn't AML's fault that we were in such a bad state when he came. And I think it was better when he left.

Yet are we not in a worse position?

I'd have a read of the article Morpheus.

The table isn't an accurate representation of how we are doing at the moment as a club. Also based on comparing fixtures we're doing better. Even in the ones we lost for example: Under Mcleish we Lost 0-1 against United and played some dire football in a ground that had barely any atmosphere. Under Lambert we lost 2-3 against United, played some great football, showed the football world that we're not going to turn over to these bigger teams like last season. We're going to go out and "give it a right good go". Everyone I've spoken to about the game on Saturday has held Villa high in their estimation, due to the way we played!

I'd have a read of the article Morpheus.

The table isn't an accurate representation of how we are doing at the moment as a club.

I suppose i could throw into the equation the usual 'the table never lies' but i do see what several of you are saying and there was a marked improvement in our performance against Man U as compared to the performance last season, particularly away at United which was shameful so i'll wait and see how we go. I don't expect we'll get much in our next set of fixtures but if by the end of the January transfer window we're still in the bottom 5 then that would be a very big concern for me.