Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Lambert was a meh appointment when we got him and unfortunately his signings, his tactics and general man to man management has done nothing to change this opinion.

I hope he can turn it around though.

Delph is another who can't tackle but he is playing in a position that he didn't occupy at Leeds when he looked a decent prospect. I don't think we will ever see the best of him whilst he plays in that role.

Too many excuses for Delph on this board to be honest.

He isn't a premier league player and will never be - he looks out of depth at this level.

What makes people think that Lambert will stay when we go down?

Just look at his record, the way he left Colchester for Norwich was even worse than how O'Neill walked out on us.

When we are relegated, and we will be, Lambert will walk out on us and take another step on his career ladder.

He will not be missed...

"When we are relegated"? Do you have a time machine? Can you see into the future?

Short term thinking finishing 6th on how many occasions? Short term thinking on qualifying for europe. Long term thinking by Lambert equates to worst start ever to a Premiership season coupled with not playing our best players and indeed alienating them. Yeah let's stick with Lambert's long term plan and continue to back that plan in the Championship.

Do you know what the term "short term" actually means? O'Neill's approach was short term - buying lots of mediocre players for big money and sticking them on long lucrative contracts. We've lost or are going to lose a lot of money on most of his signings (Milner, Downing and Young excluded), and the style of football he instilled into the team meant that we'd need a massive revamp when he left because kick and rush just doesn't get you anywhere these days.

There's no guarantee that we will be relegated and I wish people would stop acting like it's already a certainty. The stupid thing is we're not even in the relegation zone at the moment.

"In the context of the Premier League". Did you not read that bit? We didn't get any points for it, and if we go down, beating Man City will be meaningless. Yes it was a great win, and if we win the League Cup, even better, but do you really want to emulate McShit at the Blues and win it but get relegated?

It's relevant because it shows we can play well and win. We're just really inconsistent and prone to mistakes, which is to be expected of a new team trying to play a new way.

Having watched the game yesterday (not highlights), we looked like the away team from the off. The team selection (bar Benteke) indicated we were set up to try and contain what ever Norwich threw at us and hit them on the break. It was clear Albrighton, from his first touch of the ball, was not going to cut it and thus the hit them on the break idea was reduced to long aimless balls up to Benteke. Gabby was not in sync with Benteke and any ball headed down found gabby elsewhere. A good manager would have at least seen this very early doors. He didnt or chose to ignore it. We were playing defensively up to the sending off. Why bring another defender on? Couldnt we have switched delph to right back or even Holman (surely the worst footballing player on our team). Albrighton should have been taken off, Ireland taking Holmans position with Gabby filling Albrightons. Instead our manager left us to be dominated by a veryy very poor norwich squad. The problem was not the sending off, it was the Managers decision from the off to play defensively and then make it ultra defensive after the sending off.

I grow very tired of peope defending a manager who seems clueless on how to set up a team to win. Lambert chose this team and it is his responsibilty to get the best out of them. Isnt he a manager afterall? Isnt his job to get these guys on the training pitch and work on their ability to do the basics. Hold the ball, retain posssesion and make a pass when it is avaialble? He seems to have come in and done none of those things. In fact we have gone backwards like most of our passes. People can blame the owner for not investing. The simple fact of the matter is Randy owns Villa as a business and for all intents and purposes it is a failry successful one. Like any business you expect the manager you have put faith in to run it as per his job. In this case lambert is the manager of the team not Randy. Lambert is currently failing misserably at the job he is intrusted with and unless he starts to show me and all of you, he has what it takes to manage this team, then he should be given a firm hanshake and told to hit the road like any inept manager in any business.

The team put out against Norwich was not the team to win the game and we didnt. Thats Lamberts job and he failed yet again

The problem is the squad has very little balance to it. He recruited players in positions that needed filling and yet still we have holes in the squad like defensive midfielder and winger which goes to show just how poor a squad he inherited. We can have a go at the diamond formation or the weak midfield but he has so few options that any other formation would have massive holes in it too. We'd improve so much by the signing of a defensive midfielder and someone like Downing on the wing, that's probably achieveable for £15m in January, if not less. I think the mass panic is slightly over the top, to me there is a relatively easy fix in January before Lambert's culture starts taking over before the summer. I was expecting 12th to 15th this season and still think that's where we'll finish. Keep calm people.

We were far from perfect under MON, but when we did play well we operated with two full backs and two wingers, we had width and we had target men.

Since MON went and we sold Downing and Young we have completely failed to put together a team with any width or counter attacking ability.

So look at who we've had since then.

Fullbacks under McCleish

Hutton: Did get fwd at times but his crossing was poor and has tackling often near suicidal

Warnock: Lost any pace he did have and confidence with it.

Lichaj: Filled in ok, but again doesn't get forward or overlap well

Herd: Only a few cameos, although i do think he is better in defence than he is in midfield

Fullbacks under Lambert

Lowton: Ok so he has looked pretty solid and does occasionally get a good cross in.

Bennet: Young, promising but also a inexperienced and a liability

Lichaj: Hasn't really kicked on much

Herd: See above

Wingers under both

Holman: I like the guy but he has little end product and isn't really a winger, could do well behind the forwards maybe?

Zog: Mishandled by Eck, and no better under Lambert, only player we have that takes on players, but does so at the risk of losing possession three times as quickly.

Albrighton: Again i want him to recapture his first season form, but the confidence isn't there and he goes missing easily, his crossing is also erratic.

Bannan: Not a winger, but his crosses and set pieces are the best we have and that's not saying much.

Carruthers: Looked promising with brief cameos under Eck, but because he brought his phone to training won't get a look in under Lambert!!!!????

Gabby: Was shocking yesterday and although he does well on the wing, if he is the only wide option we have then he is easy to close down and mark at times.

So there you have it, i realise we have many more problems other than width, but surely if we want to create a supply line for Bent and co then we need the above to be sorted out!

Why did we sell Downing and Ash and then just buy Nzogbia?

Such a shame we ended up signing some of the players we did. For the 5m we spent on Bennett and Westwood we could have got Diame and Naughton. Chucking a lot of faith in kids from the premier league is risky enough, but to put it in kids from the lower leagues is gambling with our clubs premiership future.

Such a shame we ended up signing some of the players we did. For the 5m we spent on Bennett and Westwood we could have got Diame and Naughton. Chucking a lot of faith in kids from the premier league is risky enough, but to put it in kids from the lower leagues is gambling with our clubs premiership future.

and Bowery???

The only argument for sticking Hutton back in is the fact he bombs forward, there is no width in our play at all, mayby a 352 with 2 wingbacks could give us that. Unfortunately he ballooned everyball be crossed last season.

Having watched the game yesterday (not highlights), we looked like the away team from the off. The team selection (bar Benteke) indicated we were set up to try and contain what ever Norwich threw at us and hit them on the break. It was clear Albrighton, from his first touch of the ball, was not going to cut it and thus the hit them on the break idea was reduced to long aimless balls up to Benteke. Gabby was not in sync with Benteke and any ball headed down found gabby elsewhere. A good manager would have at least seen this very early doors. He didnt or chose to ignore it. We were playing defensively up to the sending off. Why bring another defender on? Couldnt we have switched delph to right back or even Holman (surely the worst footballing player on our team). Albrighton should have been taken off, Ireland taking Holmans position with Gabby filling Albrightons. Instead our manager left us to be dominated by a veryy very poor norwich squad. The problem was not the sending off, it was the Managers decision from the off to play defensively and then make it ultra defensive after the sending off.

I grow very tired of peope defending a manager who seems clueless on how to set up a team to win. Lambert chose this team and it is his responsibilty to get the best out of them. Isnt he a manager afterall? Isnt his job to get these guys on the training pitch and work on their ability to do the basics. Hold the ball, retain posssesion and make a pass when it is avaialble? He seems to have come in and done none of those things. In fact we have gone backwards like most of our passes. People can blame the owner for not investing. The simple fact of the matter is Randy owns Villa as a business and for all intents and purposes it is a failry successful one. Like any business you expect the manager you have put faith in to run it as per his job. In this case lambert is the manager of the team not Randy. Lambert is currently failing misserably at the job he is intrusted with and unless he starts to show me and all of you, he has what it takes to manage this team, then he should be given a firm hanshake and told to hit the road like any inept manager in any business.

The team put out against Norwich was not the team to win the game and we didnt. Thats Lamberts job and he failed yet again

Have to agree with this, the tactics and formation was simply woeful. I too was fully expecting gabby to play on the wing and provide us some pace and width. The 4-4-2 simply is not working. Seeing the game yesterday I saw delph and KEA occupy the same position and a huge gap in midfield between them and gabby. What happened to passing football? I saw a lot of long ball and none of the passing play which brought enthusiasm despite some losses. Yesterday was just poor all round play. I would like to see us play 4-3-3 attcking and 4-5-1 defending. That way we can mix it up with passing in the middle, plus some width on the wings. Lambert needs to sort this out asap, maybe experiment in the swindon game. I still trust in him and don't want him to leave as I can't see any one else decent taking over!

and Bowery???

He was about 250k wasn't he? Admittedly we could have got another player on a free and not signed him but no idea who. I have to say though i do like Vlaar, Guzan, Benteke and Lowton as signings. KEA looks pretty good too. I just question the use of some of our funds by the manager.

Our squad now is just so inexperienced. I actually think that we could do with the Hutton's and Dunne's back in the squad. We also need to play Ireland and CNZ and really go for teams like Lambert's Norwich did last season.

serious question, After 10 games what evidence have you got that the the better lambert is an improvment on mcduff after 10 games.

They are both inept managers punching above there weights and both should never be within 100miles of villa park along with the coward lerner and his bitch of a yes man faulkner.

People who think we have improved from last season are just muggin themselfs completly off!.

bennet/warnock no... cuellar/valar no... hutton/lowten no... benteke/heskey no,

But hey ho we will win a cup and finnish in the top 8 some muggs said when lambert came.

Sometimes real life should get in the way of the deluded football mug that suffers blind love but that dont seem to be the case with some on here.

Pull yourselfs together men or is life is that bad you pretend we have improved and all is fine as PL likes to say.

If life is that bad i suggest you try plenty of fish.com instead, And shake off the blind love deluded football mug title...

Oh well at least we still have the pleasure of gettin rid of Ireland, CNZ, Given and Bent and replacing them with some more unknown johnny foreigners and division 2 and 3 players

It really is exciting this lambert and lerner partnership aint it... Oh hang on a bit.. The Blind Love suffering deluded football mug title thing is spreading like the plague on here...

Wow. I've read some nonsense on VT, but this is awesome. Really awesome. Worst post in VT history.
  • Like 1

No Mantis i do not have a time machine...

but i have watched enough football to see where this is going.

Unless Randy makes huge (£40-60m) funds avaliable in january (which he won't) and Lambert spends it on quality and not potential (which he won't) i sadly don't see us staying up.