Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I'm one of the biggest supporters of PL and I think the style will come good.

I just thought they were some interesting stats and sort of indicative of the cynicism PL adopted in order to avoid the lopsided score lines of last year

Maybe Moyes should take a look?

i think he got it right last week whether that was due to fluke because of injuries or not is up for debate, still like him and want him here just think he blows the extreme of hot and cold with tactics, squad selection i normally think is pretty sound though.

In all honesty i think the turning point for him will be what happens on saturday, Hull have done alright this year, they are nearly 1/3 towards their target with 5/6 of the season to go. These are the games we need to be winning, it is brilliant and a buzz winning the big games in unlikely circumstances, but its even better if they are bonus points, not make-up-for-games-we-should-have-won points

A bit simplistic in my view, teams that play expansive football sometimes resort to these comments when they are struggling or unable to get control of a game....if in the case of our recent game with spurs, was what prompted AVB to base hs remarks, that villa team is not necessarily representative of how we always play.

Villa sometimes do play long ball and sometimes they don't..we like any other team play to our strengths and sometimes have to change style when it's not working.

Some opposing managers want to reserve their comments for their own team.

I think this latest lot of "stats" should tell everyone all they need to know.

Its either a "short pass" or a "long ball", not a "short ball" or a "long pass".

The long ball emerged if my memory serves me right from none other than GT when he was at Watford, after he did a survey on how goals had been scored.

Other managers went on to argue that it was "the early ball" as opposed to the "long ball" & lets face facts-Who wouldn't want to see an early ball if it caught the opposing defence off guard?

These days we have saddos perched in the stands counting every kind of pass throughout a game. You will probably see an inch perfect 40 yard crossfield pass listed in the stats as a "long ball" 

The fact that both Spurs & Man U are listed down as playing more so called long balls than us sums up the worth of these ridiculous figures. & surely if you are near the bottom of the so-called "short pass" table then it stands to reason that you will be near the top of the dreaded "long pass" table.

My own stats tell me that I've really enjoyed 4 of our games so far & have not enjoyed the other 2 so much. I think we're in for a season of this but for the first time in 3 years, I don't think we will be under pressure. This in itself will be a culture shock-Imagine loosing a game & not worrying about the league table all week until we play again? What a luxuary.

• Like 2

didnt AVB call us a long ball team :crylaugh:

No, mourinho did.

Was this after the same game where Mourinho's Chelsea played more long balls than us?

Yes that's the one.

What is actually classed as a long ball? As ones that's played 40 yards onto a players chest to me is not a long ball.

didnt AVB call us a long ball team :crylaugh:

No, mourinho did.

Was this after the same game where Mourinho's Chelsea played more long balls than us?

Because they had twice as much of the ball and therefore played more passes total? Yes

I actually think that our next set of games around about 6-7 are going to be very tough. I think Hull, spurs, Everton, cardiff or west brom can beat any team at the moment.

Possibly. Then again, so can we.

• Like 1

What is actually classed as a long ball? As ones that's played 40 yards onto a players chest to me is not a long ball.

I think you are correct with the definition. However, most people read "long ball" as "hoof football"  - where the only aim is to lump it forward into space at every opportunity and hope that your forwards can pick up the scraps.

I actually think that our next set of games around about 6-7 are going to be very tough. I think Hull, spurs, Everton, cardiff or west brom can beat any team at the moment.

I think we're capable of 9 points from those games TBH. Should definitely be looking at beating Hull, Cardiff and West Brom. Wouldn't expect anything from the Spurs or Everton games, but you never know - we've shown we're capable of beating anyone and losing to anyone

*EDIT*

Just looking at our  next 7 games, I think we should be aiming for 15 points from them. Hull (A), Spurs (H), Everton (H), West Ham (A), Cardiff (H), WBA (A), Sunderland (H)

12-15 points there would set us up quite nicely for a very reasonable December period, having us on 21-24 points ahead of Southampton (A), Fulham (A), Man U (H), Stoke (A), Palace (H) and Swansea (H), which (if we carried over reasonable form from the previous 7) could well yield another 10-12 points, which would have us pretty much safe by January and able to look up instead of down. March is the only really horrible month we've got left this season

Edited by P3te

I think we're capable of 9 points from those games TBH. Should definitely be looking at beating Hull, Cardiff and West Brom. Wouldn't expect anything from the Spurs or Everton games, but you never know - we've shown we're capable of beating anyone and losing to anyone

*EDIT*

Just looking at our next 7 games, I think we should be aiming for 15 points from them. Hull (A), Spurs (H), Everton (H), West Ham (A), Cardiff (H), WBA (A), Sunderland (H)

12-15 points there would set us up quite nicely for a very reasonable December period, having us on 21-24 points ahead of Southampton (A), Fulham (A), Man U (H), Stoke (A), Palace (H) and Swansea (H), which (if we carried over reasonable form from the previous 7) could well yield another 10-12 points, which would have us pretty much safe by January and able to look up instead of down. March is the only really horrible month we've got left this season

Whilst that would be nice, we can be so damn Jekyll and Hyde, we can never be sure which Villa turns up.

*EDIT*

Just looking at our  next 7 games, I think we should be aiming for 15 points from them. Hull (A), Spurs (H), Everton (H), West Ham (A), Cardiff (H), WBA (A), Sunderland (H)

averaging more tha 2 points a game for a run of 7 games is some pretty sh*t hot form for any team. If we get 12 points from those 7 we should be ecstatic.

Edited by romavillan

*EDIT*

Just looking at our next 7 games, I think we should be aiming for 15 points from them. Hull (A), Spurs (H), Everton (H), West Ham (A), Cardiff (H), WBA (A), Sunderland (H)

averaging more tha 2 points a game for a run of 7 games is some pretty sh*t hot form for any team. If we get 12 points from those 7 we should be ecstatic.

I agree, I think there might be some shock defeats in there. At which point the forum will naturally go into meltdown.