Paul Lambert

Pilchard

yeah i think we could play a good 3-4-3, it'd be really balls out but could be awesome to watch, just maybe from behind the sofa through your hands when we didn't have the ball ;)

You also a Roma fan? It'd be as fun/scary as watching them last season!

Anyone has stats for our possession this year ?! Compared to other team ?!

In the premier league site we seem to have under 40% for our games against Arsenal , Chelsea , Norwich and City .. While 48% Against Liverpool and 54% Against Newcastle ..

I stuck them here (although they don't compare against other teams). The figures are based on Sky's new stats system.
  • Like 1

There definitely seems to be a mental toughness to this team that wasn't present for a lot of last season.

as strange as it might seem I think the struggles of last season have helped the team build this.

• Like 2

Talking of the defence which I agree has improved overall but defending set pieces with zonal marking is going to cost us points.

We got away with it against City although they scored from 2 corners.

In theory I don't have a problem with zonal marking you in theory have equal chance to run and jump at the incoming cross just like the attacking player does. The problem is our starting position is the 6 yard box and as the attacking team you just aim your cross there and your players can run and jump whereas we can only jump from a standing position.

Man Marking is always better in my opinion as you can stop the run and jump or if it's to be zonal why not have your starting point staggered some on the goal line some on the 6 yard box.

They must have lots of faith in Guzan to claim crosses as it is at the moment but it is still way too risky for my liking!

Hull and Curtis Davies will be looking forward to corners that's for sure.

Anyone has stats for our possession this year ?! Compared to other team ?!

In the premier league site we seem to have under 40% for our games against Arsenal , Chelsea , Norwich and City .. While 48% Against Liverpool and 54% Against Newcastle ..

I stuck them here (although they don't compare against other teams). The figures are based on Sky's new stats system.

That's great stuff BOF.

• Like 1

I think we have been good from corners, but the advantage City had was they are a huge side and also played it well by realising not to actually enter the 6 yard box, they were slight mistakes in the positioning by players when Kamara did analysis of the game. Pretty sure we will work on it.

Some fun facts:

Villa rank last in the league in possession at 39.7%

Villa rank last in the league in crosses per game with 13 (United leads with 28 and Crystal Palace is 19th with 15)

Villa rank 19th in short passes per game with 295 (West Ham has 286)

Villa rank 6th in the league in long balls per game with 65 (United and Tottenham at 68 and 67 respectively 

Villa have the 2nd most yellow cards in the league with 14 (Swansea has 15)

Villa rank 18th in the league in pass success percentage with 75.2% (Crystal Palace 74.8% and West Ham 73.4%)

Some fun facts:

Villa rank last in the league in crosses per game with 13 (United leads with 28 and Crystal Palace is 19th with 15)

Villa rank 6th in the league in long balls per game with 65 (United and Tottenham at 68 and 67 respectively 

Villa rank 18th in the league in pass success percentage with 75.2% (Crystal Palace 74.8% and West Ham 73.4%)

In before Con mentions most of those can be solved with Bannan...

Some fun facts:

And yet we're above over 50% of the rest of the league in the only stat that I give a flying **** about - the league table.

• Like 1

Some fun facts:

Interesting the two teams with the toughest starts have most yellows.

Some fun facts:

also arguably the 2 weakest physically in midfield

Edited by Zatman

Some fun facts:

also arguably the 2 weakest physically in midfield

yeah you'd think that's probably them being pumped up for it a bit too much or just being penalised for being late in challenges. if it is our midfield that has picked up the most cards?

either way, shows we've been up for it physically to get something out of this hellish start to the season. I'd expect the stats to pick up for possession and passing accuracy now we'll have a run of games where we aren't facing the best midfields/possession teams in the league.. 

Some fun facts:

Perhaps this is down to the fact we have played 4 of the top 7 teams last season  in our first 6 games? You always have less of the ball v the better sides.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Ive just watched 'the paul lambert story' on youtube, quite old but the more i find out about the guy and his character, the more i see how perfect this man is to guide our great club.

You can see, after bad results, paul never panics and can see the long long long term plan. We need to give him all the time he needs and only judge him at the end of seasons.

I can really see how he has been inspired by his time in dortmund and he obviously draw paralells between us and them.

• Like 1

I'm one of the biggest supporters of PL and I think the style will come good.

I just thought they were some interesting stats and sort of indicative of the cynicism PL adopted in order to avoid the lopsided score lines of last year

I'm one of the biggest supporters of PL and I think the style will come good.

I just thought they were some interesting stats and sort of indicative of the cynicism PL adopted in order to avoid the lopsided score lines of last year

May I be so bold and suggest that's an idication of not only our young team but our young manager is devoloping and learning?