Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Interesting formation yesterday-I didn't see that coming. Reminded me of the way we played under Brian Little & how well it worked for us then. Its hard to pick out players, I thought they were all superb but the back 3 did exceptionally well considering the pressure we were put under. KEA has been a revelation this season & clearly it's his place to loose at present. The same will hopefully apply with Bacuna who has been excellent in the last 2 games. Kozac is another who has come in & done a job for us.

I'm a big fan of the 3 up front that we usually play with but the system yesterday has got me thinking. I know we'll probably use both in the future but I wouldn't like to pick one out of Weiman, Gabby & Kozac to partner CB though.

Watching the other teams on MOTD this morning, I didn't see many players outside of the top 8 or so who I would like bought in to replace anyone in our team. I think we're probably a bit stronger than some give us credit for.

Or the Premiership is very poor this season?

I'm not in any shape or form trying to detract from our win yesterday because it was a fantastic victory but so far there have been some very strange results and this could be the season that the usual stranglehold at the top may be broken?

I'd say it's the opposite.

The premiership is a lot stronger in the bottom teams than it used to be. This is because of the increase in TV money, newly promoted sides can go out and raid fairly big clubs in Europe for top players and spend £30m on new players with out breaking a sweat. No other league has that kind of money available. Then you get results like Swansea thrashing Valencia and Cardiff beating Man City, West Brom beating Man U etc. 

It is a credit that we are so competitive without spending as much as the likes of Norwich or Southampton etc

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 3

Worth noting it took us ten games to get to 9 points last year.

2w 3d 5l scored 8 conceded 14. West Ham a, Everton H, Newcastle a, Swansea H, Southampton a, WBA H, Spurs a, Fulham a, Norwich H, Sunderland a.

3w 0d 3l scored 9 conceded 8 after 6 this year. Arsenal a, Chelsea a, Liverpool H, Newcastle H, Norwich a, Man City H.

• Like 3

Don't think Lambert left Norwich for us because of budgets or money, I would expect it was to further develop his career at a much bigger club, which we arguably are.

ARGUABLY? The day those mustard  guzzlers from Norfolk are a bigger club than Villa will be when pigs fly! Lambert looked at the potential at Villa, the stadium, the training facilities, and the sheer class of the club and thought that will do for me.  Just like when Taylor left a good Watford side to come to us. The potential at Villa is frightening. If only someone could ever achieve it. For a promising British manager, getting the Villa job is still one of the best managerial jobs around.

If we have our first team and all players on form, we can beat anybody in the league.

I just doubt we will have the first team or all players on form for long periods and I am not sure we have enough quality to back it up.

I'd say we had 4 out yesterday, CB, Gabby, Westwood & Okore. On top of that we were able to drop Lowton.

Don't think Lambert left Norwich for us because of budgets or money, I would expect it was to further develop his career at a much bigger club, which we arguably are.

ARGUABLY? The day those mustard  guzzlers from Norfolk are a bigger club than Villa will be when pigs fly! Lambert looked at the potential at Villa, the stadium, the training facilities, and the sheer class of the club and thought that will do for me.  Just like when Taylor left a good Watford side to come to us. The potential at Villa is frightening. If only someone could ever achieve it. For a promising British manager, getting the Villa job is still one of the best managerial jobs around.

Aston Villa firing on all cylinders is a match for ANY job.   Don't listen to the hype and bullshit about Man Utd - pre the Premier League they were also-rans.  They're the media's go to club, their muse, if you will.  Think X Factor: no one gives a monkeys but it's in the papers every week filling up space and making money.  Man Utd are the football equivalent built up by the media as a means of making money, selling TV advertising space and filling pages of tedious newspapers.  One Direction are another example of such a media built cash cow.  A certain type of demographic (easily swayed by the media, lowish IQ, very young, impressionable etc.) gets sucked in by the coverage of these entities and simply hand over their cash making the marketing people and media companies behind them very rich and very happy.

May Villa never sell their soul to the media!

I absolutely agree with that. Our potentially is at the very top end. Not only do we have the infrastructure and the potential fan base but the city itself is evolving, it won't be long before a richer man comes along looking for a new toy. I hope Lambert is firmly embedded in the club by that point.

• Like 1

crikey, if I want a sermon, I'll go to church this morning, thanks. Some of us have been supporting this club for a lot longer than you lot have been on the scene and will have perspectives on the current regime that may not be totally in line with your thinking.

I think this is a site where people are free to express a range of views and should be able to do so without worrying what the club's management think.

The difference Briny, is that the people who (over) congratulate a win, don't seriously mention Champions League/ Title challenges/ Lambert being the Messiah.

Whereas, when some people (over) criticise a loss, they appear to seriously mention relegation/ Lambert out/ Lerner out/ tactics & signings not being good enough etc.

This really is reflected in Villa Park too. We were playing poorly Today, and the amount of people around me in the Holte saying "El Ahmadi is shit, get him off", "Bacuna is shit, get him off", "Weimann's been shit since last year, get rid!", "Another goal conceded from a corner. **** off Lambert".... Etc etc.. Despite that, we won.

(Those were genuine things all being shouted from people around me in the Upper Holte).

If we were a bit more patient or supportive in the ground then the players might not be so wary of the moans and groans in the ground if they misplace a difficult pass (but they are, so they seemingly don't try it as often as we should at home).

It was completely different when O'Neill was here. The fans were more optimistic, and even when we went behind, the fans still cheered and got behind the team. (so unless half of the people from 5 years ago have left and been replaced in the ground, attitudes have changes and people aren't as supportive as they were).

Interesting comments. I wonder why this is. Could it be that people are struggling more financially now and football doesn't come cheap and so the fans expect to be entertained.

Interesting formation yesterday-I didn't see that coming. Reminded me of the way we played under Brian Little & how well it worked for us then. Its hard to pick out players, I thought they were all superb but the back 3 did exceptionally well considering the pressure we were put under. KEA has been a revelation this season & clearly it's his place to loose at present. The same will hopefully apply with Bacuna who has been excellent in the last 2 games. Kozac is another who has come in & done a job for us.

I'm a big fan of the 3 up front that we usually play with but the system yesterday has got me thinking. I know we'll probably use both in the future but I wouldn't like to pick one out of Weiman, Gabby & Kozac to partner CB though.

Watching the other teams on MOTD this morning, I didn't see many players outside of the top 8 or so who I would like bought in to replace anyone in our team. I think we're probably a bit stronger than some give us credit for.

I'm not in any shape or form trying to detract from our win yesterday because it was a fantastic victory but so far there have been some very strange results and this could be the season that the usual stranglehold at the top may be broken?

The premiership is a lot stronger in the bottom teams than it used to be. This is because of the increase in TV money, newly promoted sides can go out and raid fairly big clubs in Europe for top players and spend £30m on new players with out breaking a sweat. No other league has that kind of money available. Then you get results like Swansea thrashing Valencia and Cardiff beating Man City, West Brom beating Man U etc. 

It is a credit that we are so competitive without spending as much as the likes of Norwich or Southampton etc

Yep have to agree that due to the extra finance available the second and third tier teams have closed the gap in terms of quality on the top six but have the top three been as good so far this season? You would have to agree no and that has also been a major contributing factor to the gap closing in terms of quality.

Overall though I still feel that the quality of football presented on the pitch has been poor hence my previous comment that this could very well be the season where the stranglehold at the top by the usual protagonists may be broken and it's a pity we do not at this moment in time have enough to take advantage.

I absolutely agree with that. Our potentially is at the very top end. Not only do we have the infrastructure and the potential fan base but the city itself is evolving, it won't be long before a richer man comes along looking for a new toy. I hope Lambert is firmly embedded in the club by that point.

I've had enough of being down near the bottom, we are potentially a massive club and will always be a big club, our name should be ringing out and putting the fear of god into people. I want somebody to come in and make it happen, to spend money and not expect it back. I am fed up of mights and maybes, I want to be up there again and to find out for myself what it feels like, instead of relying on stories.

Yep have to agree that due to the extra finance available the second and third tier teams have closed the gap in terms of quality on the top six but have the top three been as good so far this season? You would have to agree no and that has also been a major contributing factor to the gap closing in terms of quality.

Overall though I still feel that the quality of football presented on the pitch has been poor hence my previous comment that this could very well be the season where the stranglehold at the top by the usual protagonists may be broken and it's a pity we do not at this moment in time have enough to take advantage.

If we had a chairman good enough, he would see the lift door ajar and stick a foot in. Instead he'll climb the stairs, only to find the others have now got security on the door at the top as they got in first and we - like in 1992, 1996, 1998 and 2010 - missed our chance.

After seeing our lineup (shown as 3-5-2 on the telly) I thought McLeish was still around. 8 defensive minded players on the pitch.

What really stood out for me, though, was the celebration for our first 2 goals - both KEA and Bacuna ran straight to the bench, Bacuna embracing Lambert.

We have a team here. A real team. And you can thank Lambert for that.

Good times.

Edited by ozvillafan
  • Like 3

PL has had a pretty rough ride this past week

No he hasn't. He has massive support at games and mostly the media write nothing but positive things about him.

A few people share their opinions on this site. If that's a rough ride how would you describe what Mcleish dealt with?

Edited by Big_John_10

If we had a chairman good enough, he would see the lift door ajar and stick a foot in. Instead he'll climb the stairs, only to find the others have now got security on the door at the top as they got in first and we - like in 1992, 1996, 1998 and 2010 - missed our chance.

By good enough you mean rich enough, which is imo pathetic. 

I'm a big fan of the 3 up front that we usually play with but the system yesterday has got me thinking. I know we'll probably use both in the future but I wouldn't like to pick one out of Weiman, Gabby & Kozac to partner CB though.

Bet you hated it when Doug sold to a billionaire didn't you?

I'm a big fan of the 3 up front that we usually play with but the system yesterday has got me thinking. I know we'll probably use both in the future but I wouldn't like to pick one out of Weiman, Gabby & Kozac to partner CB though.

Bet you hated it when Doug sold to a billionaire didn't you?

Yes, Big John. But we all remember that billionaire came in and spent LOADS OF MONEY. No appreciation for nuance or anything that happened after that money was spent. (It's an old topic lets not go into it). 

Points progress ? Definitely

Football progress ? Not at all

You need to fix the latter to achieve things, unexpected results happen all the time (see Man City's result yesterday and at Cardiff for proof) but we need to improve MASSIVELY if we're ever going to trouble the top 6/8 ever again

The football is at times, is frankly dire as yesterday showed once again.

It's got to be fixed

• Like 2