• Vodafone - PAYG
    • Three - Monthly
    • Three - PAYG
    • Virgin - Monthly
    • Virgin - PAYG
    • GiffGaff
    • Ovivo
    • TalkTalk Mobile

I'm with Tesco. They're awesome. I originally had a pretty cheap £35p/m 12 month contract (and 12 month is just unheard of now) for an iPhone 4 and now for the last couple of years I've just had sim only rolling 1 month for £12.50 p/m. You're never on hold with their customer service and their customer service is British. Also the signal is great as they use the O2 signal and I've just never had any real problems with them. I wouldn't go with anyone else now. I've been with Orange, T-Mobile, O2, Virgin and Vodaphone but now I'm sticking with Tesco. They trump them all by a long way.

O2 signal > all in my experience.

I can't wait to get out of my current contract so that I can stay away from T Mobile and anything that uses the EE/Orange signal forever.

They claim to have 98% coverage. I must be bloody unlucky in that where I live/work/visit are all in that 2%, because I rarely have anything other than one bar.

Just got a text from EE saying they're changing their terms - anybody know if this gives you cancellation rights? I know it differs from company to company

You would have to read the terms and conditions in your contract I'm afraid. They often have scope to make changes to the terms and conditions and that can include price increases. They are akin to rent review clauses in leasehold agreements.

BUT, as of 23 January 2014, if you enter(ed) into a contract ON OR AFTER that date, then you have the right to leave your contract if the price of the contract goes up. This is as a result of new regulations from Ofcom. But these new rules do NOT work retrospectively.

There is a bit more information in this article: http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/jan/23/mobiles-users-quit-fixed-contracts-broadband-ofcom

Meanwhile in the US, carriers are moving away from subsidized phones on contract

How's this for gall? Take away hundreds of dollars in subsidies that cellphone customers have enjoyed for years. Then pass it off as an improvement.

The major U.S. wireless companies are doing just that. And many of their customers seem to like it.

The U.S. wireless industry is in the midst of a shake-up, sparked by T-Mobile's decision in March to stop subsidizing phones bought by its customers. National rivals followed with similar plans. Since then, U.S. carriers have been announcing new prices and plans every few weeks.

The move is essentially giving the customer more flexibility — at a price.

With subsidies, consumers typically pay $200 up front for a phone that costs $600 or more. Wireless companies make up the difference by padding the monthly service charges over the life of the two-year contract. Under that approach, customers save some money but are stuck with a phone for two years, which can be frustrating when a new model comes out just months or weeks later.

By forgoing subsidies, customers aren't locked into contracts and can upgrade more frequently.

Anyone in Brum on Three?

Is the signal OK for calls? Decent & consistent speeds on 4G/3G?

In Bromsgrove and sometimes in brum. 3 is amazingly good. I get HSDPA everywhere I go, even remote places, and I get some very fast speeds. I've personally got 24Mb down before but many people have got 50-60Mb which is faster than anyone seems to get on 4g.

I know the phrase "look after the pennies..." is a useful one. But when you're talking about +/- £50 over two years, just go with whatever suits you best.

In my opinion, now, that's to not be tied in to a contract. If you can afford to pay for the phone up front then do so, IMO. If not, choose your plan based on your needs. There's nothing worse than going over your minutes or data allowance, that's where they make the bucks.

Or not having signal, which is the pits.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

O2 signal > all in my experience.

I can't wait to get out of my current contract so that I can stay away from T Mobile and anything that uses the EE/Orange signal forever.

They claim to have 98% coverage. I must be bloody unlucky in that where I live/work/visit are all in that 2%, because I rarely have anything other than one bar.

EE is fantastic in London. O2 is a bit meh.

Anybody familiar with EE contracts know if you can upgrade to a better tariff for the remainder of your contract?

Never, ever getting a contract after this one, I promise that to myself this time.

Anybody familiar with EE contracts know if you can upgrade to a better tariff for the remainder of your contract?

Never, ever getting a contract after this one, I promise that to myself this time.

What do you mean by "better"?

They'd love to take more money off you! Give them a call.

What do you mean by "better"?

They'd love to take more money off you! Give them a call.

More data basically, I've used up my 1GB allowance twice in the last three months - think I'll be switching to a Three sim plan as soon as possible.

Edited by samjp26

I'm going to be in London this weekend and will go through more data than I can handle with regards to roaming costs for Sweden.

What do the good people of "VT Tech Room" suggest in terms of a pay upfront solution? And where does one buy such a thing? No calling required, just data.

I'm going to Majorca in May and I'm hiring a car. To get around I'll be using the sat nav on my phone which obviously works better with 3G.

Can anyone recommend a good Spanish PAYG data sim I can pre-buy? 

More boring Ingram questions:

S4 + Galaxy gear for £27pm + £48 upfront.

LG G2 + case for £27pm free phone

Or

HTC One for £27pm + £25 upfront.

I'm edging towards the G2 but that Samsung deal is tempting...

(All on T-Mobile, 500 mins, unltd data & texts, only thing is they are all 24 month contracts.

I'm going to Majorca in May and I'm hiring a car. To get around I'll be using the sat nav on my phone which obviously works better with 3G.

Can anyone recommend a good Spanish PAYG data sim I can pre-buy? 

What network are you on? I just used my regular EE sim, you can't rack up a big bill because your data is locked to whatever bundle limit you purchase. I can't remember the exact price but it wasn't too expensive.