• Virgin - Monthly
    • Virgin - PAYG
    • GiffGaff
    • Ovivo
    • TalkTalk Mobile

• 3 weeks later...

24 month contract.

And 100mb data per month.

Are there really people out there who buy a top of the line phone like this, and only ever use it when they have wifi access?

£649 for a phone with almost no data allowance and locked in for two years? I don't think that's a good deal.

They don't list a price for when you exceed 100MB. When, not if.

I get 125 mins per month, 500gb data, unlimited texts, unlimited calls to other Virgin phones. £7.00 per month.

Just got a Samsung Galaxy Ace to put the SIM in as my old iPhone decided to die. It's quite nice (I'm not a phone geek at all, I like cheapness in a contract)

Carphone Warehouse are doing another offer on the Samsung Galaxy S4 which ends on Sunday 9TH June. Free S4, £25 per month when you trade in your touch screen phone and 24 month contract.

Don't know any further details but maybe worth checking out if you're desperate to have the S4. 

• 2 weeks later...
Called Vodafone to get my PAC Code, of course they try to get me to sign up to a new contract, and to be honest they took the piss so bad I really will struggle to go back. They had 2 cracking deals for me.

1) 12 month sim only, 300 mins untld texts and 250mb data @ £15.50 a month

Then, I hinted I could be tempted with an S3 at the right price

2) S3 Blue, 600mins, unlimited texts and 500mb data... £29 (x 24 months). I said no, he left me on hold for 5 minutes whilst he saw what he could go, came back at £27 per month. Joker.

I'm sure in the old days they actually used to give you a good deal at this point? Anyway, I'm off to GiffGaff.
Edited by Tamuff_Villa

Network coverage depends entirely on where you live so you need to be a bit more specific considering your (presumably out of date) profile says you are located in Ireland.

For what it's worth, I'm with 3. I move about an awful lot in my job and use my phone on a daily basis all over Warwickshire, in Birmingham (central, east & south), along the M40 corridor all the way through Oxfordshire, Bucks and into London (central and west) and have found the coverage to be fine. I also go to Leeds quite a bit (north/north east of the city) and the signal there is beyond shit. So it depends on where you live.

Yes mate, try the IW :(

Fwiw, o2 monthly, 37.50 with unlimited mins and calls but 1gb data.

+

Three PAYGO £15 P/M just for the data.

Called Vodafone to get my PAC Code, of course they try to get me to sign up to a new contract, and to be honest they took the piss so bad I really will struggle to go back. They had 2 cracking deals for me.

1) 12 month sim only, 300 mins untld texts and 250mb data @ £15.50 a month

Then, I hinted I could be tempted with an S3 at the right price

2) S3 Blue, 600mins, unlimited texts and 500mb data... £29 (x 24 months). I said no, he left me on hold for 5 minutes whilst he saw what he could go, came back at £27 per month. Joker.

I'm sure in the old days they actually used to give you a good deal at this point? Anyway, I'm off to GiffGaff.

Vodafone have been on again, now offering me the sim only deal above for £8.40 and the S3 deal for £20.30. Told them to do one, too little too late.

Right guys, my OH is looking for a new contract. Key things are mobile web allowance and some kind of deal to make roaming cheaper (she goes abroad an awful lot all over the place). She rarely makes calls or sends texts, so free minutes and texts is pointless for her.  OK hive mind... GO!

If you're after value for money you'll struggle to beat This Deal with Talk Mobile (Vodafone Network).

250 mins

5000 Texts

500mb data

+

Huawei Ascend Y300 (Dual Core, Android 4.1, 5MP Camera with Flash, 4 InchScreen)

For only £7.70 a month (x24).

Also get £35 quidco cashback which makes it £6.24 a month (or £149.80 for the entire 2 year contract!).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not overly concerned about that.  One of the good things about living in Europe is that we have laws which stop corporations being (as) malevolent towards  their customers as they can be in North America. 

Couple of new phones on their way to casa Tamuff shortly.

Mrs Tamuff has plumped the for £7.70 Y300 deal I listed up the page

250 mins
5000 Texts
500mb data
+
Huawei Ascend Y300 (Dual Core, Android 4.1, 5MP Camera with Flash, 4 InchScreen)

With £35 cashback from quidco it mates it just £6.24 a month all in.

and I've gone for a new Galaxy S3, 300mins, unltd texts, 500mb data for £17 per month, handset is £14.99 but with £50 quidco cashback its just over £15 a month.

I'll flog my HTC One X for £160+ all being well.