• Vodafone - PAYG
    • Three - Monthly
    • Three - PAYG
    • Virgin - Monthly
    • Virgin - PAYG
    • GiffGaff
    • Ovivo
    • TalkTalk Mobile

Blocking VPNs on a mobile connection is pretty much a dealbreaker for me as well, they do it to try to stop people blocking their ads, apparently.

Doesn't stop actual ad blocking programs, but it goes some way to compromising the security of their users. Good job Ovivo.

• 1 month later...

My contract runs out in a month, Definitely switching provider and getting a deal through car phone warehouse as I need a new laptop, they are currently giving laptops away with a few phones, but the one I want is the Nokia, but its £44 a month, unlimited txts & calls + 6gb internet, problem is I won't use anywhere near that amount, atm I pay £26 for 1000mins, unlimited txts and 1gb internet which is plenty

Will I be able to change the tarrif with the Carphone warehouse & still get the laptop deal ot aren't the terms flexible?

Or you could get a cheaper deal and just buy a laptop. The monthly price is that high to pay for the laptop.

Get a 0% interest credit card, buy the phone and the laptop on it and get a SIM from giffgaff, ovivo or three.

The laptop they're "giving away" can be bought from Amazon for £325.

I assume it's a 24 month contract as most of them are now, so in comparison to your current contract you'll be paying an extra £432 for the £325 laptop and the extra data that it sounds like you won't use.

It's probably worth either seeing what upgrades you can get free or cheap on your current contract, or getting a sim-only deal and picking your own laptop instead of paying over the odds for Carphone Warehouse to pick one out for you.

Edited by Davkaus

• 2 weeks later...

Three have announced quite big rises in their "One Plan"

Increasing the £15 a month (on 12 month contract) deal to £20 and the 30-day deal from £18 to £23.  A £5.00 month increase seems pretty steep to me.

Just got a text from EE saying they're changing their terms - anybody know if this gives you cancellation rights? I know it differs from company to company

I think they are pretty much covered. A while ago Orange changed their terms and had to let everyone out of their contract early because of it if they asked to be - so since then they've been even hotter on that kind of thing. If you are within your contract period, it's tough, sadly. There are clauses in there allowing them to up the price which is ridiculous as it's not the fixed deal they sell it as. If you went to them and said you were going to start paying £1.25 less then they wouldn't have it.

• 3 weeks later...

Prices from Google shopping for HTC One 32GB in black or silver: £331.95

three 12 month all you can eat data 12 x £15 = £180

12 months = £511.95

18 months = £601.95

24 months = £991.95

Your deal 12 months = £324

Your deal 18 months = £486

Your deal 24 months = £648

t-mobile don't allow tethering, three do, so it isn't really like for like. Both have no usage cap.

Buying the phone yourself means it won't be locked or branded (and therefore have higher resale value), it also allows you to change contract after twelve months if a better tariff comes along.

It seems like a good deal, but personally I'll never have another contract phone.

t-mobile don't allow tethering, three do, so it isn't really like for like. Both have no usage cap.

Three only allow tethering on their "One Plan" which has a minimum cost of £20 if you sign a 12 month contract, else it's £23 a month.

I'm not quite sure what happened to your maths for the 24 month phone + Three Sim plan though.

Edited by Davkaus

I didn't know the prices had gone up. I'm still on the old prices, I guess the increase was only for new customers.

I've just checked my account and I have no idea how they are calculating it, but I'm paying £18 + some change each month. The tethering is useful to me (saves a second SIM in the tablet) and month by month means I can jump if someone else is cheaper.

24 month contract which isn't great but I'm hoping in a month or so it will be even cheaper due to the new One coming out.

Total cost is £698 due to £50 handset charge.

Other option is One mini, same deal but free handset + £50 tesco voucher so in effect its £598.

Buying the phone and getting a sim for 12 months (Three Internet 500 for eg.) would be approx £550. 24 months would be £765.

So it would cost me £70 extra over 24 months to NOT be locked into a contract.

Im not sure what to do. If I can get it in a few months for £25 I'll go for that but otherwise, I'm not sure.

My current contract is with T Mobile (about to run out) but the phone I got with it was unlocked/unbranded.

Don't know if they do that with all their phones, but they obviously do it with some.

So it would cost me £70 extra over 24 months to NOT be locked into a contract.

No, that was a comparison to my tariff, which as I said is not like for like. You'll have to do the legwork yourself. :)

Well, the Three Internet 500 sim is the one I'd go for which is £18 but which when you pay for the phone outright would be more expensive over 24 months BUT you have the flexibility of not being locked in a contract.

I'm gonna wait a few months, the new 'One' will be out by then and will hopefully bring the prices of the current One down a bit.

My head hurts.

• Like 1