The Deadwood Checklist

smetrov

Players who either a) aren't contributing at all, or B) are paid far more than they should be and would easily be sufficiently replaced by 2 players on half their wage are, imo:

Given (what's the point in a £55k a week cup goalkeeper)

Warnock (out of contract in summer anyway)

Dunne (would've been handy to have this season, but his injury screwed that up. Out of contract in June)

Ireland (defended him to the hilt and still think there's a great player in there somewhere, but on his wage we could easily get 2 players to do a better job, sadly)

NZogbia (great performance yesterday, but for the money he's on he needs to do that more than once every 18 months)

Albrighton (ruined by McLeish)

Delph (probably not on huge wages, but made of glass)

Bent (what's the point in having him if we're not going to play him)

Agbonlahor (yeah, he scored yesterday, but for the reported £60k a week he pockets we could get 3 players who'd outscore him 6:1 over the course of a season)

Based on the figures being chucked about, getting rid of that lot there would save us somewhere in the region of £450k a week, or £23m a year. It's not like there's a single one of them there contributing more than you'd expect from a £15k a week player either, so based on that (somewhat skewed) logic, those 9 out could afford us the luxury of bringing in:

30 players on £15k a week

22 players on £20k a week

18 players on £25k a week

15 players on £30k a week, or

13 players on £35k a week

Yes, we've cut a lot of the wages down, but christ almighty we're still getting the worst value for money in the league for our payroll

Players who either a) aren't contributing at all, or B) are paid far more than they should be and would easily be sufficiently replaced by 2 players on half their wage are, imo:

Given (what's the point in a £55k a week cup goalkeeper)

Warnock (out of contract in summer anyway)

Dunne (would've been handy to have this season, but his injury screwed that up. Out of contract in June)

Ireland (defended him to the hilt and still think there's a great player in there somewhere, but on his wage we could easily get 2 players to do a better job, sadly)

NZogbia (great performance yesterday, but for the money he's on he needs to do that more than once every 18 months)

Albrighton (ruined by McLeish)

Delph (probably not on huge wages, but made of glass)

Bent (what's the point in having him if we're not going to play him)

Agbonlahor (yeah, he scored yesterday, but for the reported £60k a week he pockets we could get 3 players who'd outscore him 6:1 over the course of a season)

Based on the figures being chucked about, getting rid of that lot there would save us somewhere in the region of £450k a week, or £23m a year. It's not like there's a single one of them there contributing more than you'd expect from a £15k a week player either, so based on that (somewhat skewed) logic, those 9 out could afford us the luxury of bringing in:

30 players on £15k a week

22 players on £20k a week

18 players on £25k a week

15 players on £30k a week, or

13 players on £35k a week

Yes, we've cut a lot of the wages down, but christ almighty we're still getting the worst value for money in the league for our payroll

If we can't pay those wages, we don't belong in the premier league. I prefer quality over quantity. 8-9 good players players over 30 shit ones.

If we can't pay those wages, we don't belong in the premier league. I prefer quality over quantity. 8-9 good players players over 30 shit ones.

I think you're completely missing the point. The wage paid to a player does not equal how good the player is. If your logic was true, then surely all those guys we're paying the big money to would be top players who contributed to the team. They are not, and they do not.

Westwood is probably on about 15k - he is more useful and effective for us than Ireland, Nzogbia, Delph and Albrighton, yet earns less than each of them

Vlaar is probably on about 25k - he is more useful and effective for us than Dunne, Warnock and Hutton, yet earns less than each of them

The problem isn't wages, the problem is getting value for the wages we DO pay. There are more than enough very, very good players who would take, or currently earn, 25-30k a week to get us top 8 in the premier league - it's finding them that's the tricky part. We could have an entire squad that performs far, far better than the current one, for the cost of those NINE players above (10 if we add in Hutton, who I forgot)

Hutton

Ireland

Warnock

Bannan

N'Zogbia (Despite his recent good form)

Delfouneso

Makoun (If he isn't going to play for us)

Dunne

Lichaj

Albrighton

Holman

Obviously they can't all go at once (Well maybe :D no) but these are the ones by then end of next season (Or maybe the next one after that) I'd like to see gone with replacements having come in.

I'd like to be sure after recent seasons that we are not adding to them.

For me, the deadwood is as follows:

Warnock - never going to play for us again yet we'll still be paying him up until the summer. At least then he'll be gone.

Dunne - overpaid and perenially injured. Contract runs out in the summer, so another player leaving for nothing but frees up wages.

Hutton - as per Warnock, will never set foot into the first team set-up. Unfortunately, too shit to shift due to high wages and awful skill as a footballer. Bad feeling he'll be with us next season.....

Ireland - way too much money for how he's currently used. Obviously not fancied by the manager so may as well try to cash in.

Other than that, we have some players who are just plainly paid too much but can have an impact within the team. I'd put Bent, N'Zogbia, Given and even Gabby in that bracket.

Get rid of ASAP:

Warnock

Hutton

Bent (I think Weimann does his job much better and cheaper)

Ireland

Makoun

Delfouneso (useless)

Get rid of as soon as we have a replacement

Dunne

Given (much cheaper 2nd choice keeper needed)

Lichaj (surely we can find a better reserve FB)

Stevens (see above)

Bannan

N'Zogbia (get rid whilst we can still get a fee and get someone more consistent and cheaper)

Albrighton

Gabby (too inconsistent and wages are way too high - probably move him off to the north east!)

There is simply too many there to get rid of in one transfer window, although I would expect at least 6 or 7 to go given the states of contracts and playing time this season. However, I think there is some resale value there, ut no more than £30m, which doesn't come close to replacing them all. This is why Bent and Ireland made the top list, as they would probably command some fees, and maybe Gabby and N'Zogbia are the others for whom we can get decent money.

Next season is the last chance for:

Clark - either step up or be a squad player

Bennett - deserves a second season

KEA - deserves a second season

Holman - deserves a second season

Herd - settle for him being a squad player

Delph - looked OK in some games, either step up or be a squad player

Good luck Paul!

Spot on, PL has a job on.

Other than that, we have some players who are just plainly paid too much but can have an impact within the team. I'd put Bent, N'Zogbia, Given and even Gabby in that bracket.

I agree that those players can haven impact with the team. Therefore I would really hope none of them are sold this January window. We must use all players available that can give us one or three points extra.

And if ther rumours are true that Bent can not get more Premier League games due to some extra payment of 6 mill to Sunderland. **** that. Even if he will be sold in the summer for 10 mill. We must not let such things affect the number of players Lambert can choose. It was Houllier that bought Bent, and an extra outlay of him should have no effect on Lambert's budget.

This is the Davies story again and show how incompetent our club has been and is being run.

May be easier to look at who isn't deadwood lol!

Do we actually have a first 11 including no deadwood or any of the players listed above?

I'll have a go

Guzan

Lowton

Vlaar

Baker

Westwood

Benteke

Weimann

Nope ..can't do it!

That just about says everything

1. More to add to the list of ...not deadwood, but players we are paying who are not able to play, of course is Petrov sadly. At least i assume he is still on the payroll?..you would hope so anyway unless there is some kind of insurance cover in his situation?

players we are paying who are not able to play, of course is Petrov sadly. At least i assume he is still on the payroll?..you would hope so anyway unless there is some kind of insurance cover in his situation?

I doubt we're paying for Petrov out of club funds any more. It's most likely insurance paying for him, and he's out of contract in June. Callous as it sounds, but that'll be another £55k off the wage bill if it's not already

Edited by P3te

This thread isn't really about "deadwood", it's largely just become lists of players people don't rate and would prefer to see replaced with better. (P3te's post is an exception - at least he has tried to give some criteria)

So maybe the title should be changed to "Write out a list of players you don't rate"

This thread isn't really about "deadwood", it's largely just become lists of players people don't rate and would prefer to see replaced with better. (P3te's post is an exception - at least he has tried to give some criteria)

So maybe the title should be changed to "Write out a list of players you don't rate"

Agreed.

Deadwood? Hutton, Warnock, Makoun.

None of these are likely to be used by Lambert and each is on high(er) wages. Whether people rate others or not - they have been and likely will continue to be used by Lambert. Ergo they are not deadwood.

His goal yesterday was his 5th of the season, we couldn't sign three 30 goal a season men for 60k a week!!

Given

Hutton

Warnock

Lichaj

Dunne

Bannan

Makoun

Albrighton

Holman

Ireland

Fonz

Totally agree I would also add Delph to the list also but realisitically we wont get rid of them all as we would have to replace to many, dont have enough money and some of them we will find hard to move on

Â