The Deadwood Checklist

smetrov

Last season, we had to get the high earners of the books, so Heskey and Cuellar departed - great the pruning process is complete. How the process of getting rid of the high earners continues unabated (Quite where this policy is taking us I shudder to think) - so who are the current deadwood - perhaps we can keep this thread updated - as I sure next season the deadwood will have some new members

For me the deadwood as at 20/01/2013

Hutton

Ireland

...Feel free to add your own....

Hutton

Ireland

Warnock

Bannan

N'Zogbia (Despite his recent good form)

Delfouneso

Makoun (If he isn't going to play for us)

Dunne

Lichaj

Albrighton

Holman

Obviously they can't all go at once (Well maybe :D no) but these are the ones by then end of next season (Or maybe the next one after that) I'd like to see gone with replacements having come in.

If you consider 'Deadwood' as just those earning high wages regardless of their ability then you probably need to add Bent, Dunne, Warnock, N'Zogbia, Given and Agbonlahor to that list.

If 'Deadwood' also includes those that are no use then the list could be endless.

:)

Warnock - will be gone end of season

Dunne - whilst could be useful now til end if season, will be gone end of season

Hutton - no one will want

Ireland - no one will want

Makoun - will stay loaned out in France but we are probably still paying some wages

I think basically any player over 23 who predates Lambert's regime would be offloaded if we had offers, with exception of Guzan. That means:

Hutton, Warnock, Dunne, Given, Makoun, Holman, N'Zogbia, Ireland, Bent

they're not all deadwood exactly, but they are the ones I certainly can't see being here too much longer.

Agbonlahor would be borderline. Wages are probably well out of line with the squad they trying to build.

deadwood, not required, either too old, on too high wages or just generally not good enough to continue at this club

given - on too high wages

warnock - seems hes not needed

dunne - past his best, on high wages

hutton - also seems to not be wanted

makoun - has shown complete disreagard to his employer - this club

ireland - attitude stinks, only performs when theres a chance to attract attention

bannan - we could find better

delph - my dead granddad could play better than him, hes been dead over 30 years

delfouneso - lol

I would want to put Hutton, Dunne and Warnock on the deadwood list

but i actually think due to the current state of our defence they have a role to play

but in an ideal world i dont want any of these players to play for us again:

Ireland

Hutton

Dunne

Warnock

Bannan

Makoun

Albrighton

Stevens

Lichaj

they are either shit, old and past it or never going to be good enough

but simply none of them can go if we fail to get any more players in

The definition of "deadwood" seems to be getting broader as we go along. Three of the posts above want us shed nine players. What's the plan here, guys? Where's the dosh coming from to replace nine whole squad members?

There's also a risk that "deadwood" comes to mean any player who has premier league experience. This leaves me a little concerned to say the least.

The definition of "deadwood" seems to be getting broader as we go along. Three of the posts above want us shed nine players. What's the plan here, guys? Where's the dosh coming from to replace nine whole squad members?

There's also a risk that "deadwood" comes to mean any player who has premier league experience. This leaves me a little concerned to say the least.

Why? it's not like they will leave this month.

In the summer big changes will happen i'd imagine.. contracts will run out etc.

Investment wise.. well.

Certainly wouldn't include either Herd or Delph as deadwood, Delph has been playing better recently and still has time on his side if he can stay injury free. The same can be said about Herd as long as he isn't deployed as a central defender. We wouldn't have dropped 2 points yesterday if Herd had been available to replace Delph when he went off injured.

Hutton

Ireland

Warnock

Bannan

N'Zogbia (Despite his recent good form)

Delfouneso

Makoun (If he isn't going to play for us)

Dunne

Lichaj

Albrighton

Holman

Obviously they can't all go at once (Well maybe :D no) but these are the ones by then end of next season (Or maybe the next one after that) I'd like to see gone with replacements having come in.

Thought exactly the same with stevens added to that list aswell

Get rid of ASAP:

Warnock

Hutton

Bent (I think Weimann does his job much better and cheaper)

Ireland

Makoun

Delfouneso (useless)

Get rid of as soon as we have a replacement

Dunne

Given (much cheaper 2nd choice keeper needed)

Lichaj (surely we can find a better reserve FB)

Stevens (see above)

Bannan

N'Zogbia (get rid whilst we can still get a fee and get someone more consistent and cheaper)

Albrighton

Gabby (too inconsistent and wages are way too high - probably move him off to the north east!)

There is simply too many there to get rid of in one transfer window, although I would expect at least 6 or 7 to go given the states of contracts and playing time this season. However, I think there is some resale value there, ut no more than £30m, which doesn't come close to replacing them all. This is why Bent and Ireland made the top list, as they would probably command some fees, and maybe Gabby and N'Zogbia are the others for whom we can get decent money.

Next season is the last chance for:

Clark - either step up or be a squad player

Bennett - deserves a second season

KEA - deserves a second season

Holman - deserves a second season

Herd - settle for him being a squad player

Delph - looked OK in some games, either step up or be a squad player

Good luck Paul!

Â