The Deadwood Checklist

smetrov

I have no idea trying to overestimate where possible.  Exactly what PL is trying to do imo.  Same goes with Benteke and Bent.

It all depends on RL's plans and if he is still going to be a fool about our finances.  Bent, Dunne and Given are the obvious ones to leave.  Ireland may be more difficult.  Still gives us sufficient wages to rebuild a good squad.

If you're on a cost cutting mission, I doubt we will bring the wage bill up to what it is currently. Given that Lerner wouldn't fund players in our hour of need - I shudder to think what scope Lambert will have in the summer - even if we manage to stay up.

The cost cutting must end - if it doesn't we won't stay in the prem - be that this season or next - the cost cutting will take us to the championship - just a question of when

If our current wage level is the cap we can sustainably stay in the PL. It's because of the contracts we already handed out that we're hamstrung at the moment.

I think Omariqy is making the point that if we can go and get the likes of Benteke, Vlaar, Guzan, Westwood etc. for the money they're on then surely we can go and get a lot more of the same with the wages freed up when Bent, Dunne, Ireland, Hutton, Makoun, and Given are permanently off the books. If we can have three Bentekes for the price of one Bent or five Westwoods for the price of one Ireland then of course you can build a team good enough for the PL even taking into account the signings that don't work out. 

Whilst there's clearly question marks over a few of PL's signings I reckon Benteke, Lowton, Westwood and Guzan have all increased their value since they've been here - and that's after a absolute shocker of a season so far.

What you don't see I think is that we will get rid of 1 Bent sized wage and replace with one Benteke sized wage or get rid one one Ireland wage and bring in one Westwood wage. This is all about reduction of the wage bill not keeping it the same? Randy wants to replace one high earner with one low earner. This is fine if every Ireland is replaced with a Westwood, quite easy as Ireland could be replaced by the old empty crisp packet and every Bent is replaced by a Benteke not so easy, the trouble is we haven't replaced Cuellar Dunne and Collins properly.

Randy only wants to pay Championship therefore that's what we are getting and he is hoping that we manage to survive with this policy, he looks at Norwich, Southampton, West Ham and Newcastle and they are all full of players on Championship wages.Trouble is they know how to run a football club and Lerner has no idea!

Describing Bent as deadwood is indeed ridiculous and is the sort of thing makes Villa fans a little bit of a laughing stock amongst other fans.

When Bent plays well, he scores 1 goal every 2 games. We desperately need that goal power now. I would say this is a test of whether we can be a grown-up club capable of competing in the top half of the premier league or higher, and a test of whether Lambert can be an effective manager of teams with properly talented (if somewhat temperamental) players or if he can only deal with eager young players without proven premiership quality.

If he's not playing he's not contributing and not scoring, so yes, he's deadwood - unless the manager is actually going to use him in the future, in which case he's not

Describing Bent as deadwood is indeed ridiculous and is the sort of thing makes Villa fans a little bit of a laughing stock amongst other fans.

When Bent plays well, he scores 1 goal every 2 games. We desperately need that goal power now. I would say this is a test of whether we can be a grown-up club capable of competing in the top half of the premier league or higher, and a test of whether Lambert can be an effective manager of teams with properly talented (if somewhat temperamental) players or if he can only deal with eager young players without proven premiership quality.

If he's not playing he's not contributing and not scoring, so yes, he's deadwood - unless the manager is actually going to use him in the future, in which case he's not

Well, he did bring him on last Sunday, as part of a change that turned the game our way, so I remain more hopeful than you that Lambert can be a grown-up manager who can make us a grown-up team.

I'd love to see bent back in the team and scoring, and I hope he can do it under Lambert, but you asked how Bent was considered deadwood and I answered. Players who aren't contributing and aren't likely to contribute are most certainly deadwood and should be moved on. Right now it looks like Bent is part of that group, sadly

bent is still somewhere around team, so i wouldnt say hes deadwood, more of a super sub

players like dunne, whos never going to play for us again, makoun, who doesnt want to play for us and ireland, who will play to get a move, are deadwood

even given i wouldnt consider as deadwood as such as hes still of us, but considering his age and how much hes on, then hes kinda rotten wood that needs to be moved on 

The deadwood are the players who earn too much per week or are generally piss poor. In some cases they fall into both categories and we have lots of them! 

Given, Dunne, Bennett, Stevens, Lichaj, Makoun, Bannan, Herd, Allbrighton, Ireland, Bent, Hutton, Delfonesou, Bowery, Gabby 

Who I think will leave (slight variation on the theme I know)

If we stay up:

Given (£2m), Marshall (free), Dunne (free), Lichaj (£500k), Hutton (£750k), Makoun (£2m), Bent (£10m), Benteke (£25m).

That's £40m in and some big wages out. I'd expect some serious spending in this instance and would be extremely peeved if we didn't see it (even though I'd rather we kept Benteke)

If we go down:

Given (£1m), Guzan (£5m), Marshall (free), Hutton (£500k), El Ahmadi (£1.5m), Makoun (£1m), Bent (£8m), Benteke (£15m)

So I think we'd lose a fair bit of value on the players we sell if we go down, as well as losing all the TV money and other income streams.

Financially we should be in a pretty strong position to build if we stay up. It really would be in our interests to do so!

Â