Best and Worst Xmas Songs

bickster

One of my favourite bands have just covered that for a charity Xmas album.

That's not me suggesting you listen to it by the way Rob, lest ye put your fist through the monitor or something. ;)

It's not a bad effort actually

Some right humbugs in here!

I generally like most of them... make me feel festive. Only one I don't like is Paul McCartney!

My favourite three are Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Pogues (although as Rev says, vastly overplayed) and John Lennon.

Another Rock and Roll Christmas by Gary Glitter is quite good as well!

Actually, VT can help settle an argument I'm having with the missus at the moment;

FGTH's 'The Power Of Love' is a Christmas song, is it not? :suspect:

I'm pretty sure it's not, I seem to remember it being mentioned on one of these Christmas countdown programmes as it just being a hit at Christmas that particular year.

Same with Stop the Cavalry, apparently that wasn't meant as a Christmas song but as it mentioned Christmas and had bells in it, it was taken as one.

I'm pretty sure it's not, I seem to remember it being mentioned on one of these Christmas countdown programmes as it just being a hit at Christmas that particular year.

Same with Stop the Cavalry, apparently that wasn't meant as a Christmas song but as it mentioned Christmas and had bells in it, it was taken as one.

The video to Power Of Love is basically the Nativity? So I think that qualifies it as a Christmas song.

The video to Power Of Love is basically the Nativity? So I think that qualifies it as a Christmas song.

A quick Google search suggests that the video was just the idea of the record company and that the song was written as a love ballad rather than a Christmas song. I don't think the song mentions anything Christmas or nativity related so I would argue it isn't really...

shakin stevens and elton john for me

im only like slade and wizard right at the end so i'll love it tonight but in the 1st weekend of december they just dont feel right

MC, wham and FoNY are ridiculously overplayed

im not having stay another day, never considered it a christmas song, same with s club 7 and 2 become 1

shame no one ever plays bob dylan must be santa, so bad its good

A quick Google search suggests that the video was just the idea of the record company and that the song was written as a love ballad rather than a Christmas song. I don't think the song mentions anything Christmas or nativity related so I would argue it isn't really...

The song had a winter release (late November), had a nativity based video and is played every Christmas time without fail. Therefore I think it qualifies as a Christmas song, even if it wasn't intentionally penned as one by Holly Johnson. Lets call it an adopted Christmas song ;)

Edited by Xela

shakin stevens and elton john for me

im only like slade and wizard right at the end so i'll love it tonight but in the 1st weekend of december they just dont feel right

MC, wham and FoNY are ridiculously overplayed

im not having stay another day, never considered it a christmas song, same with s club 7 and 2 become 1

shame no one ever plays bob dylan must be santa, so bad its good

Good call on Shakey and Elton. Both good Christmas songs

I do like Stay Another Day and do consider it a bona fide Christmas song... mainly because of the festive bells in it.

Actually, VT can help settle an argument I'm having with the missus at the moment;

FGTH's 'The Power Of Love' is a Christmas song, is it not? :suspect:

No , unless you think Pet Shop Boys "always on my mind" is a Christmas record as well

Best- Vince Guaraldi Trio

I agree. If there's a better single artist Christmas album, I've not heard it.

is lovely.

Also go along with theboyangel: Kitsch, Easy and light orchestral gear is good this time of year.

makes me want to buy some Ovaltine and curl up around the radiogram, in front of the fire.

Olde Skool - Praetorius Christmas Mass.

Edited by Xann

the best part of xmas for me is the xmas songs, i love all of them, except anything made by cliff richard lol

although cant say i agree with this years number 1, cant be classic xmas songs on the radio :-)

Â