• Westwood
    • Holman
    • Lichaj
    • Weimann
    • Benteke
    • Bennett (for Lichaj 56)
    • Ireland (for Westwood 56)
    • Bowery (for Holmen 79)

Alternatively, it's because not everyone can see where we are going, well apart from down potentially. 3 of our unbeaten run consisted of woeful displays against QPR, Reading and Stoke. Are we all supposed to see those performances and think WOW ?

Today has been coming, even last week against Liverpool we could've conceeded 4. Against a better side, we would have, We are not bossing the midfield or using the ball well enough to my mind. Defensively we've had to shunt 3 centre backs in to do the job of 2 as none of them are good enough to play in a central pairing week in week out.

Today was garbage from the first whistle. Defensively we didn't seem to have a clue how to play against their one striker, and lost the midfield battle completely. We couldn't hold the ball up top and apart from Guzan, who himself wasn't great they'd all get a 2/10 from me

That's the worst result in our entire history. A proud day for sure. Some people think Lerner, Faulkner and Lambert know what they're doing. But I look at the table and have my doubts. BIG doubts

has anyone actually said it is a proud day?

We really desperately need a six foot four destroyer who can place himself in front of our back four and steady the ship. The youth of our defence means that they aren't able to close out a defeat and protect a scoreline like older players do - when we're losing, we're always in danger of losing big - today's result was like a reserves result and there's a reason for that - it's a bold gamble to persevere with, and the danger is that in learning the lessons we'll destroy the players.

We looked like a team that had read lots of nice things about themselves this week and decided they'd made it, Chelsea on the other hand looked like a team with something to prove. They are a top class outfit, possibly the best in the country, but we made it easy for them today - maybe this slap in the chops will be good for our players in the long term - at the moment though, it just feels like sore chops.

ditto

We were deserved winners at Liverpool. Just because we were shit and deserved the beating we got today doesn't mean last week's result wasn't deserved.

So? Fact is we've been hammered by 5 goals or more quite a few times over the past few years. Yes 8-0 is obviously the worst but that doesn't change the fact that we've been prone to getting hammered way before this season.

And who has argued that it does change that fact?

Your point makes no sense.

Somewhere out there is some poor bastard who has spent the whole day dragging round the shops with the missus and studiously avoided the result so that he can watch it on Match of the Day.

I am one of those "poor bastards" - recorded it on SKY, got home just after 6, watched first half to 3-0, hoped we might make a spirited comeback or at least stem the tide in the 2nd half, but once No.4 & 5 went in I just kept fast forwarding! Couldn't bear to watch the intervening play!

Lambert got it badly wrong today. Moses made mincemeat of Lichaj! Wing backs may have worked on the counter against L'Pool but today it was completely wrong!

Terrible display, but funnily enought think we could still get a result against Spurs!

But Lambert has to get the tactics right.

And who has argued that it does change that fact?

Your point makes no sense.

All I'm saying is that of course people would be more likely to make a big deal out of a Villa 8-0 win than a Villa 8-0 defeat because we have shown over the years that we are much more prone to getting hammered than we are to hammering other teams.

Horrid Result. It shouldnt happen, but it can at places like Stamford Bridge.

They had 22 shots and scored 8. Thats pretty impressive. They will have games where they have 22 shots and score 3 and win just as comfortably just less emphatically. And nobody will bat an eyelid.

Our season will not hinge on a performance/result away at Chelsea. We got stuffed 7-0 there and finished 6th.

I am one of those "poor bastards" - recorded it on SKY, got home just after 6, watched first half to 3-0, hoped we might make a spirited comeback or at least stem the tide in the 2nd half, but once No.4 & 5 went in I just kept fast forwarding! Couldn't bear to watch the intervening play!

Lambert got it badly wrong today. Moses made mincemeat of Lichaj! Wing backs may have worked on the counter against L'Pool but today it was completely wrong!

Terrible display, but funnily enought think we could still get a result against Spurs!

But Lambert has to get the tactics right.

Did the same, fast forwarded it from 2-0 during which Miss Woodytom told me the score.

It should be noted that Chelsea were playing like a world class side today. That first goal from Torres was a cut above. We didn't cover ourselves with glory, but the way Chelsea were playing, they'd have beaten every other team in the division.

Lichaj is absolutely awful, don't know why he's still at this club

You say that like we are a level above him? Weve hardly got a crop of world class full backs in the ranks. Hes still at the club because we, (at this very moment in time) are shit! Id of thought over the last 3 years you would have clicked onto that.

• Like 1

The most one sided hammering we ever have had in the PL era.

Not a single positive from that, even Benteke looked shit.

PL era my foot. It wasn't just the PL era but entire history.

Less than half a season into his tenure, Lambert has overseen the worst ever defeat in the club's entire history. Time to **** off. Next better manager please.

we didnt play liverpool off the park last week. we had many of the same issues as we had this week- attacking midfielders running from deep and cutting us open, unable to keep the ball for large spells in the game. positioning and communication very suspect as fullbacks and midfield were pulled all over the place at times.

however we beat liverpool because our finishing was far far better than theirs, and as TRO has pointed out, we showed some really committed last ditch defending. and because of that we deserved the 3 points.

however, getting a win like that from that style of play is the exception rather than the rule and that was shown today. If you keep giving the opposition room, if you let them cut through you and fashion chances you will get beaten more often than not. especially if you lack commitment in terms of pressing and tackling. the formation was clearly not working today (i wasnt a fan of it either last week although we got the result) - the players were all over the place and didnt seem to know who to mark. it was disappointing that lambert did nothing to change it up.

well said Andy

well worth listening to as difficult as it is to accept.

It should be noted that Chelsea were playing like a world class side today. That first goal from Torres was a cut above. We didn't cover ourselves with glory, but the way Chelsea were playing, they'd have beaten every other team in the division.

but not 8-0

Worst player was Bannan, absolutely terrible. Couldn't find anyone in Claret and Blue to save his life, the fact he stayed on the whole game really irked me.

Doesn't surprise me to see defenders such as Herd and Lichaj unable to cope with Chelsea, they are not good enough for this level. Many others obviously need to improve but the 3 players I've mentioned should be nowhere near a starting spot.

We desperately need a DM destroyer, Vlaar back at CB and probably another CB and LB in Jan. Although Bennett deserves another chance I'm not sure it can be this season as we already have too many players learning their trade at this level and that could cost us.

Â