U.S. Politics

maqroll

This is so **** wrong. It's the start of a dictatorship.

The upset to the existing order caused by the presidential election has been acutely felt by no one, perhaps, so much it has by the national press. At Donald Trump's press conference on Wednesday, reporters found themselves not only subject to a scolding ("Fake news!" "Disgraceful!") but also awakened to the strong suggestion that, at least in tactical terms, the showdown had been won by the president-elect.

The media's sense of dislocation may soon become literal.

According to three senior officials on the transition team, a plan to evict the press corps from the White House is under serious consideration by the incoming Trump Administration. If the plan goes through, one of the officials said, the media will be removed from the cozy confines of the White House press room, where it has worked for several decades. Members of the press will be relocated to the White House Conference Center—near Lafayette Square—or to a space in the Old Executive Office Building, next door to the White House.

"There has been no decision," Sean Spicer, Trump's press secretary, said about the plan today. But Spicer acknowledged that "there has been some discussion about how to do it."

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a52301/trump-evict-press-white-house/

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

This is so **** wrong. It's the start of a dictatorship.

Good night, was it? In America they have this thing called the Consitution which makes the whole dictatorship concept a bit tricky. 

Moving the Press to a new location outside the White House doesn't foreshadow a fascist takeover. Relax.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Awol said:

Good night, was it? In America they have this thing called the Consitution which makes the whole dictatorship concept a bit tricky. 

Moving the Press to a new location outside the White House doesn't foreshadow a fascist takeover. Relax.

They also have something called the EC which is meant to protect the country from a potentially demagogic authoritarian like Trump. Kicking out the free press is a scary move. Especially considering the attacks on the press that him and his team have engaged in so far.

23 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Surely you don't mean that. 

If you could go back in time and stop Ozzy meeting Sharon to avoid the terrible horrific things that followed, would you? 

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I can't see how addressing the press in a different location is foreshadowing a dictatorship. 

You don't see how attacking the free press and kicking them out of the Whitehouse is a authoritarian move? Did you read the article?

"They are the opposition party," a senior official says. "I want 'em out of the building. We are taking back the press room."

How is that not scary?

Edited by StefanAVFC

1 minute ago, Ingram85 said:

If you could go back in time and stop Ozzy meeting Sharon to avoid the terrible horrific things that followed, would you? 

If it's fate that he got shot fair enough but it doesn't sit comfortably with me people saying they wish someone would get shot and killed. Deep down you probably don't mean it because I don't think your really like that. I love the ozzy comparison though :D he probably would of been dead along time ago without her. 

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

'Attacking the press', yes, 'talking to them in a different conference room' no. 

Moving them is an indirect attack on them, especially when it's accompanied with statements like 'they're the opposition, we're taking back the press room'.

You know who sees the free press as the opposition? Authoritarians. This isn't normal.

I don't really mean it as like Chindie points out, another hobgoblin will appear out the shadows to replace him, then one to replace the replacement and so on. It's a futile endeavour.

I was just posting out of despair and disgust at the state of the world. Hate rules us and divides us. And I'm no exception I guess. 

• Like 1

Moving the press into a different room? Pol Pot would be proud.

I know he has a dislike for CNN, but isn't that down to them leaking questions to Hilary in order to assist her in the debates? Is that what the 'free press' does?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

I know he has a dislike for CNN, but isn't that down to them leaking questions to Hilary in order to assist her in the debates?

No. He attacked them at his press conference for running a report on the dossier about Trump's connections with Russia. Even though, they posted no details about the report.

This describes it better.

And Trump can hardly talk about leaks, when he banged on about WikiLeaks over 150 times in the election. He can either love leaks, or hate them. Not cheer when they help him, but be so rabid against them when they hurt him.

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Moving the press into a different room? Pol Pot would be proud.

You know that isn't the point. We both know this isn't simply a case of 'moving them into a different room'. For one, you're wrong because they would be moved into a different building and your interpretation is grossly simplistic.

20 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Moving them is an indirect attack on them, especially when it's accompanied with statements like 'they're the opposition, we're taking back the press room'.

You know who sees the free press as the opposition? Authoritarians. This isn't normal.

17 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I don't really mean it as like Chindie points out, another hobgoblin will appear out the shadows to replace him, then one to replace the replacement and so on. It's a futile endeavour.

I was just posting out of despair and disgust at the state of the world. Hate rules us and divides us. And I'm no exception I guess. 

Of course, and the next guy would be worse. It would play into certain people's hands if trump ever did get bumped off, similar to how we play into the terrorists hands by bombing the **** out of them. Trump is only the poster, it's what's behind it that is much worse.

I'm finding it difficult to disentangle the geopolitical sparring between two global superpowers, and the personal dynasty building agendas of the two narcissistic billionaire premiers.

Edited by Xann
Wrong prem
  • Like 2

Â