U.S. Politics

maqroll

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Why were reporters giving applause, especially when he was berating another reporter wtf

They want to keep their place at the Donald Trump dinner table. They should be speaking out about it all, but they are gutless. 

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

So with the population of the US at around 330 million, in your view (according to the U6) the unemployment is 33 million. So what possible justification could Trump have for saying it was actually 96million. Unless it was an outright lie.

I quite specifically did not mention 96m, e.g., see the link below for where that number comes from, though it's not anywhere as simple as they suggest.

"However, the 90 million number is padded, since this number includes a lot of Americans who wouldn’t be expected to be working. Specifically:..."

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2013/jul/30/blog-posting/are-90-million-americans-not-working-or-looking-wo/

And to nitpick somewhat. (i) Somewhere between 30-60% of students have part time jobs. (ii) The 2008 crash wiped out the savings of many many olde timers and a simple visit to your local home depot/lowes/meijer etc., will show plenty of these folks still working. So they should be counted in some fashion... non-trivial I acknowledge.

The point I was making was about how Trump appealed to those who have been screwed over by the alleged recovery. Obama sells his record of +2m jobs per year during his term, which is indeed a record amount of consistent growth; however, the elephant in the room is the "quality" of these jobs, e.g., the zero-hour/uber/bartenders&waiters recovery. In terms of quality of life that we would like as a society for everyone to have: if the only job available is a part time job, what are the consequences. I think we are getting the answer. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DK82 said:

They want to keep their place at the Donald Trump dinner table. They should be speaking out about it all, but they are gutless. 

Plenty of new media are quite happy to CNN getting flamed! Some "principles", some plain old capitalism.

1 minute ago, villakram said:

The point I was making was about how Trump appealed to those who have been screwed over by the alleged recovery. Obama sells his record of +2m jobs per year during his term, which is indeed a record amount of consistent growth; however, the elephant in the room is the "quality" of these jobs, e.g., the zero-hour/uber/bartenders&waiters recovery. In terms of quality of life that we would like as a society for everyone to have: if the only job available is a part time job, what are the consequences. I think we are getting the answer. 

That's a fair point. But your original point didn't really indicate anything close to that.

(i) Somewhere between 30-60% of students have part time jobs. (ii) The 2008 crash wiped out the savings of many many olde timers and a simple visit to your local home depot/lowes/meijer etc., will show plenty of these folks still working. So they should be counted in some fashion... non-trivial I acknowledge.

So you argue that people of retirement age who are working (for any myriad of reasons) or students with part time jobs should be counted as unemployed? I'm not sure I follow.

27 minutes ago, Chindie said:

You have to laugh.

The alternative is to enter a never ending descent into despair at humanity that that thing is now the most powerful man in the world.

Not yet he isn't.

Just now, TheAuthority said:

That's a fair point. But your original point didn't really indicate anything close to that.

So you argue that people of retirement age who are working (for any myriad of reasons) or students with part time jobs should be counted as unemployed? I'm not sure I follow.

That's fair... standard forum point making issue on my behalf there I'm afraid.

I'm not arguing for that, more trying to point out that this is so and a large number of people are getting screwed over by the current economy. I'm not arguing that they should be counted an un-employed, but one could argue if they are employed, i.e., living wage? This is a much larger discussion that is not being had because we're all focussed on the clown act.

2 minutes ago, villakram said:

This is a much larger discussion that is not being had because we're all focussed on the clown act.

I agree. I just believe that there is something more sinister at work behind the clown act. He and his administration aren't going to fix these problems and the people that voted for him have been duped if they think he is.

1 minute ago, TheAuthority said:

I agree. I just believe that there is something more sinister at work behind the clown act. He and his administration aren't going to fix these problems and the people that voted for him have been duped if they think he is.

Bingo! Is it the clown act of an idiot or... I think "or" is in the lead.

On the other hand, I don't remember anything form the D camp that would have fixed the large scale problems either. Trying to combat a change candidate/platform with a status quo platform, errrr... ok.

Just now, villakram said:

Bingo! Is it the clown act of an idiot or... I think "or" is in the lead.

On the other hand, I don't remember anything form the D camp that would have fixed the large scale problems either. Trying to combat a change candidate/platform with a status quo platform, errrr... ok.

The economic solutions that she presented were an extension of Obama's platform. Sadly as a president Obama was ineffective for the policies that he wanted to champion. But I genuinely believe that Clinton shares his values and even moved to the left on certain issues because of Sanders. The messages were very hard to hear during the campaign due to an orangutang adolescent jumping up and down everyday demanding attention.

Washington is a mess, and there is so much money sloshing around that there is tons of corruption. BUT, the system is not one huge conspiracy cabal which is what Trump & alternative media would have you believe. The New York Times does not meet with the Bildeburg group and discuss how to make us all slaves to 14 men in a dark room somewhere. The world & politics is a mess of ambition, greed, all mixed up with people who actually do want to do the right thing and make a difference.

Is the status quo bad & beset with problems - yes absolutely. Does it warrant ripping it all up for the unknown and absolute anarchy of the clown who has threatened to destroy the free press and generally bully and intimidate anyone that opposes him? Well, I guess we're about to find out. 

• Like 1

Â