U.S. Politics

maqroll

21 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

MAGA-fans have to dig deep into their pockets now.

A Florida Republican proposed a state bill to direct taxpayer money to Trump’s legal fees. There's no bottom they can reach, apparently. 

19 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Couldn’t Trump get around that by using the 25th Amendment? I’m not scholar on this but couldn’t Trump do a dodgy somehow that to get a 3rd Term, Trump becomes VP to somebody and they resign on first day of office and then under Section 1 of the 25th Amendment the VP ascends to President for the remainder of the term thus circumventing the two term rule.

I know this requires a lot of things needing to happen but in a hypothetical scenario that Trump found a way, would this be constitutionally possible?

Hmmm. I’m not at all qualified to answer that question, but Wikipedia suggests that it’s debated whether it would permit someone to take a third term.

That said, I can’t imagine it’d go down great with the electorate and I also think it’d be awfully tempting for the guy who had been elected president and done the debates and all the campaigning etc and had the army under his control to just, y’know, not resign and instead spend four years being President. Trump couldn’t do anything about it if he did.

I think the more likely approach would be that he’d just anoint Donald Trump Jr as his chosen successor in the next election instead. But it remains to be seen whether anyone else could defy political gravity like Trump can, even his son.

Although all this is predicated on the idea that Trump actually wins the election. That’s far from a given at this point, and even if he does he also needs to win both the Senate and Congress to be able to govern effectively.

50 minutes ago, maqroll said:

A Florida Republican proposed a state bill to direct taxpayer money to Trump’s legal fees. There's no bottom they can reach, apparently. 

De Santis said he would veto the bill and has incurred Trump's wrath.   It was actually worded so it would pay legal fees of any politician who gets in trouble while fighting to protect freedom and democracy or some such garbage, but obviously aimed at Trump.   Can you imagine the chaos that could cause in the future?

24 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

De Santis said he would veto the bill and has incurred Trump's wrath.   It was actually worded so it would pay legal fees of any politician who gets in trouble while fighting to protect freedom and democracy or some such garbage, but obviously aimed at Trump.   Can you imagine the chaos that could cause in the future?

If DeSantis had decided not to challenge Trump this election, he probably wouldn't have vetoed it!

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

If DeSantis had decided not to challenge Trump this election, he probably wouldn't have vetoed it!

Not so sure about that.  I believe his decision to veto happened after he'd already dropped out and endorsed Trump.

7 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Not so sure about that.  I believe his decision to veto happened after he'd already dropped out and endorsed Trump.

DeSantis just smart enough to know how stupid the proposal is I guess. Embarrassing that it was even conceived. 

Crazy that the GOP talking point is border yet Trump wants to kill a bi-partisan Senate deal.  GOP is lining up against it even threatening to censure the Senate Republican who helped carve the needed deal just because Trump wanted to campaign on it.  It looks like it will backfire because everybody now knows that Republicans are the one hindering a border solution so now Democrats can campaign on it.

Just watching Biden on the news (ref the attack in Jordan), I hadn’t realised just how old and frail he is now. It’s unbelievable he’s at the wheel at arguably the most powerful country on the planet.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nick76 said:

Crazy that the GOP talking point is border yet Trump wants to kill a bi-partisan Senate deal.  GOP is lining up against it even threatening to censure the Senate Republican who helped carve the needed deal just because Trump wanted to campaign on it.  It looks like it will backfire because everybody now knows that Republicans are the one hindering a border solution so now Democrats can campaign on it.

Truly remarkable. Lankford is hard right. The bill is a concession to the hard right. Actionable and on the table but it's going to get tanked because an ex-president facing 96 felony charges has commanded them to tank it. Just another layer of Republican hypocrisy, spread extra thick.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Genie said:

Just watching Biden on the news (ref the attack in Jordan), I hadn’t realised just how old and frail he is now. It’s unbelievable he’s at the wheel at arguably the most powerful country on the planet.

Being president is known to age people drastically. And when he was already old AF...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Being president is known to age people drastically. And when he was already old AF...

If he wins the election Biden will be the oldest man ever to become President, a record he already holds, having taken it from the prevlous incumbent, Donald Trump.

if he loses the election to Trump, Trump will become the oldest man ever to become President and reclaim his record.

It'd be funny if it wasn't the Presidency of the only global superpower in a dangerous world.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If he wins the election Biden will be the oldest man ever to become President, a record he already holds, having taken it from the prevlous incumbent, Donald Trump.

if he loses the election to Trump, Trump will become the oldest man ever to become President and reclaim his record.

It'd be funny if it wasn't the Presidency of the only global superpower in a dangerous world.

Additional to that is the age of Congress members, the graph below is from a year ago, and Biden/Trump are youngsters to a few of these.

https://fiscalnote.com/blog/how-old-118th-congress

IMG_1878.webp

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Yeah, I really think there should be term limits on more offices than just the President. Adding them to the supreme court and both houses of Congress would probably be a big improvement. Something like 20 years seems the absolute maximum anyone should be able to spend in those three institutions. The same is true in the UK as well. 

There'd still be some old people in politics that way, but only after they'd spent most of their life doing something else.

• Like 3

2020 and 2022 ushered in a wave of young congressional freshmen but with the way super PAC’s work, the elders have so much pull in donors and dark money that it’s difficult to unseat them no matter how awful they are. So in consolidated races like the Senate, it is a mammoth task to overturn any of the entrenched states like New York, California, Texas, Iowa, etc. 

With little competition from the other party, there is little incentive for the winning party to consolidate on anyone other than the incumbent save for some unique takeovers. 

Just as true of the states with heavily gerrymandered districts for House seats. 

6 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

Yeah, I really think there should be term limits on more offices than just the President. Adding them to the supreme court and both houses of Congress would probably be a big improvement. Something like 20 years seems the absolute maximum anyone should be able to spend in those three institutions. The same is true in the UK as well. 

There'd still be some old people in politics that way, but only after they'd spent most of their life doing something else.

You would be pleased to know that this is a Trump election promise. Though I’m not sure it is within the power of the president to change 🤔

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

You would be pleased to know that this is a Trump election promise. Though I’m not sure it is within the power of the president to change 🤔

I believe it’d need to be a constitutional amendment, so 2/3 of both houses.

I’d be absolutely amazed if Trump was willing to do it for the Supreme Court though (or if he did, his party would refuse to vote for it).

Edited by Panto_Villan

2 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

I believe it’d need to be a constitutional amendment, so 2/3 of both houses.

I’d be absolutely amazed if Trump was willing to do it for the Supreme Court though (or if he did, his party would refuse to vote for it).

True, I think his announcement the other day was just based on congress. 

• Like 1

Â