U.S. Politics

maqroll

The firing squad thing could work well you’d think, they could get local kids to do the shooting as part of their prep for dealing with an inevitable pending massacre at their school, two birds, one stone, boom.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

The only small sliver of hope is that Trump can only do 1 more term, that should hopefully limit the damage if the unthinkable happens.

You think so? He'll do a Putin and increase term limits, or create a new role, like PM above President. We can't say for certain any more that the establishment will stop him. He attempted a putsch at the end of his last term, and half the country (or more) are still going to vote for him.   

8 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

You think so? He'll do a Putin and increase term limits, or create a new role, like PM above President. We can't say for certain any more that the establishment will stop him. He attempted a putsch at the end of his last term, and half the country (or more) are still going to vote for him.   

Is that within his power as president? I thought the term limits were in the constitution?

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Is that within his power as president? I thought the term limits were in the constitution?

The 2nd amendment contains the words 'well regulated militia'. Those are generally ignored. 

6 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

The 2nd amendment contains the words 'well regulated militia'. Those are generally ignored. 

They aren't, they are just laying out the reason why citizens have the right to bear arms at the time of that amendment being written, it matters not whether those words are there or not, they are just added background to the amendment.

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

They aren't, they are just laying out the reason why citizens have the right to bear arms at the time of that amendment being written, it matters not whether those words are there or not, they are just added background to the amendment.

The NRA have the amendment written on the wall in their headquarters with said 'militia' clause edited out. And they have been lobbying for the right of the 'individual' to bear arms for at least two decades. I'm not sure one person can be called a militia, well regulated or not.

6 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

MAGA-fans have to dig deep into their pockets now.

It's going to be a real decision whether to send this month's spare $100 to Trump or the crooked Christian preacher of your choice. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

MAGA-fans have to dig deep into their pockets now.

Will we get a third trial?!?! Is 83m enough to stop him continuing to defame her or will he keep going….hmmm…

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Will we get a third trial?!?! Is 83m enough to stop him continuing to defame her or will he keep going….hmmm…

Saw on Twitter and don't know if true, that he have to pay before he make an appeal. 

1 minute ago, NoelVilla said:

Saw on Twitter and don't know if true, that he have to pay before he make an appeal. 

Really, that will hurt him.  I assumed it would go into some kind of escrow but even funnier if he had to pay Carroll.

12 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Just seen this…he can get an appeal bond

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

He would only be able to appeal the award anyway. That's at the high end of what was seen as reasonable according to the usual guidelines so an appeal couldn't adjust the figure much.

It's been entertaining following the trial. His legal team were desperately trying to get a mistrial from their antics. I assume some will get disbarred (or whatever the equivalent is over there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Just seen this…he can get an appeal bond

How much cash does he have “liquid”? Can he pay stuff like this without having to flog or mortgage stuff?

Edited by Genie

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Get your Trump is innocent NFT and pardon if he wins the next election, just sent $250

The irony will be totally lost on Lutheran Republicans, I'm sure. Someone needs to nail the court order to the door of Mar-a-Lago

7 hours ago, Genie said:

How much cash does he have “liquid”? Can he pay stuff like this without having to flog or mortgage stuff?

No idea, generally these kind of people generally have their money working for them even in cash on hold, so I would assume he would have to free some up from something because of the size needed.

edit: just saw this

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, HKP90 said:

21 hours ago, LondonLax said:

So this is something I was genuinely concerned about a week or so back, but a friend of mine pointed out that amending the constitution requires either a 2/3 vote of both houses or a 2/3 vote of the states, and there’s no way either party will have that much power any time soon.

I also don’t think even Trump could pull off trying to disregard that. It’s about as cut and dried a legal question as you can get. Even hardcore MAGA supporters can count to two.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

So this is something I was genuinely concerned about a week or so back, but a friend of mine pointed out that amending the constitution requires either a 2/3 vote of both houses or a 2/3 vote of the states, and there’s no way either party will have that much power any time soon.

I also don’t think even Trump could pull off trying to disregard that. It’s about as cut and dried a legal question as you can get. Even hardcore MAGA supporters can count to two.

Couldn’t Trump get around that by using the 25th Amendment? I’m not scholar on this but couldn’t Trump do a dodgy somehow that to get a 3rd Term, Trump becomes VP to somebody and they resign on first day of office and then under Section 1 of the 25th Amendment the VP ascends to President for the remainder of the term thus circumventing the two term rule.

I know this requires a lot of things needing to happen but in a hypothetical scenario that Trump found a way, would this be constitutionally possible?

Â