U.S. Politics

maqroll

57 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

I hope so, they are just not visible right now.

But they keep turning up to vote…in the midterms, in 2023 elections, even that Special Election in a state seat in Florida this week where Democrat Keen flipped a Republican state seat.  Just because they aren’t mad crazy MAGA vocal nut jobs they are there and using their right to vote and seem energised.

Edited by nick76

4 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Saw a recent poll saying Biden is hemorrhaging support from the under 35s and the Hispanic community. Seems to be behind in most polls v Trump now.

Do you have the poll, just the name, as it might indicate who funded it.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

But they keep turning up to vote…in the midterms, in 2023 elections, even that Special Election in a state seat in Florida this week where Democrat Keen flipped a Republican state seat.  Just because they aren’t mad crazy MAGA vocal nut jobs they are there and using their right to vote and seem energised.

I hope so.

It's really going to be key for Biden not to make any major gaffes in the debates later this year.

Last time around the Republican attacks on him being old and senile backfired, because all he had to do was look compos mentis and he'd outperformed expectations. It'll kinda be the same this time too, but the guy will be a couple of weeks short of 82 on election day and the chances of him dropping the ball are going to be higher.

Sorta feel like he should have groomed a successor over his term tbh.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Saw a recent poll saying Biden is hemorrhaging support from the under 35s and the Hispanic community. Seems to be behind in most polls v Trump now.

There are 2 different points here. Biden is losing support according to the Suffolk University/USA Today poll, that's true, but not entirely to Trump, also keep in mind Cubans, particularly in Florida tend to favour "not Democrats". The overall poll, the SU/USA Today poll has Biden way ahead of Trump, but seemingly its Dem funded. Rep funded, has Trump ahead, Dem funded has Biden, non partisan has them even. So its best to take a wide view, but with a large amount of salt at this point.

Edited by Seat68
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

There are 2 different points here. Biden is losing support according to the Suffolk University/USA Today poll, that's true, but not entirely to Trump, also keep in mind Cubans, particularly in Florida tend to favour "not Democrats". The overall poll, the SU/USA Today poll has Biden way ahead of Trump, but seemingly its Dem funded. Rep funded, has Trump ahead, Dem funded has Biden, non partisan has them even. So its best to take a wide view, but with a large amount of salt at this point.

Ah I didn't realise a lot of US polls were party funded, although can't say I'm surprised.

Still seems wild that it's neck and neck after all that's happened surrounding Trump but we live in strange times.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Do you really believe the younger generation is moving from a Democrat nominee.  In the current environment both in society and policy issues that a Democrat nominee is losing votes or even worse would want or even vote Trump where previously they were favouring voting Democrat side.  It doesn’t make sense, the younger generation that were left 4 years ago are probably more left in 2024.

As for minorities who were Democrat leaning, why would they be leaving when the leading Republican nominee is talking about ‘poisoning the blood’, talking about mass immigration and attacking cities minorities are in because of minorities.

Yes there is a chance these people won’t vote but they certainly (if they voted Democrat before) now going to vote for Trump.  In fact I’d argue it’s most likely the two groups above are more likely to vote for the Democrat nominee whoever it was just because of Trump and MAGA comments and policies.  Added to that the abortion issue is massive which continues to energise women and Democrat voters.

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Do you really believe the younger generation is moving from a Democrat nominee.  In the current environment both in society and policy issues that a Democrat nominee is losing votes or even worse would want or even vote Trump where previously they were favouring voting Democrat side.  It doesn’t make sense, the younger generation that were left 4 years ago are probably more left in 2024.

As for minorities who were Democrat leaning, why would they be leaving when the leading Republican nominee is talking about ‘poisoning the blood’, talking about mass immigration and attacking cities minorities are in because of minorities.

Yes there is a chance these people won’t vote but they certainly (if they voted Democrat before) now going to vote for Trump.  In fact I’d argue it’s most likely the two groups above are more likely to vote for the Democrat nominee whoever it was just because of Trump and MAGA comments and policies.  Added to that the abortion issue is massive which continues to energise women and Democrat voters.

I'm hoping it's not the case but that's what that particular poll showed, which @Seat68 thinks was seemingly Dem funded. Unless of course it could be to try and motivate their base to vote?

And while I don't see many voters switching sides from the last election there is a chance that some stay home which the Democrats can't afford.

One thing I did read is that a lot of youth don't like Biden's actions and stance on the Israel/Palestine conflict.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

The younger generation are more left and that is precisely why they hate Biden, for what his unquestioning support of Israel is doing to Gaza. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

The younger generation are more left and that is precisely why they hate Biden, for what his unquestioning support of Israel is doing to Gaza. 

Oh I agree but they hate Trump more, they hate what Republicans have done with abortion issues, LGBTQ+ and gender identity issues, minorities issues….Trump and Republicans are energising the younger generation against them so why they disagree heavily with Biden on that issue they have a bigger enemy.  

A lot of these voters aren’t voting Democrat because Biden is on the ticket they are voting Democrat because they are against Trump and that’s what some are missing.  

It’s not Biden vs Trump, it’s Biden and anti-Trump vs Trump.

2 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

Last time around the Republican attacks on him being old and senile backfired, because all he had to do was look compos mentis and he'd outperformed expectations.

It'll be interesting to see how they go with that this time as Trump will be older for this campaign than Biden was for the last one.

I still think it's pretty unlikely that either of these live through a full term.

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Oh I agree but they hate Trump more, they hate what Republicans have done with abortion issues, LGBTQ+ and gender identity issues, minorities issues….Trump and Republicans are energising the younger generation against them so why they disagree heavily with Biden on that issue they have a bigger enemy.  

A lot of these voters aren’t voting Democrat because Biden is on the ticket they are voting Democrat because they are against Trump and that’s what some are missing.  

It’s not Biden vs Trump, it’s Biden and anti-Trump vs Trump.

Or they are not going to vote for either 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villan95 said:

I'm hoping it's not the case but that's what that particular poll showed, which @Seat68 thinks was seemingly Dem funded. Unless of course it could be to try and motivate their base to vote?

And while I don't see many voters switching sides from the last election there is a chance that some stay home which the Democrats can't afford.

One thing I did read is that a lot of youth don't like Biden's actions and stance on the Israel/Palestine conflict.

3 hours ago, villan95 said:

Yup, this is the thing. Biden has become wildly unpopular with folks under the age of 35 because he is very central and the demographics have shifted way to the left. 

37 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Or they are not going to vote for either 

I'd say this is most likely. I am in this demographic and will probably not vote for either Trump or Biden. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Biden has become wildly unpopular with folks under the age of 35 because he is very centre right and the demographics have shifted slightly to the centre. 

FTFY 

1 hour ago, Villaphan04 said:

I'd say this is most likely. I am in this demographic and will probably not vote for either Trump or Biden. 

I just can't figure this attitude.

If you can't see Trump is pretty much evil at worst and at best highly dangerous, how can you be meh about voting. 

If I actively disliked Biden I'd get out and vote for him and constantly encourage all my friends and family to do the same just for the sake of the nation and the world.

Even a chance of Trump winning scares the shit out of me and I don't even have to live in the country he's running. 

I don't understand how Americans can't see the danger in him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It'll be interesting to see how they go with that this time as Trump will be older for this campaign than Biden was for the last one.

I still think it's pretty unlikely that either of these live through a full term.

I think they'll go harder, if anything. Biden is still older than Trump, and it's not like politicians have much problem being hypocrites.

For me personally I'm not sure both of them will die in the next five years, but I'd certainly be surprised if they both manage to get to 2028 without one of them dying or being incapacitated by a serious medical condition.

I'd still vote for Biden any day of the week but the thought of there being tough calls to make about war with Iran (or China) etc and the man responsible being 85 isn't exactly reassuring. Your brain just isn't working at full capacity once you reach that age.

But imagine Trump getting dementia in office. At least Biden would probably have the good grace to stand aside. God knows what would happen with Trump, but it'd probably be far more dangerous and chaotic than him seeing out his whole term in his "normal" state of mind.

1 hour ago, Villaphan04 said:

Yeah. Can you expand on your reasoning for this?

Are you not bothered about the potential damage Trump could do to the US institutionally, and the wider Western world? Or do you believe it's fearmongering and actually it'll all be fine if he's elected?

11 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I'd still vote for Biden any day of the week but the thought of there being tough calls to make about war with Iran (or China) etc and the man responsible being 85 isn't exactly reassuring. Your brain just isn't working at full capacity once you reach that age.

It’s like being CEO of a big company, you have experts who have experts working for them. All you have to do rubber stamp the recommendation (still not ideal being 80 odd though).

Â