U.S. Politics

maqroll

Christie apparently going to announce as well.   I suspect he'll go all in criticizing Trump, which the others are too chicken to do.   It will be interesting to see if he can get some of the non-MAGA Republicans engaged again.  I can see the GOP support split between the die-hard Trump idiots; the MAGA-inclined crowd who are fed up with Trump's odious behavior but not his politics or general attitude, who will support DeSantis; and the not-as deranged conservatives, who would flock to Christie.  I think the rest of the field will be out very early.  They're mostly trying to be Trump without being Trumpish, and it ain't going to work.   Voters will either want MAGA and owning the libs, in which case they have 2 flavors to choose from, or they want to move away completely, which I think is the bloc Christie will go after.

8 hours ago, sne said:

Pence running in 2024 according to NBC

Really hard to see what section of the party he’s going to be aiming for. The trump supporters despise him for betraying the fuhrer and the moderates don’t like him because he was the enabler who only decided to abandon ship because armed insurrection was a step a little too far.

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

Really hard to see what section of the party he’s going to be aiming for. The trump supporters despise him for betraying the fuhrer and the moderates don’t like him because he was the enabler who only decided to abandon ship because armed insurrection was a step a little too far.

The diehard evangelicals. Presumably he’ll bring them along with him for the campaign then do a deal with one of the stronger candidates to direct them to vote in that direction. 

Edited by LondonLax

23 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Christie apparently going to announce as well.   I suspect he'll go all in criticizing Trump, which the others are too chicken to do.   It will be interesting to see if he can get some of the non-MAGA Republicans engaged again.  I can see the GOP support split between the die-hard Trump idiots; the MAGA-inclined crowd who are fed up with Trump's odious behavior but not his politics or general attitude, who will support DeSantis; and the not-as deranged conservatives, who would flock to Christie.  I think the rest of the field will be out very early.  They're mostly trying to be Trump without being Trumpish, and it ain't going to work.   Voters will either want MAGA and owning the libs, in which case they have 2 flavors to choose from, or they want to move away completely, which I think is the bloc Christie will go after.

I'd like to see a Liz Cheney/Adam Kinzinger third party ticket to siphon off votes from Trump or whoever the Republican nominee is. It's hard to believe that we are about to do Trump v Biden all over again. I just want to pretend this isn't happening.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Christie apparently going to announce as well.   I suspect he'll go all in criticizing Trump, which the others are too chicken to do.

Yeah, he's the only one with the balls to do it. He could be a useful guy for the Dems in that respect. Won't get the nomination but could make a show of landing punches on Trump.

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I'd like to see a Liz Cheney/Adam Kinzinger third party ticket to siphon off votes from Trump or whoever the Republican nominee is. It's hard to believe that we are about to do Trump v Biden all over again. I just want to pretend this isn't happening.

I think a Cheney/Kinzinger ticket would take more votes from Biden than from Trump.  A lot of independents and never-Trump Republicans might welcome a non-geriatric and/or non-Democrat alternative to Trump.   I forget what happens if no candidate gets 273 electoral votes.   Doesn't it go to the House?   That would not end well.

• Like 1

This looks like good news (apart from the bit about Biden losing his marbles).

Summary

1. Rishi Sunak and Joe Biden announce new economic partnership called "Atlantic Declaration"
  2. It's not the same as a free trade deal, but is designed to strengthen co-operation between the countries
  3. It will "reduce vulnerabilities" across supply chains and "keep Russia out of global civil nuclear power market"
  4. Sunak says the US-UK economic relationship has "never been stronger"
  5. He says the new agreement means new US investment in the UK, and reduced trade barriers in "technologies of the future"
  6. Earlier, Sunak thanked Biden for his accommodation at Blair House - also known as the President's Guest House
  7. He said the building in Washington DC was better than the spare room in Downing Street
  8. In the same chat, Biden called the prime minister "Mr President", before correcting himself

link

1 hour ago, Genie said:

He says the new agreement means new US investment in the UK, and reduced trade barriers in "technologies of the future"

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Which country do you reckon that favours 

3 hours ago, Genie said:

This looks like good news (apart from the bit about Biden losing his marbles).

link

They probably still had a word doc on file that they could just print out again from last time they did one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65852062

Trump indicted over classified documents in Miami

Mr Trump, 76, faces seven charges including unauthorised retention of classified files, US media reported. The charges are not yet public.

It is the second indictment of Mr Trump and the first ever federal indictment of a former president.

surely some shit will stick soon!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, theboyangel said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65852062

surely some shit will stick soon!

I believe there's a 3rd one coming later this year as well for his phonecall asking Georgia to find a specific number of votes. 

So 3 indictments and guilty in a civil sexual assault charge. Quite a year. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

Â